Rear suspension

J biker
Supporter
Supporter
City: Durham
Year: 2017

Re: Rear suspension

Post by J biker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 am

Running the Angel gts at 37 rear 33 front cold. Much better.

Front end still has me in a quandary though. 'Most' of the time it works great. Had an 'at speed' moment yesterday though, hit a rough patch of road and the bike was seriously out of shape, (like riding a bull out of shape) to the extent i was thinking about a better steering damper. In context, Fireblade, gsxr1000, and a few other bikes running and riding at the same fast pace and riders just said road was very bumpy.
On the plus side, I wanted an exciting motorcycle! :lol:

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Cheers J-B, I've noticed ( :lol: ) the same......corrugations on the corner really upset the thing. Though i didn't notice any using the stiffer spring setting on the weekend ride.......my Caponord 1200 also didn't like corrugations mid corner either.......might be a dynamic damping thing.....I'll have to go find that same patch of corrugations and see if it upsets the GT while using 1+luggage spring instead of the full soft setting I used a coupe of weeks ago......

Hah, I also noted the GT didn't like a nasty section of 'road works' .....well, it was more deep loose gravel than 'road works'........but I didn't crash......and my companions on their R1200RT also had 'wide eyes' after following me through the same gravel trap... ;)

Know what you're saying though.....my trusty CBR1100xx with Ohlins wouldn't have skipped a beat :roll: (ere e goes again.....blah blah..) either......but it is 30kg heavier and not as 'tall' as the Gt.....nor as good on the brakes, acceleration, mmmmm, must also take it down to the corrugated corner and test this memory in real time.. :lol:

Must add quickly.....the front forks are really nice and plush (since 2000kms - now 3500kms) and I think the rear just needs to run on a spring setting 1 up from what the manual suggests....... :| too early for me to really know for sure....dammit I'll have to go and test ride again and again..... :roll:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

J biker
Supporter
Supporter

Post by J biker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Got my fingers crossed about the suspension getting a bit 'looser'. Anyway, nothing that is going to spoil this kids (50 last year!) enjoyment of the beast.
What I need to work out is tyres for the upcoming Euro hoon. Thinking about the new Sportsmart 2 Max. Latest version. Only need them to hold out for 3k...hmmm. makes such a difference having a half decent tyre. And, yes, there are better out there but my xp of the Dunlop is that it holds its shape well, can do a steadyish track day and it works in a wide range of road conditions. other (better?) tyres of its type wear quicker from what has been observed. Research in progress that one.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

J Biker, the 2014 1290R came with sports smarts2, they were never as good as tire as the SM1s, first edition, i didn't like them, they don't have a shoulder on them, and they tip into corners a little too fast, (tend to fall into corners) ( The sportsmart Max, may be an improvement) after 3000Ks on them i switched to the then new to the market M7RRs, what a much nicer neutral steering tire, i went through 3 sets on that bike averaging around 5000-5500Ks, and thats with a track day thrown in on each set. much nicer tire, and better suited to the GT and the heavier weight of it. But its all down to which tire gives you confidence, most of my mates now run the M7RRs over winter, and super corsa's over summer (1299s) they rave about them and their milage for a very grippy tire. (sorry just my 2 cents)
Attachments
IMG_1051.jpg
Last edited by DaveNZ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

J biker
Supporter
Supporter

Post by J biker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 pm

I ran a set of Sportsmart 2s on my MTS 1200 including a track day. Felt good all round and a rather good fast road tyre tbh.
Also used M7rr on S1000r sport in the Pyrenees recently, thought they were superb and wouldnt argue that they may be better than the Dunlops.
The key thing is to achieve 3k miles on a sporty tire for the upcoming trip as there are around 2500miles planned all in. causing a dilemma as not enough time to try various tyres before hand. No track day god here but my tyres do get a hammering back and front to the edges.
My thinking is the new Sportsmart2 max has improved durability and may just hold up for the trip. Not wanting to spoil Europes best twisty roads with Angel gts! Would even look at the out of fashion Pilot Power 3 if I thought it would last.
Noticed that the new 1290r comes with the Metzler tyres as standard in the UK now so I might just get some feedback from my KTM dealer.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc

