Any reliable SD-GT's out there?

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter
City: Austin
Year: 2010

Any reliable SD-GT's out there?

Post by AllanP » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Since purchasing my 2016 SD-GT 2-weeks and 746 miles ago I've had four issues with it. The first was a "Fuel Pump Failure" warning, the second is a large gap on the pannier lids, the latest yesterday was an MTC Failure accompanied by the failure of the quick shifter. I'm not counting the chattering when I use the front brake at low speed which could make this five issues.

I sold my 2013 Triumph Street Triple-R, and beloved 2013 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer) to buy the SD-GT. In a combined total of 54,000 miles on these bikes which I bought from new, I never had a single failure of any description with any part or function......Nothing!

It seems like my experience with the SD-GT is not unique but are there any owners out there who have done significant miles on an SD-GT without any problems?

I'm thinking that some of us newbies could use a bit of encouragement. :mrgreen:

ruffneck247
125cc
125cc
City: Peterborough
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Re: Any reliable SD-GT's out there?

Post by ruffneck247 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:14 am

AllanP wrote:Since purchasing my 2016 SD-GT 2-weeks and 746 miles ago I've had four issues with it. The first was a "Fuel Pump Failure" warning, the second is a large gap on the pannier lids, the latest yesterday was an MTC Failure accompanied by the failure of the quick shifter. I'm not counting the chattering when I use the front brake at low speed which could make this five issues.

I sold my 2013 Triumph Street Triple-R, and beloved 2013 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer) to buy the SD-GT. In a combined total of 54,000 miles on these bikes which I bought from new, I never had a single failure of any description with any part or function......Nothing!

It seems like my experience with the SD-GT is not unique but are there any owners out there who have done significant miles on an SD-GT without any problems?

I'm thinking that some of us newbies could use a bit of encouragement. :mrgreen:
Sorry to hear that! After 10000 miles - I've had 11 problems and am now disgusted with KTM's lack of quality control and poor quality components. I previously had a B-King from new and only had 1 recall in 34000 miles - the reg rec.

vet57air
675cc
675cc
City: Port Alberni
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by vet57air » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:40 am

I received my GT last June, brand new (not a demo) in Canada. I have 4500km on it and other than having the panniers replaced on warranty have had zero problems. I have added a Motohooligan intake, Remus link pipe, Evotech tail tidy and frame sliders along with some orange bits. Loving it. Hopefully soon the weather will warmup so we can get riding again.

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:00 am

vet57air wrote:I received my GT last June, brand new (not a demo) in Canada. I have 4500km on it and other than having the panniers replaced on warranty have had zero problems. I have added a Motohooligan intake, Remus link pipe, Evotech tail tidy and frame sliders along with some orange bits. Loving it. Hopefully soon the weather will warmup so we can get riding again.
Great......that's what we want to hear!!

Now lets have some more :lol:

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:17 am

Ive had mine now for around 5 months. 4900Ks,when i first picked it up the quick shifter wasn't working, that got sorted at the first service, they reset the parameters and its been great since, the stand spur broke, but there was a recall on it and got that fixed, my horn didn't work once the bike got hot, bike shop moved it at first service. yes some minor gremlins, but i don't mind on a newish model along as they get attended to, and they have. i did 18,000Ks on my 1290R they replaced the rear axle due to free play, and the tail light as it breaks when the passenger seat was removed. KTM are good at getting niggles fixed, these are minor, painful but minor.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
City: Stratford-upon-Avon

Post by Emmjaydee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 am

If anyone expects a brand new bike to be faultless then I would suggest a high level of naivety.

If you want a well sorted platform you should always wait at least 12 months from first launch so the beta testers find the problems.

Doesn't matter whether it is a bike, a car or a camera. For example Mercedes have just recalled 75,000 cars in the UK. It happens.

I have had the horn replaced and there are a couple of min or plastics imperfections in mouldings/alignment. I need to get back to the dealer to have the fuel line recall sorted soon, when I get it back on the road. Winter here in UK.

My last 'very well sorted over many years' bike left me at the roadside exactly 24 hours from brand new with a failed ECU.......So what it got sorted.

A good dealer is what you need. But for me as it stands I couldn't be happier.

