Who's done front sprox mod !

MR C
675cc
675cc
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am
Country: UK
City: Derbyshire
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by MR C » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Torque for sprox bolts is 36nm I've changed them for titanium as well as many others.

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 am
Country: United Kingdom
City: Stratford-upon-Avon
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Emmjaydee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 pm

MR C wrote:I went from a 16 front to putting the stock 17 back on than I tried a 39 rear, the rear does make a very slight difference, you can use 6th gear at normal motorway speeds and it still retains the long(ish) gears that I like, I Also have a 40 that I will try next month when I unwrap the bike from its hibernation chamber.

Have done 4000 miles with the 39 rear, no issues with the chain guides and the adjustment lines are still fully useable.
Where did you get the 40 tooth from Mr C?

MR C
675cc
675cc
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am
Country: UK
City: Derbyshire
Year: 2016

Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by MR C » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Emmjaydee wrote:
MR C wrote:I went from a 16 front to putting the stock 17 back on than I tried a 39 rear, the rear does make a very slight difference, you can use 6th gear at normal motorway speeds and it still retains the long(ish) gears that I like, I Also have a 40 that I will try next month when I unwrap the bike from its hibernation chamber.

Have done 4000 miles with the 39 rear, no issues with the chain guides and the adjustment lines are still fully useable.
Where did you get the 40 tooth from Mr C?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-Super-Duk ... 1933956205

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 am
Country: United Kingdom
City: Stratford-upon-Avon
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Emmjaydee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Great thanks. I see they are aluminium. How long will that last with this amount of torque and power?

MR C
675cc
675cc
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am
Country: UK
City: Derbyshire
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by MR C » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Emmjaydee wrote:Great thanks. I see they are aluminium. How long will that last with this amount of torque and power?
Google sitta they get great reviews and fitted to some big hp bikes they are hard anodised alloy and after 5k my 39 is like new still. My 190 hp kwak had alloy sprox and whilst it would eat a rear tyre in 1k there was very little wear on the sprox.

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 am
Country: United Kingdom
City: Stratford-upon-Avon
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Emmjaydee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm

MR C wrote:
Emmjaydee wrote:Great thanks. I see they are aluminium. How long will that last with this amount of torque and power?
Google sitta they get great reviews and fitted to some big hp bikes they are hard anodised alloy and after 5k my 39 is like new still. My 190 hp kwak had alloy sprox and whilst it would eat a rear tyre in 1k there was very little wear on the sprox.
Reassuring....many thanks 8-)

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Aussie Dave » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 am

Cheers Mr C.......I am also reassured by your experience. I was google snooping the Sitta sprog's and wondered about the alloy vs steel question. Thanks for the heads up.. :)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:35 am

Hmmm, had a chance on the highway today to think more clearly about gearing......( :o I know....here he goes again....sorry....).

I had the thing in 5th on cruise control 4250rpm with 100kph indicated (= true speed by Garmin) - or 4750rpm at 110k/h - ( 6th at 4000rpm = 110kph).

Motor handles 6th better now, with more kms (nearly 2000km) but an extra 250 rpms would help the donk to spin smoothly at our highway speed limit....ie if 6th was 4250rpm at 110km/h..... :|

Really the gearing is pretty spot on, and as I suspected, the motor pulls that tall 6th overdrive more easily as the kms increase......hey - I was getting 22k/Ltr on dash fuel consumption today......wow... :D
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Loomster
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 pm
Country: U.K.
City: Christchurch
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Loomster » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 pm

That's about 58mpg in old money. Very good indeed, I'm getting about 32 as my right wrist seems to be made of rubber. :twisted:

Loomster
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 pm
Country: U.K.
City: Christchurch
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Loomster » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:56 pm

That's about 58mpg in old money. Very good indeed, I'm getting about 32 as my right wrist seems to be made of rubber. :twisted:

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by DaveNZ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:Hmmm, had a chance on the highway today to think more clearly about gearing......( :o I know....here he goes again....sorry....).

I had the thing in 5th on cruise control 4250rpm with 100kph indicated (= true speed by Garmin) - or 4750rpm at 110k/h - ( 6th at 4000rpm = 110kph).

Motor handles 6th better now, with more kms (nearly 2000km) but an extra 250 rpms would help the donk to spin smoothly at our highway speed limit....ie if 6th was 4250rpm at 110km/h..... :|

Really the gearing is pretty spot on, and as I suspected, the motor pulls that tall 6th overdrive more easily as the kms increase......hey - I was getting 22k/Ltr on dash fuel consumption today......wow... :D
I once got 400Ks 2 up out of a tank, i put in 22 litres =18K per litre, and 120 of those Ks were windie country roads, this engine makes so much torque you don't need to rev it much, especially 2up. my ex V4 Tuono was lucky to do 11K per litre, it averaged around 10.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 am

Cheers guys.......I know that rubber wrist feeling.......when the roads are dry - lookout... :lol:

I got that great consumption figure while being really 'good' on the "Radar/Camera/Unmarked" motorway from the Gold Coast to Brisbane.......after the day was done.......nice to know I can actually go as far as the range finder says I can.....if I need to.... :lol:

