Hard Suspension

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Hard Suspension

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 am

I just got home from a 2200K 4 day trip with 2 V4 1100 Tuono factories, a BMW 1000RR, and a KTM 1290R, at the start of the road trip, (a fuking fast road trip) i had power mode sport, and SUS setting in Street, rider + gear, and the rear of the bike wallowed something shocking in fast 140+K corners that had any sort of dip or bump, the guys said your bike looks crap at higher speed from behind. Ive long known the rear spring is to soft for fast riding. i spent most of the trip after the first day in Sport SUS, rider + luggage. this was much better for fast riding, when higher in the rev range, it seems the electronic valving reacts to revs and speed and firms the bike up in sport mode (SUS), the bike handled great, cornered fast, and felt far more stable, but when riding through slow sections, it felt harsh, i tried sport with 2 people, but too harsh for a solo rider, i also tried Street SUS mode with 2 people, this felt great on the slow sections, nice and compliant, soaked up everything, but flat out, the bike would wallow just a little, so i found i mostly was in Sport SUS mode, 1 rider plus luggage, for fast riding, and i can say the GT can really corner, through the fast windie roads through the Waioweka Gorge, i sat on the tail of the BMW1000RR, and pulled away from the 2 V4 Tuonos, there were a few damp shaded corners, and the roadtec 01s on the GT, and the PR4s on the BMW, paid dividens, the 2 V4s on supersport tires dropped back The GT can run with very fast bikes. Now towards the end of the trip, my mate on a 2017 V4 Tuono Factory wanted to swap bikes, we did, his Ohlins suspended V4, with OZ racing light weight wheels, was incredibly fast, the suspension was incredible in the low speed dampning, but felt a little harsh in its high speed dampning, but very nice over all. when we got off the bikes, the first thing he said was "how the fuck do you ride that thing (GT) so fast" he didn't like the suspension, he said it felt harsh low in the rev range, but got better the faster it was ridden. So the GTs suspension isn't perfect, but by fuck you can ride the wheels of this bike if you get confident on it. Big plug for the Roadtec 01s, they handled everything i threw at them, incredible tire. And an incredible bike (GT) and 4 days of amazing NZ roads with 4 other great riders, it doesn't get any better than that. :D
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

akarmire
250cc
250cc
City: Salem

Post by akarmire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Well....I'm an idiot. I've read somewhere on here that the Angel GT's feel shitty under inflated and l believe thats exactly what it was. I thought that something just went wrong with the bike recently or l was pushing the bike more since l was used to it.

Every since my dealer turned off my tpms I've been running 32F and 36R( never realized it started then) I set my cold pressures at 34F and 40R this morning and it feels like a completely different bike, its not a GP bike but I'll agree with DaveNZ that you can ride the shit out of it. After todays fast loop on local roads I can say I love her a again...

Question for the guys who've switched from the GT's: is this something specific to the Pirelli GTs or are your new tires very sensitive to air pressure too? No doubt im switching from the GT as soon as the rears done but I'm curious.

If anyone is hating how it handles put factory air pressures in them and see if that doesn't solve it or at least help A LOT.

Thanks guys

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 pm

akaramire, I've done many many miles on Angel GTs, I've always run them 34-35 psi front, and 36-38 rear. when i brought the GT, i didn't gel with the Angels on it. (i actually binned the bike) i never got the same confidence i had with the Angels on my Multi, i switched to the M7RRs, much better confidence tire, but i barely got 3500Ks (all fast riding) but now on the roadtec 01s, and man my confidence has returned, they took about 500-1000Ks to really come good, well and truly need to be run in, but they are a really great tire. i also have the tire pressure sensor turned off.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 am

Good info Dave. I'll definitely consider those when l get a new set. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GKGorman
125cc
125cc
City: Rancho Palos Verde
Colour: Silver

Post by GKGorman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Dewayne Edwards 1974 wrote:I have a 16 and so far not had any of the issues with suspension. I just spent a weekend at Deals Gap and it worked great had it set in sport, single with baggage. If it's not every 16 then it might be specific to a select few. In which case you might have a better chance getting it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Deals Gap is smooth. The hard, harsh front would be fine there in any mode. Yeah, I know the road just a bit: https://youtu.be/OBfFJfKHdYQ

The most comparable roads I can think of to the typical CA road would be the the two miles of warwoman road from Clayton GA to Hwy 28.