PS I traded a 13' Street Triple R for mine too....great bike.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Mine has 5k on it and has been faultless, oh tell a lie the horn stopped working when it gets hot but since I've moved it all has been well.

Great bike, tbh I never keep a bike 12 months however there's nothing out there to replace the GT so it's a keeper.

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Emmjaydee wrote:If anyone expects a brand new bike to be faultless then I would suggest a high level of naivety.

If you want a well sorted platform you should always wait at least 12 months from first launch so the beta testers find the problems.

Doesn't matter whether it is a bike, a car or a camera. For example Mercedes have just recalled 75,000 cars in the UK. It happens.

I have had the horn replaced and there are a couple of min or plastics imperfections in mouldings/alignment. I need to get back to the dealer to have the fuel line recall sorted soon, when I get it back on the road. Winter here in UK.

My last 'very well sorted over many years' bike left me at the roadside exactly 24 hours from brand new with a failed ECU.......So what it got sorted.

A good dealer is what you need. But for me as it stands I couldn't be happier.

PS I traded a 13' Street Triple R for mine too....great bike.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your bike, I really enjoy mine too …… when it’s running OK.

The vast majority of brand new Japanese bikes ARE faultless and I did wait 12 months before buying the SD-GT, they’ve been on the road in Europe for over a year now.

The SD-GT is also not exactly a “brand new” bike, it’s a variant on the Super Duke 1290R and early production models of that have been on the road since 2015. I’m not entirely a KTM newbie either, I bought a Super Duke 990 in 2007 its first year in the USA and did 12k miles on it including track and loved it. In that time it had two failures, the oil sight tube cracked and the gauge cluster failed. My SD-GT has had more problems than that in its first two weeks.

This bike is marvelous to ride and I truly hope what we are seeing are teething problems. A concern for new owners however, might be that it’s another Ducati Multistrada which is also marvelous to ride but one that’s has been out for years and is still full of problems.

The point of my post was that on these boards we generally only see the problems reported, not the successes and it would be nice to see a bit of a balance. I’m not talking about loving the bike, but about usable reliability. Any SD-R or SD-GT guys out there with 10k on the odometer with NO problems for instance?

With 760 miles on the clock I’m heading out for an 8 day road trip tomorrow to the wilderness of West Texas ……..now that’s really naïve :D

Remember the promotional video which had two friends riding their GT’s across Europe and meeting for a blast in the Alps? Hopefully I’ll be able to report that this really is possible.

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Enjoy your ride and your bike Allan, have a safe ride, I'm off for 5 days on my Multistrada with the wife for a decent ride, but after months of drought where we are heading the forecast is for rain, rain, rain.FUK.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:56 pm

AllanP wrote:
Emmjaydee wrote:
A concern for new owners however, might be that it’s another Ducati Multistrada which is also marvelous to ride but one that’s has been out for years and is still full of problems.

It deffo is not another multi, I had 2 new Dvt multi's and both had issues, I never even got the chance to put one mile on the second one before it broke down, keyless was faulty on delivery and took 5 weeks to get parts from Italy !

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:12 am

DaveNZ wrote:Enjoy your ride and your bike Allan, have a safe ride, I'm off for 5 days on my Multistrada with the wife for a decent ride, but after months of drought where we are heading the forecast is for rain, rain, rain.FUK.
Thanks and the same to you and your wife, be safe and stay dry!

Today was the start of my trip to Big Bend to finish the beak-in, ride some superb empty roads and really get to know the bike. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the end of my drive before the MTC and engine warnings came back on again SHIT !!!

It was early but there was nothing left to do apart from ride it round to the dealer, sit on the curb and wait for someone to turn up. In my annoyance I'd forgotten they're closed on Monday but someone did turn up and he called the service manager but no one was available to do anything so in the end I elected to carry on with my trip with the warning lights on. I stopped after 50 miles or so for breakfast, and when I restarted the bike, no warning lights! I rode it from there to my first nights destination about another 180 miles, my gloom lifted a bit and the bike ran superbly. Within half a mile of my hotel however, the warning lights came back on and I think the bike is now holding back some power.

I'll sleep on it tonight and call the service manager again tomorrow to see if he has any ideas, but after that I may cancel the trip and just ride home.