Post by DaveNZ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:22 am

This is the result of pushing the GT to hard on AngelGT tires, I'm looking forward to the M7RRs. Broken wrist and ankle, multiple bruises. Oh hey I've just taught myself how to load photo,s (wicked)
Attachments
IMG_1822.jpg
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter
City: Austin
Year: 2010

Post by AllanP » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 am

DaveNZ wrote:This is the result of pushing the GT to hard on AngelGT tires, I'm looking forward to the M7RRs. Broken wrist and ankle, multiple bruises. Oh hey I've just taught myself how to load photo,s (wicked)
Congratulations on the new techno skills :D

My Angel GT's have 3254 miles/5206km as of today and have a much bigger flat on the rear tire that I thought they would at this mileage. Its big enough to really feel and its focusing my attention on what I replace them with. I've put M7RR's on the short-list but if I do go full-on sport tire, I'll need something that can cope with the occasional rain storm. When it rains here in Texas it REALLY rains and not all sport tires work well in a deluge.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:05 am

AllanP wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:This is the result of pushing the GT to hard on AngelGT tires, I'm looking forward to the M7RRs. Broken wrist and ankle, multiple bruises. Oh hey I've just taught myself how to load photo,s (wicked)

My Angel GT's have 3254 miles/5206km as of today and have a much bigger flat on the rear tire that I thought they would at this mileage. Its big enough to really feel and its focusing my attention on what I replace them with. I've put M7RR's on the short-list but if I do go full-on sport tire, I'll need something that can cope with the occasional rain storm. When it rains here in Texas it REALLY rains and not all sport tires work well in a deluge.
The M7RRs are great in the wet Allan, but if your getting flat centre on the rear tire after 5000Ks, the centre of the M7RRs may be worse, side grip will be much much better tho. You must do a lot of straight road riding because of the roads in the US Allan, as your have sampled our NZ roads you would have noticed theres not a lot of straight roads. Hey its worth having a read of the new Metzler M01s i think they are called, they are sport touring, and by all accounts they blow the PR4s away, with grip-stability-and feed back, worth a thought, as the PR4s were highly rated earlier on. My Angel front on the GT has nearly wornout after 5500Ks, the back still has 1500Ks left on it, but both are still symmetrical.

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 am

Hi again, just thought to add that you can change damping 'on the go', but not spring preload......I swapped between comfort and street damping while using 1+luggage spring and it handled really well - lots of lumpy secondary roads too... front end is now perfectly damped.....I think it is even softer than the Capo1200 system, so don't be too hasty with mods until it has settled fully.....and it reads like you lot have also tweaked to upping the rear by one setting to 1+Lg.....if not....then give it a go.....still comfy, just not so 150mm seasicky a ride!

Cheers

Ps I wouldn't go 10mm on the forks in one go.....I have 1 ring up (=3mm) and that's perfect with the lower tyre pressures I'm running (with the warning switched off but TPMS still on)...

A couple of things I have worked out in 3,500kms of GT-ing.... #1 don't rush into mods until you've done enough kms..... ;) #2 don't run 36f 42r.....that's fekin ridiculous.. :x (unless you are 2+lgge). Could possibly add forks need a stone chip/bug guts protector to help keep grit from getting past the dust covers and making the fork seals weep.....but I can't say for sure if this is true for all GT's, or just for mine....

:)

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:39 am

Hey DaveNZ.....was that you last year (in the pic) or, have you done 'it' ;) again? I've seen some seriously evil roadworks lately.....I think Aussie local councils have it in for motorcyclists....so we have to beware or be dead.

