SDGT HHC??

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter
Year: 2017

SDGT HHC??

Post by GaryCulb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 am

Just got a 2017 KTM SDGT. Had the Hill Hold Control (HHC) added. Can turn the HHC on & off on the screen but, darn addition does not work/ function at any incline. Cannot find any KTM OEM data on their product. Anybody have this OEM addition or have data on how to get the HHC to function?? I guess its back to the dealer?? Best,

Doc :( :(

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter

Re: SDGT HHC??

Post by GaryCulb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 am

Having purchased the HHC for my KTM SDGT & not very pleased with the function I called KTM USA for more user data. Over the course of several calls & reviewing the matter with my KTM Dealer I obtained some insightful information. Here are some of the features of the KTM SDGT HHC:

- HHC is an auxiliary braking system option listed on page 87 & 88 of the 2017 KTM SDGT Owner Manual.
- OEM Sloping positions sensor- part # 60342090000 (approximately $500) assists in the Hill Hold Control (HHC). It is installed on all 2017 KTM SDGT’s.
- HHC is activated by the KTM Dealer for a fee ( https://www.ktm-parts.com/60400950000.html ).
- HHC functions automatically when the bike is on an UPWARD INCLINE >45 DEGREES by activating the rear brake.
- When the HHC is active the Yelow TC light flashes.
- HHC ONLY LASTS 5 SECONDS then, AUTOMATICALLY DISENGAGES.
- If a brake lever is activated while the HHC is functional (i.e. within 5 seconds) then, the HHC is recativated for another 5 seconds.
- HHC releases the rear brake if you drive off while it is activated.
- HHC incline activation & duration are presently NOT ADJUSTABLE by the KTM Dealer.

When compaired to the BMW Hill Hold product the KTM HHC is very lacking if not useless.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT!!

Best,

Doc :( :(

vinjah
125cc
125cc
City: SF Bay Area

Post by vinjah » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 am

Thanks very much for this overview of HHC and thanks for the legwork to dig up those details. I live in a very hilly area and have been considering HHC since taking delivery of my '17 SDGT back in Sep. Initially the cost put me off (KTM part + 30-60m labor, I was quoted), though it's something I would use every single day.

HOWEVER, the fact that it only operates on inclines of >45º is of great concern. That would really make it less effective than I was hoping, though probably still useful when getting out of my driveway daily.

Just to confirm, the 45º threshold is true even for '17 models sloping sensor?

Thanks!
2017 KTM Super Duke GT, 2002 Honda Interceptor 800

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Post by jjscsix » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:37 pm

I got it because my dealer made me a really good deal on it. Until I read this thread it was a real head scratcher for me. I have a 1600 BMW which can be activated any time and it stays on until you squeeze the brakes hard or engage the clutch to pull away from a stop.

On the KTM there is no way for the rider to control it. It comes on when it damn well pleases and releases five seconds later. In nearly 700 miles now it has engaged once and actually caught me by surprise.

I get that I live in a flat city, but sometimes I'll be on a slight incline at a stop and like to engage it until the light turns green, which is almost always more than five seconds.

In retrospect I would not get it again .
Last edited by jjscsix on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth

Post by mick shere » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Many thanks for your write up, I have to say that it really isnt what it suggests.. when aids like this are advertised the current manufacturers standards set a level of expectation eg BMW that ktm are not living upto in this instance. If they want to continue to play with the big boys they still need to improve an amazing bike