MTC Failure What Do You Think?

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: MTC Failure What Do You Think?

Post by Aussie Dave » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 am

Cheers all.......had a long chat with my cousin 'John' the bike mechanic, engine builder, dyno tuner and general miracle worker......

He was telling me about some major 'faults' that had developed on some recent Yamaha's and Kawasaki's in his time working for a big suburban dealership. Seems the Japs are outsourcing more components (like the Euro manufacturers),instead of doing the 'in-house' manufacturing thing, and they are having some painful failures as a result of loss of quality control over outsourced items.

We also spoke about a long running issue with Honda's ST1300. They have a reputation for ECU faults - which he found were caused by a wiring harness coming loose and interfering with a water temp sensor which in turn 'told' the ECU to richen/lean the mixtures and put a warning light on the dash.....he wrote a detailed report to Honda Aus, and nothing happened.......so a great bike gets a horrible reputation - except for the ones he fixed (well, he could have left the police units alone and just fixed ordinary ST13's... :lol: .....eh?)

I suppose that's life - trying to keep prices down and hoping quality remains high......maybe it has always been an issue, relying on good pre-delivery to correct any faults prior to the sale.....or a clever problem solver with a bit of experience, who can super sleuth the often simple cause of seemingly complex issues on some bikes.

I don't get much time with my cousin the mechanic....but it is always interesting .. ;)

Got home early today......cleaned some of the grime of the Gt......still have to bath it properly and shine it nicely, but at least the crud is off :lol:

Cheers from the land down-under :)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

mick shere
500cc
500cc
City: Plymouth

Post by mick shere » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 pm

97 miles on the clock first ride out since bringing the bike home, turn the ignition off, i wasnt happy with the lack of lean on the bike on the side stand (it seems rather high after my last bike that leant right over) so I turn the ignition back on to ride 10 yards to a shallower camber and the mtc failure display flashes up.
I turned the mtc off and back on and the mtc goes out but the abs/tc lights stay on when i try and turn the abs off and on it says close throttle control (and yes it is shut) and i can hear continuous whirring from the bike.
Not chuffed, its 80 miles to my dealer, any suggestions for a reset?

mick shere
500cc
500cc

Post by mick shere » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Just a thought after watching the youtube vid about the valve in the exhaust, I used the kill switch for the first time today, immediately afterwards the mtc failure started

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:17 am

mick shere wrote:97 miles on the clock first ride out since bringing the bike home, turn the ignition off, i wasnt happy with the lack of lean on the bike on the side stand (it seems rather high after my last bike that leant right over) so I turn the ignition back on to ride 10 yards to a shallower camber and the mtc failure display flashes up.
I turned the mtc off and back on and the mtc goes out but the abs/tc lights stay on when i try and turn the abs off and on it says close throttle control (and yes it is shut) and i can hear continuous whirring from the bike.
MTC failure displaying, can often mean the exhaust valve is causing a problem, sticking valve, or cables not working properly, sometimes just turning the bike off for 20 mins, and the MTC failure disappears. Close Throttle control, usually appears when some changes are made, i.e. Street to sport mode etc, even if the throttle is closed, it still states this. You could if you want, remove the muffler, look at the exhaust valve as some one turns the key on, you will see the valve open and shut, or is it shut and open, anyway you will see it operating, the bike always does this on ignition on before start up, its checking that the valve is infact opperating as it should. for some reason, a lot of bikes have been throwing up this fault code. (MTC failure)
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Richard
125cc
125cc
City: Aberdeen
Model: SMT

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

1990s Yamaha 1000 Exups used to do this all the time. Exhaust valve would stick shut and then no revs above 4K. 60mph 1000 cc superbike!! Solution was simple, drop out the valve once every so often (3 bolts) and coat the moving parts with Molybdenum DiSulphide grease. lasted a couple of thousand miles on average.

You would think that this kind of problem would be sorted by now though.

Had no mechanical problems with my 2017 SDGT so far but it hasn't been that far yet (1200 miles). Planning a trip to the Bol D'Or in September so will have a better view of reliability then.
So long as its not as bad as the clutch slave cylinder failing in the Italian alps (990 Adventure in 2014) I will be happy.

Cheers Richard

furndog
125cc
125cc
City: Bellingham
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by furndog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:20 pm

mick shere wrote:
You never know what these things are going to do, at least mine anyway. Mine had MTC failure twice now. The bike went in to "limp mode" but after sitting for a short while and restating the failure message disappeared and ran fine. If that's your case you're fine otherwise you'll have to limp to the dealer for a reset and diagnosis, there are several conditions that can cause the MTC failure.
Good luck, have fun, and don't break anything

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

I get the feeling the the sensor that oversees the exhaust valve operation could be quite sensitive, just a minor bit of restriction on the valve may trigger the MTC warning, but as above, if yo let the bike sit for 20 mins, and if there is no actual problem with the value action, the warning goes away.(hopefully)
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

mick shere
500cc
500cc

Post by mick shere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Im travelling up tomorrow, I spoke to a mechanic today and he said the cause could be my turning the ignition off too soon (via the kill switch) after restarting, not allowing the start up process to finish so "confusing" the electronics.
He is going to put it on diagnostics and hope a reset and clear the error codes....

mick shere
500cc
500cc

Post by mick shere » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Set off today to the garage, after a couple of miles I noticed the lights had gone out... stopped/started 5 times on a long detour home ( would have been impolite not to ;-) ) just a thought, do the abs and tc lights stay on until after you set off?
Could have been chasing a 'red herring after the mtc alarm disappeared

Flingit
125cc
125cc
City: Hillcrest

Post by Flingit » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:03 pm

These exhaust servo motors seem to be a real problem! I fitted a Remus link pipe and got the dreaded MTC warning! Took my bike back to the dealer and told them to sort this cr*p out! They found the servo was faulty. They are going to replace it with a "dongle" which will eliminate that swine servo and hopefully cure the MTC saga!

SuperDukeGT
50cc
50cc
City: Nanaimo
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SuperDukeGT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey Flingit!

If your dealer does indeed have a dongle to replace the servo, please post the part number, manufacturer, etc. (as much information as you can) on this site as I have looked for a dongle and have been advised that none exist. The only 'fix' is a metal cam that fits inside the servo such that one can remove the cables and CAT when replacing it with a Remus link pipe. I am VERY interested in buying a dongle if your dealer has one. Thanks in advance!