Eddie
Supporter
Supporter
City: Northumberland
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Clutch slip

Post by Eddie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 am

Anybody else had problems with this? Just noticed it on Saturday, winding on from ~5000rpm in 5th, and the same in 6th. (Private road, obviously, officer.)

Off to the dealers today to have a whinge about it ...

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Clutch slip

Post by Eddie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:48 pm

... of course, I'd forgotten that it could potentially be caused by the aftermarket levers that I fitted last week, so I'd better swap them back and see if it still happens.

I've seen reports of non-GT Super Duke's having the problem, and it being resolved by fitting GT clutch springs, which obviously won't help in this case. Also, reports that there's insufficient clearance for when the clutch pushrod expands when hot, so I might need to give it a really good thrashing to reproduce the problem.

Plake
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Colour: Black

Post by Plake » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Hey Eddie, I had exactly the same problem with my 1290R. I bought some orange springs (as per the GT as you say) but in the meantime before I could fit them had the clutch master cylinder rebuilt (don't ask) and an Oberon slave fitted. This totally cured the problem and the springs remain unfitted.

As you say I think the consensus is that the clutch lever doesn't quite fully disengage from the pushrod on the master cylinder it depresses and the simple solution is to make sure it can by shaving a few thou from the pin or from the lever. Presumably the rebuild meant it was set up correctly, although I guess there may be a chance that the replacement slave had a part to play.

It's a nightmare for the dealer to diagnose as they can't ride it at that speed and it doesn't happen on the dyno, only under load (from wind - also I found it worse going uphill.)

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Eddie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the info, Plake.

I took it out the other day for a "spirited" test (the flashing blue lights in the mirror were a bit disconcerting, but it wasn't me they were looking for), but couldn't reproduce the clutch slip.

When it happened, I had panniers and a tent strapped to the back, which must add a lot more drag. If we get a nice sunny weekend soon, I might load it up again to see what happens ... or perhaps I'll just wait until next year when the weather gets better again. I can't see me hammering on in 5th or 6th much for the next few months ...