But I'm having great difficulty even thinking of roads east coast that are truly comparable to the crap pavement of many of the roads in CA. Yeah they exist but there's so many roads with good-great pavement out there that I never went back to the bad roads.

On my '16, the front is harsh and the springs are too hard. This is transferring the energy to the rear and making the compress then the rear compresses again when it hits the bump and the electronic suspension, probably rightly, allows the suspension to rebound quickly to allow travel for the next big hit. Thus the rear logos and feels soft but it's because the front is too hard and harsh.

I'll be looking into changing the preload in the front, softer springs, and '17 internals in that order real soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperDukeGT
125cc
125cc
City: Nanaimo
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SuperDukeGT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:50 pm

One of the reasons why you may be finding the GT suspension harder as opposed to your 1190 is the wheelbase on the GT is shorter which will make a huge difference in handling and suspension. After all, the GT really is a sportbike with panniers.

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Post by jjscsix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 am

I've owned a lot of bikes, three right now. I don't find the suspension overly stiff at all. I'm perplexed by the comments on this thread.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

eXiLe88
125cc
125cc
City: Milan
Colour: Black

Post by eXiLe88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Came yesterday from a 300 km ride, had another on Saturday about 100kms.

I changed the preload to rider + gear and kept the Angel GTs on the lower side at 2,3 and 2,6 cold (atm).
Much, much better.

The front now is stable at higher speed and the rear has just enough movement to allow to feel the grip, the Angel GT front is wooden but it has grip to spare.

I'll need some longer rides to confirm my impressions but those will be coming up soon

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 am

Yea, it would be nice to have a bit more preload dialed in in solo rider. I like the preload setting with rider and luggage, but it reduces the rebound dampening, speeding up the rebound too much.

Pete Werner
125cc
125cc
City: boise

Post by Pete Werner » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm

jjscsix wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 am
I've owned a lot of bikes, three right now. I don't find the suspension overly stiff at all. I'm perplexed by the comments on this thread.
I'm at 2100 miles on my 17 GT and feel exactly the same way. They can't be talking about my bike. I weigh 160 lbs completely geared up to ride. I have spent a lot of time playing with various settings and it works for me better than anything I have owned.
I generally am in street or sport w/1 and luggage.
I have as much confidence w/ SDGT as with my 2015 Yamaha R-1, and I'm not sure which I'm faster with, both feel amazing! And the R-1 has been hacked and intake, exhaust etc all done, dynoed at 178 at rear tire!

dasjefe
125cc
125cc
City: TAYLOR

Post by dasjefe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

I have a 2017 with a little over 2k and the suspension seems fine to me. I had a 2013 Tuono before the GT and The T would detach a retina riding over beat-up country roads it was so stiff. I weigh about 215 and with the bags on in 1+luggage preload it feels just right. I just leave the suspension on 'sport'

ELEVENS
125cc
125cc
City: Great Lakes

Post by ELEVENS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Pete Werner wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm
jjscsix wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 am
I'm at 2100 miles on my 17 GT and feel exactly the same way. They can't be talking about my bike. I weigh 160 lbs completely geared up to ride. I have spent a lot of time playing with various settings and it works for me better than anything I have owned.
I generally am in street or sport w/1 and luggage.
I have as much confidence w/ SDGT as with my 2015 Yamaha R-1, and I'm not sure which I'm faster with, both feel amazing! And the R-1 has been hacked and intake, exhaust etc all done, dynoed at 178 at rear tire!
Fully agree. I too have an 2015 R1 (M) fully modded and tracked regularly and previously a Ducati 1098S with custom superbike-spec'd Ohlins and triple trees. My '17 SDGT with 4000 miles is bloody brilliant. It tore up Deal's Gap running with 4 very fast riders with years of AMA superbike racing experience.