It's a pity the road workers don't clean up properly as bike riders are a good source of tourist income for towns (ie we need accommodation, food, beer, fuel) vs the grey nomads in their fully stocked fridge-mobiles who only use the toilets and free RV o'night parking facilities...... :roll:

jrc58
125cc
125cc
City: Puerto de la Cruz
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by jrc58 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 pm

What was the wheel that failed?
The front or the back?
How was the accident?
Regards.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 pm

jrc58 wrote:
What was the wheel that failed?
The front or the back?
How was the accident?
Regards.
I was running the GT in, and had travelled about 600Ks on it, i like to run my bikes in hard and fast, (bed the baby in) i was having a bit of a road race with a mate on a Hyabusa, i was keeping the bike under 6800Revs, but heading up a favourite piece of windie hill, i thought id have a go and real him in, i had so much confidence in the GT, i had him in sights, and was hard on the gas in fourth with the limit light flashing, i stayed on the gas, and was going through this up hill corner, which has a dip in the road on exit. i normally ease of on the gas, then get back on it as the bike straightens up, but this time with a target in sight, i stayed hard on gas, the suspension loaded up then un loaded after going through the dip in the road surface, and with a fist full of throttle and an unloading suspension, the rear let go, it sort of was a progressive rear slide, then a snap let go, at about 130Ks, and i popped up over the bars, and id thought id saved it for a split second, but no, the rear had come around to far, past the point of no return, and down i went, low siding and sliding up the centre of the road. All the damage was down one side, the bike laid down on me then slid away, Dumb mistake by me, pushing a new bike past its mechanical grip. PS, at the time i was in Street suspension mode, and really pushing the bike that hard, i should have at least been in sport. Oh well, live and learn.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:Hey DaveNZ.....was that you last year (in the pic) or, have you done 'it' ;) again? I've seen some seriously evil roadworks lately.....I think Aussie local councils have it in for motorcyclists....so we have to beware or be dead.

It's a pity the road workers don't clean up properly as bike riders are a good source of tourist income for towns (ie we need accommodation, food, beer, fuel) vs the grey nomads in their fully stocked fridge-mobiles who only use the toilets and free RV o'night parking facilities...... :roll:
Last year Dave0, no I've learnt from that lesson, well actually last weekend i caught up with a few guys at the pub, 2 on GSXR600, and on e on a GSXR1000, and fuck me, i get to the same hill, but this time in sports mode for power and suspension, i chase and pass the two 600s, but i couldn't make much ground on the 1000. When will i learn, I'm 58 this year, and i still love chasing the young guys on their road rockets.

jrc58
125cc
125cc
City: Puerto de la Cruz
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by jrc58 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 am

I have a 1290 Super Adventure and I also love chasing the young with their rockets.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter
City: Austin
Year: 2010

Post by AllanP » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:17 am

DaveNZ wrote:
AllanP wrote:

The M7RRs are great in the wet Allan, but if your getting flat centre on the rear tire after 5000Ks, the centre of the M7RRs may be worse, side grip will be much much better tho. You must do a lot of straight road riding because of the roads in the US Allan, as your have sampled our NZ roads you would have noticed theres not a lot of straight roads. Hey its worth having a read of the new Metzler M01s i think they are called, they are sport touring, and by all accounts they blow the PR4s away, with grip-stability-and feed back, worth a thought, as the PR4s were highly rated earlier on. My Angel front on the GT has nearly wornout after 5500Ks, the back still has 1500Ks left on it, but both are still symmetrical.
There are no roads in Texas that come even close to the good roads in NZ! I'd run sport tires all the time but the thought of leaving all of that great rubber on a road without a decent bend would make me weep. I'm exaggerating a bit, we do have a few good roads in Texas but NZ is pretty special. There are good roads in other parts of the US however, the Rocky Mountain states and the West Coast have some great ones, its just a bit of a ride to get there from here. For years up until quite recently I kept a bike on the California Coast and commuted to work there one or two weeks out of the month and got some great riding in.

In August I'll be doing an 8000km trip from Texas to California, up the West Coast and back again and tire management will be a big issue. If I put Dunlop Q3s on my bike for instance, the rear would be shagged before I reached the first bend :D

I've also read good things about the M01's and a pair of those might be in my future.