My bike outside the dealers at 8am this morning.

A selfi of my sitting on the curb waiting for someone to show up. That's not my happy face.

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:36 am

It could be the Exhaust valve set up, when removing my CAT box and fitting a Remus link pipe, the link pipe comes with a little cam, that replaces the cam that pulls and pushes the cables to the exhaust valve, well if the engine management system gets a false or wrong signal from the exhaust valve actuator (motor that pulls the cables) it will give MTC fault signal, it may be the cables need a little adjustment. When you first turn the ignition on, you will hear the actuator working, it turns the valve through its cycle to check its working, and if not, triggers a fault code MTC. A way to test that its not actually not the Traction Control its self, is to turn off MTC, if you still get the fault it could be your exhaust valve actuator triggering the fault. hope you get it sorted Allan mention this to the KTM mechanic, might speed things up.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 am

Sorry I don't fit the criteria (big k's) - YET - but gotta say 1,040kms on my 2017 GT and all systems are go!

There's a thread on MTC issues ......worth a read....

The Caponord 1200 forum had many gripes from it's first model year owners......most probably down to dealers not familiar with the product or not doing a thorough pre-delivery check.........I'd expect the first service at 620miles/1000kms to have found a few 'out of adjustment' type faults and rectified them......did I miss something :?: Has the warranty service been done prior to the trip away? My guys at the dealership can't do enough for me - they even clean my clean bike.......and almost fall over each other trying to do their best for me......how good is that! :D

PsThe dealer principal told me prior to me handing over the cash for my 1290GT that the quick shifter is usually left 'turned off' until the first service, and I'm guessing that's to allow for proper running in of the gearbox - but it should have been activated for your miles - has it been switched 'on' in the dash menu? Did it work, then stop?

An awful lot of the old Caponord1200 forum woes were also down to lack of familiarity with the new systems as well as a few bad quality control items and a few bad service dept issues......curious to know how you get on :o
Last edited by Aussie Dave on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 am

My quick shifter was turned on before i left the bike shop on its first journey, i waited till 500Ks before i tried it, no workie,When i took mine in for the first service, they just checked and altered the parameters it operates under, and wulla she works, and it works wonderfully, i love it, even with soft throttle openings 5000revs its so smooth, and with full throttle and high revs she gives a nice kick as it moves up the gears, but still a smooth transition, love my quick shifter. Love the bike now I've done the o2 eliminators.

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm

they are all ok , just little niggles unfortunately because of the poor quality controls

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:10 am

Made it back from my road trip to Big Bend in West Texas, 6 days and 1517 miles/2,427km. I left town with and intermittent MTC Failure warning and by the time I got back the MTC, Quick shifter and Cruise control had all failed completely and the bike was running on much reduced power. The engine warning light is permanently lit and the bike is refusing to turn over when the start button is pressed sometimes unless I put the kick stand down again and then retract it, almost like there’s an intermittent kickstand switch failure.

It might seem a bit rash to set off with a fault on the bike but I thought I could always switch off MTC and also wanted to get the miles in to complete the break-in and shake out as many problems as possible. Wise or not, it did give me a chance to sample some of the great features of the bike when it was running well and these are a few thoughts on those.

Engine management – this is superb. The bike will run happily at very low speed trickling down a tiny country road with barely a whiff of throttle all the way up to bonkers acceleration and 3rd gear power wheelies. Most bikes have a bias towards one end of the performance spectrum but this one is good everywhere.

Quick shifter – Very good and better than the system on the Street Triple-R I had.

Riding position and wind protection – This is always subjective but for me they are both a good compromise and I'm pretty happy. After six 250 mile/400km days I had ass burn and would like a softer seat but that’s fixable.

Handling – Very good but the intermittent and final total system failures and resulting unpredictable loss of power put a bit of a damper on testing that as much as I would have liked. The Pirelli Angle GT tires are a bit slow to turn and the suspension is a very clunky, but the tires can be changed and I’m hoping the suspension can be tweaked.

Brakes – Superb.

Stability – This is important if you want to run at high speed for long stretches which is possible in West Texas. Even on a straight road a super agile bike can require a lot of steering inputs which get tiring especially on a windy day. I didn’t want the panniers because of past experience with negative effects on steering, but you don't have a choice in the US. I was very pleased to discover however, that the bike even with loaded panniers is very stable at high speed and even in very blustery and heavy cross winds – impressive.

