Track Days on a SD-GT

J biker
Supporter
Supporter
City: Durham
Year: 2017

Re: Track Days on a SD-GT

Post by J biker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Yep ^^^^ agree with that. Rider has to have some input. Even a bespoke suspension set up is only right some of the time anyway. ;)

jrc58
125cc
125cc
City: Puerto de la Cruz
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by jrc58 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm

The problem with the "semi-active" suspension is that the front and rear can not be configured independently.
On the 1290 SD R if you can.

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter
City: Austin
Year: 2010

Post by AllanP » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 am

J biker wrote:You can apply your own settings tbh. Problem is that its within the parameters of load, and comfort/street/sport damping. It doesnt have the fine tuning possibilities that would be ideal and some other systems have. So far my best setting is Sport, 1 rider plus luggage. The bike seems to sit right in the corners with this and turn in etc. is very good. Next fine tuning will probably be trying different tyres and tyre pressures. Im sure this could affect the front feel as well with a less stiff tyre construction.

Puzzles me why they didnt go the same route as the S1000r sport, at least sag could be set to rider weight as a good starting point..

On my 3rd variation active or what ever you want to call system now and while all are very good I dont think they can match quality suspension units with an individual set up. ESA on GS and ESA on S1000, plus the WP active all seem to have a problem at the front if you hit a bump. Its as if it doesnt have time to dial in a softer damping until the 1st irregularity is absorbed. Just my thoughts.
I weigh about 180lbs/82kg with riding gear an the best solo setup I've found for street riding is also sport damping and 1 rider+luggage. Not much difference that I can detect with bump compliance compared with 1 rider-no luggage but I think the bike turns better, particularly trail breaking. I actually like the way it steers but am not so fond of the coarse feel and clonking from the suspension particularly the front end. If I find I can comfortably take the corners at speed at the track and the bike feels good I'm sure I'll forget all about the odd feeling of the forks the day after.

I don't want to stray too far away from what I'll use on the road so I think I'll fit sport tires like the M7RR and start with 32F and 32R which worked for DaveNZ on his 1290R. I've also used these same pressures as a starting place on the other bikes I've taken to the track with sport tires. Sport tires have much softer side walls than DOT race tires and I would not start at lower pressures than this. Its also going to be hot as hell and even at my modest pace, its easy to cook street tires if you run them too soft.

I see you are from Durham J biker?

I've lived overseas for more than half my life but was born in Darlington and get back there every year. I was back there last spring riding a Versys 650 that I rented from Phillip McCallen's in, Northern Ireland where I went with a friend to watch the NW200.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:Yeah, if only there was an "Ohlins" setting, then switch over to Dynamic Damping for the long haul home.... :lol:

Still, it does a good job for what I want......and I'll ride around anything it doesn't do well......gotta have something to do while riding.....don't want to fall asleep while the bike does it all for me... ;)
I have Ohlins Semi Active Suspension on my Multistrada, and its the best suspension I've ridden on, but even Ducati couldn't afford to keep putting this suspension on their bikes and remain competitive in bike sales market, they changed to the inferior Sachs, but the Sachs is ok for the road. Ive done a few track days on the Multistrada, and to tell you the truth, its a sloppy bike on the track in sport mode in semi active setting, its was way too soft, but so much fun, but ruined the tires pretty quick, i should have dialled in a manual setting, but I'm a lazy mudda fuker, and rode it as is. oh well it was fun until the tires turned to jelly. I may have a chance to take my GT on to a race track on the 19th of May, on a very fast grippy track, May is late Autumn here, so the M7RRs will be perfect.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Post by JDS1290SDr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 pm

J biker wrote:You can apply your own settings tbh. Problem is that its within the parameters of load, and comfort/street/sport damping. It doesnt have the fine tuning possibilities that would be ideal and some other systems have. So far my best setting is Sport, 1 rider plus luggage. The bike seems to sit right in the corners with this and turn in etc. is very good. Next fine tuning will probably be trying different tyres and tyre pressures. Im sure this could affect the front feel as well with a less stiff tyre construction.

Puzzles me why they didnt go the same route as the S1000r sport, at least sag could be set to rider weight as a good starting point..

On my 3rd variation active or what ever you want to call system now and while all are very good I dont think they can match quality suspension units with an individual set up. ESA on GS and ESA on S1000, plus the WP active all seem to have a problem at the front if you hit a bump. Its as if it doesnt have time to dial in a softer damping until the 1st irregularity is absorbed. Just my thoughts.

I believe that. I also believe that none of the manufactures have a active suspension that can react quick enough to smooth out the initial hit of a harsh bump. Don't get me wrong. Nice feature, Id like to have that option. Im guessing the faster you go, the more damping applied?
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 am

If only they could add "Gold Valves" without breaching the Patents......then the forks would allow the initial hit to be absorbed, with the semi active then doing it's control thingy.......unfortunately, fancy pants electrickickery is 'blind' to the nasties on the road surface....and can only react to hits, without any idea of how bad a 'hit' it will be.......so no threat to the job of "rider"......we are still required.... ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 pm

very expensive track bike for me. i don't have too much experience on track so i would rather smash cheaper bike. besides all Gt is slightly on the heavier side for track riding but hey yes you can ride it on track easily can keep up with and 600 cc sports bike or 1000 cc sports bike :) i love the torque when you come out of a bend.

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu May 11, 2017 2:39 pm

JDS1290SDr wrote:

I believe that. I also believe that none of the manufactures have a active suspension that can react quick enough to smooth out the initial hit of a harsh bump. Don't get me wrong. Nice feature, Id like to have that option. Im guessing the faster you go, the more damping applied?
did you ever try aprillia capanord ? thats a fully active suspension and its amazing