Hey DaveNZ.....remember your Capo1200.......best I ever got out of mine was almost 19k/Ltr....about the same as my lovely old 05 CBR1100XX - downhill, with a tail wind, solo, no luggage, 98 Octane, cool air, :lol: :lol:


Ps should add that the above economy figure was the dash readout.....haven't done the proper actual kms/Ltrs calculation on a trip yet as it's just been running in till now........I expect the 22k/Ltr reading is an instant consumption figure, whereas the usual fill the tank and divide the trip Kms by the fill Ltrs is the usual trip average that I quote...still, a good sign for those long lonely stretches where the next fuel might be a long way away... ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by DaveNZ » Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Well yesterday i ordered a rear 40 tooth steel sprocket from Germany, works out to be when delivered $120 NZ, so a little pricey, but thats the price we pay to live in one of the best motorcycling countries in the world. :D
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

BDG
125cc
125cc
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:10 pm
Country: England
City: Manchester
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by BDG » Fri May 05, 2017 6:09 am

I've got 2000 miles on my bike now and have just fitted the Sita 40 tooth rear sprocket (thanks Mr C for the heads up). As my chain is pretty new it would only just fit with the chain adjustment at its slackest point. It felt much better at 80 mph in 6th gear.

Off to Ireland for a week and should do 1,000 miles so will get a better idea

MR C
675cc
675cc
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am
Country: UK
City: Derbyshire
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by MR C » Fri May 05, 2017 10:54 pm

BDG wrote:I've got 2000 miles on my bike now and have just fitted the Sita 40 tooth rear sprocket (thanks Mr C for the heads up). As my chain is pretty new it would only just fit with the chain adjustment at its slackest point. It felt much better at 80 mph in 6th gear.

Off to Ireland for a week and should do 1,000 miles so will get a better idea
Yeah my chain was also like that even with 5k on the clock, I've only adjusted the chain the once so very little stretch.

Be great to no your thoughts on the mod [THUMBS UP SIGN]

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by DaveNZ » Sat May 06, 2017 3:05 am

MR C wrote:
BDG wrote:I've got 2000 miles on my bike now and have just fitted the Sita 40 tooth rear sprocket (thanks Mr C for the heads up). As my chain is pretty new it would only just fit with the chain adjustment at its slackest point. It felt much better at 80 mph in 6th gear.

Off to Ireland for a week and should do 1,000 miles so will get a better idea
Yeah my chain was also like that even with 5k on the clock, I've only adjusted the chain the once so very little stretch.

Be great to no your thoughts on the mod [THUMBS UP SIGN]
6500Ks so far, and haven't needed to adjust the chain. Hope my 40 tooth fits ok. :o
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

MR C
675cc
675cc
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am
Country: UK
City: Derbyshire
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by MR C » Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 am

DaveNZ wrote:
MR C wrote:
BDG wrote:I've got 2000 miles on my bike now and have just fitted the Sita 40 tooth rear sprocket (thanks Mr C for the heads up). As my chain is pretty new it would only just fit with the chain adjustment at its slackest point. It felt much better at 80 mph in 6th gear.

Off to Ireland for a week and should do 1,000 miles so will get a better idea
Yeah my chain was also like that even with 5k on the clock, I've only adjusted the chain the once so very little stretch.

Be great to no your thoughts on the mod [THUMBS UP SIGN]
6500Ks so far, and haven't needed to adjust the chain. Hope my 40 tooth fits ok. :o
When you fit, put the wheel all the way forward, removed the original sprox and put the chain on the new sprox before you mount it on the bolts.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by DaveNZ » Sat May 06, 2017 8:15 am

MR C wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:
MR C wrote: Yeah my chain was also like that even with 5k on the clock, I've only adjusted the chain the once so very little stretch.

Be great to no your thoughts on the mod [THUMBS UP SIGN]
6500Ks so far, and haven't needed to adjust the chain. Hope my 40 tooth fits ok. :o
When you fit, put the wheel all the way forward, removed the original sprox and put the chain on the new sprox before you mount it on the bolts.
Hey awesome tip there MrC cheers for that. will do. sprocket should be here in a few days, so hopefully get out on her next week end for trial, ill get back to you on her and let you know my thoughts. Thanx again.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by Aussie Dave » Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Oh well, there goes my evil plan to fit the sprocket at 5000kms.... :lol: - my chain hasn't needed adjustment yet either........

Lets us know how many revs the 40t adds at say 100kph......oh, and one thought I had (and kept forgetting to ask about) - does a sprocket change alter the speedo reading? (I know it didn't on the Capo12.....).

Cheers all ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Who's done front sprox mod !

Post by DaveNZ » Wed May 10, 2017 1:44 am

Aussie Dave wrote:Oh well, there goes my evil plan to fit the sprocket at 5000kms.... :lol: - my chain hasn't needed adjustment yet either........

Lets us know how many revs the 40t adds at say 100kph......oh, and one thought I had (and kept forgetting to ask about) - does a sprocket change alter the speedo reading? (I know it didn't on the Capo12.....).

Cheers all ;)
It won't alter the speedo Dave, i think the speedo runs off the same rear sensor that does the ABS and TC, off that little slotted wheel. Tires would effect it tho. PS, just been out on a blast on mine, last ride befor the sprocket change, 5th gear 4,000 revs= 100kph, on new M7RRs.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Post Reply