Cruise control – I thought this would be a gimmick I would not use, but I love it! Makes a big difference on long straight stretches of road and is as good as on any car I’ve driven, (when it’s working).

It goes into the dealer again tomorrow to see if they can get it sorted out and I will pass on the hint from you guys to look at the exhaust valve servo motor.

Still no reports from anyone of big trouble free miles but perhaps I can be the first if they can finally get it all working as it should :D I’ll update you on the repair progress in the other technical threads.

Empty roads in the Davis Mountains in West Texas, there are great twisty roads out there too.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am

I'm green with envy......not of the hassles with the bike......but with the trip you had...

I have to wait till 1st week of May for my first full scale week away on the GT (the price paid for still working).

Coming from the very basic cruise control on a Caponord 1200 to the full spec cruise on the Gt has been a joy!
I love being able to engage cruise once, and leave it there all day long......just resuming, or re-setting as I choose.......and the increment/adjusting......bliss......just click up or down to fine tune the setting..... :D

Did a 400km ride on Sunday......was in my summer ride spec gear so I got a sore ass from the elastic of my undies and the (bugger me can't recall the name....) 3M dupont yellow stuff used in reinforced bike jeans.....whatzitcalled.....hard as nails on a hot sweaty day ride.. (aha, KEVLAR....bit slow, but cogs still turn :lol: )....anyway, I'll use a cropped sheepskin on the long tour and wear lycra cycle niks (no elastic to bite into my butt) under my riding duds for the 3,000kms planned for May...... 8-)

Hope the guys crack onto what's not right with your GT........and put it right.......though, I wonder how much training has been provided to the industry......my chief mechanic couldn't make a few minor adjustments (dash contrast and tyre pressure alert settings) even with assistance from KTM Aus.......maybe they will learn how over time as more owners ask similar questions.....or maybe forum members will report the 'how to' as they learn some tricks.....
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:15 pm

quality issues is the biggest problem, wont be coming back to KTM till they fixed these

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Tancakar wrote:quality issues is the biggest problem, wont be coming back to KTM till they fixed these
What issues do you have ?

I'm really intrigued because after owning 13 and 14 year Bmw GS WC the XR and 2 Multi dvt's, these bikes all had issues and my GT has none whatsoever ! Maybe I've just been lucky with the GT.

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:01 pm

MR C wrote:
Tancakar wrote:quality issues is the biggest problem, wont be coming back to KTM till they fixed these
What issues do you have ?

I'm really intrigued because after owning 13 and 14 year Bmw GS WC the XR and 2 Multi dvt's, these bikes all had issues and my GT has none whatsoever ! Maybe I've just been lucky with the GT.
unlike the Ducati and Aprilia's I own the Ktm's always been problematic.

i had an 1190 adventure on 2013 that had some problems too. But don't get me wrong the bike is a lot of fun I would still recommend anyone to get one however people has to know there are quality issues.

I think the biggest issue started with me the suspension, it doesn't have any cure in comfort its too spongy with stiff forks, street very very hard, sport soft forks but hard suspension overall.
Then my second biggest problem was cold starting issue, the bike doesn't want to start when its cold.
also, I have a Battery issue the bike has 5000 miles and the battery already dead.
Never had a smooth quick shifter even after update to the ECU.
my heated grips wear off and looks so bad now , handle grips shouldn't be flat after 5000 miles
A few times bike throw traction control fault or general fault no reason, it comes and goes.
Every morning when i start the bike i first have an anxiety if today the bike will start?
Fuel gauge doesn't work really.
oil temperature seems to read wrong but i cant keep up with it. This week i will go to the dealer again.

My Throttle has some play and also the throttle hanging around 3-4 k rpm i took it to the dealer a few times never had a solution. They don't seem to want to Adjust Throttle bodies for me.
latest is there is a voice coming from fuel pump or around that area. its like a clarinet but a quite one. either it will give a fail or its about to die.

These days the bikes are not built to last i can see the quality, however, this bike isnt cheap and i just cant handle this little issues. forgot to mention every so often the coolant leaks from engine i cant tell where