I love not having to get the spanners out and do the clickedy-click when my wifee wants to take a little spin on the pillion. COMFORT is absolutely worthless! There is very little damping control of the bike by the suspension - wallows terribly and even going straight on the superslab it bounces on expansion joints. STREET or SPORT is fine. SPORT seems to add confidence when "hauling the mail".

Lots of feedback in this thread without mentioning rider weight. Of course preload will feel harsh if you're a lightweight! I weigh 190 pounds all geared up and the preload seems fine. The only suspension complaint I have is that I miss the granular adjustment available in the Ohlins semi-automatic suspension. Not that it actually needs fine-tuning, but I just like to have the adjustments for something to compare.

LOVE this bike!
Other bike: '15 Yam R1M

jcsh
125cc
125cc
City: nelson
Year: 2014

Post by jcsh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Just picked up my 2017 model GT. I had a 2016 before, a very early build in 2015. It had truly horrible suspension. The 2017 bike is fine. There are differences in the parts list between 2016 and 2017 models. This probably explains the differing experiences noted here.

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:27 am

akarmire wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm
Well....I'm an idiot. I've read somewhere on here that the Angel GT's feel shitty under inflated and l believe thats exactly what it was. I thought that something just went wrong with the bike recently or l was pushing the bike more since l was used to it.

Every since my dealer turned off my tpms I've been running 32F and 36R( never realized it started then) I set my cold pressures at 34F and 40R this morning and it feels like a completely different bike, its not a GP bike but I'll agree with DaveNZ that you can ride the shit out of it. After todays fast loop on local roads I can say I love her a again...

Question for the guys who've switched from the GT's: is this something specific to the Pirelli GTs or are your new tires very sensitive to air pressure too? No doubt im switching from the GT as soon as the rears done but I'm curious.

If anyone is hating how it handles put factory air pressures in them and see if that doesn't solve it or at least help A LOT.

Thanks guys

G'day akamire........ Lazy saturday arvo...... trawling the forum for interest....... had a thought when i re-read your old post......... you may have a tyre pressure gauge that might not tell the truth (I had one like that years ago..... turned out it was over reading by 8psi :shock: ).

If you are going in for a dealer service.... ask them to turn the TPMS back on, but leave the warnings 'off'.

This will allow the TPMS to give on-board pressure readings, but not annoy you with warnings. I have three gauges and they all agree with the 1290 TPMS so I can test them and make sure they haven't gone silly.

I use 34psi cold front and 36psi cold rear and the Angel GT's are fine....... but I can't wait to upgrade to Michelin PR5's when I am allowed to get back on the beast and do some kms......... ;)

Cheers from Aus :)

Ps My Gt doesn't like apex corrugations....... but as I haven't been on it since March, I'll have to start learning all over again....... 8-)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
akarmire wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks guys

G'day akamire........ Lazy saturday arvo...... trawling the forum for interest....... had a thought when i re-read your old post......... you may have a tyre pressure gauge that might not tell the truth (I had one like that years ago..... turned out it was over reading by 8psi :shock: ).

If you are going in for a dealer service.... ask them to turn the TPMS back on, but leave the warnings 'off'.

This will allow the TPMS to give on-board pressure readings, but not annoy you with warnings. I have three gauges and they all agree with the 1290 TPMS so I can test them and make sure they haven't gone silly.

I use 34psi cold front and 36psi cold rear and the Angel GT's are fine....... but I can't wait to upgrade to Michelin PR5's when I am allowed to get back on the beast and do some kms......... ;)

Cheers from Aus :)

Ps My Gt doesn't like apex corrugations....... but as I haven't been on it since March, I'll have to start learning all over again....... 8-)
Good thought Dave, I did have my gauge checked at track day and it was very close.
I think a lot of my problem was that my front was wore out, I've since installed some Dunlop Q3+'s on there and it's a different bike.
I don't know if you saw the post of me taking it to a track day, but the summary is it was amazing. All worries of suspension or traction control intervening to much were gone after my first session. Put some race rubber on them and let them eat!

Good luck with the recovery, I have seen my Dad go through that a few times( heart transplant 2 years ago and doing great) just keep your spirits as high as possible and you'll be back to riding in no time!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:49 am

Cheers Aka, I see you got your knee down....... :mrgreen: lookin good!
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)