City: Worcester
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: Adventure

Re: New Superduke GT owner experiences.

Post by OldGit60 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:44 am

DucBMW wrote:
OldGit60 wrote:DucBMW,

With your permission I'll reference your reply, they have in fairness offered to check the bike over and it might be the case that mine was put together wrong as well.
I have no problem with you pointing your dealer at my experiences, but it might be more effective to just direct them to the NL distributor (who conveniently houses in or next to the WP factory). This is provided that it is made clear that I do not mean to be overly negative: in fact, I am very happy with the support that was given. Obviously, it is ridiculous imho that a brand new bike has issues in the first place, but this can happen with new models (BMW is the perfect example of that in recent years). The way both dealership and the KTM distributor responded was quite OK: they must have easily spend at least half a SDGT on repairs and doing stuff.

Once again, thanks for your help and information.
I totally agree that KTM are very helpful and are listening.

Don't get me started on BMW -two GS's, one dropped a valve after 1700 miles. BMW couldn't get parts for over ten weeks so traded for new Triple Black which corroded like you would not believe in under two years, apparently I used it offroad (!)- washed it aggressively -didn't wash it -washed it in the wrong chemicals!!. BMW were not interested in my issues, despite going to UK managing director level. Don't care how good the latest bikes are, their service and backup are totally useless, wouldn't have one for free (well if offered one I might!)

OldGit60
125cc
125cc

Post by OldGit60 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Quick update.

Albert, apparently your issue was a headstock problem.
It would appear that the bike is designed for riders of 85 kg upwards and no cure for my problem is forthcoming.
As a matter of interest, you cannot call KTM head office as they won't give out the number! If anyone wants to know how to ring them PM me.
So my options are:-

Ride only in sport mode - forks are allowed to 'dive' slightly which helps. (renders Street and Comfort useless, expensive options)

Eat more pies

Test it's amphibious capabilities

Sell bike (anyone know of an interested party -85kgs+ please PM me) and go back to 1190 adventure as not sure 1290 s will be any better as still has semi-active suspension.

Pity as the bike is close to being an excellent piece of kit.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Just tide it, with miles it's gets better and better, anyways after 20k the oil in the forks will be like piss and the suspension will be like a wet sponge.

OldGit60
125cc
125cc

Post by OldGit60 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:20 am

MR C wrote:Just tide it, with miles it's gets better and better, anyways after 20k the oil in the forks will be like piss and the suspension will be like a wet sponge.
Thanks for that Mr C - fills me full of optimism! :lol:

DucBMW
125cc
125cc
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2017

Post by DucBMW » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 am

OldGit60 wrote:Quick update.

apparently your issue was a headstock problem.
[...]
Interesting... as this was the only explanation that I was NOT given.

Honestly, I can see how a motorcycle's headstock can affect handling (if worn out or damaged) or may affect front suspension (stick slip if not properly aligned), but I fail to see how can it affect the rear suspension. Why would, in my case, KTM bother replacing the rear spring if this were a headstock problem? Why would they have reassembled the front forks, if alignment would have done the trick? Looking at the tacho, they rode at least 1000 km's with my bike when they had it, so I suspect they must have found a reason for doing the work they did:
  • Replacement of the rear spring, which seems ligitimate given that - with me on it - the bike now rides lower in the rear than before (the suspension compresses more, already when I just sit on it), and the rear wheel now actually travels up and down when meeting bumps when on the move.
  • Reassembly of the front forks, although there is no noticeable difference except for the handlebar pointing slightly to the left, which means another round of fork alignment may be upcoming.
About your options:

Sport mode is indeed better, which was clear from the outset: This bike doesn't need anti-dive: if you pull the throttle properly the front wheel will not touch the ground anyway ;)

Amphibious capabilities: it's under water diving capabilities are excellent, for sure, surfacing might be where things become slightly more challenging.

You do have one other option: ride with fully loaded panniers all the time, and find yourself an attractive pillion to top the weight up. Tie her/him permanently to the back seat and throw a sandwich and some water in it once in a while. This might seem onorthodox to some, but lots of motorcyclists ride with pillions, and this certainly helps the SDGT's stock rear suspension to perform better.

BTW, the 1290 Super Adventure "T" that I tested last year had better suspension in that there is obviously much more wheel travel, so the ride was generally plush. I cannot recall there having been any anti-dive sensations irrespective the riding mode, set aside that the suspension obviously firms up when riding in sport mode. However, I do recall the delay in front suspension softening when hitting bumps at low speed (< 30 kph), which seems inherent to the semi-active damping. Anyway, This experience makes me think that the 1290 S could be an alternative, although I would recommend a thorough test ride before buying.
KTM 1290 Super Duke GT (2017)
Yamaha FJR 1300 A (2016)
BMW S 1000 RR (2013)
Triumph 675 Street Triple RX (2015)
Husqvarna WR 250 (2004)

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:59 pm

Eddie wrote:
DucBMW wrote: Quickshifter is hopeless indeed, except under full acceleration and > 7000 rpm, when it still responds slightly delayed, but nevertheless a convenient option sometimes. You can help it by manipulating the throttle a little bit, but even then it takes "ages" before it changes gear.
This is very odd.

There's obviously a lot of variation in the experience of the quickshifter, and I've never used any others so I don't have anything to compare it against, but mine seems smooth and quick at any revs or throttle position. (Admittedly, first to second has a big clunk, so I tend to clutch that.) I seem to remember it being not so smooth when I first got the bike, but once the gearbox loosened up a bit, the QS got smoother too, and now I can't imagine how it would be any better.

Any ideas what makes the difference?
My quick shifter never worked when i first brought the bike, at the bikes first service, i told the mechanic, he never tested it, he just reset the parameters it operates under, and now it works brilliantly, any revs, but mainly over 4000, its seamless, so theres room for the quick shifter to be altered in its workings, man i really love having this quick shifter. PS i find the suspension on this bike quite good, but not perfect, doing measurements with rider sag verse bike free sag, I'm finding the rear spring a good compromise, for my weight solo riding, and the clicking into 2 persons with luggage for 2up. i find the fork springs a little on the heavy side for solo riding, but perfect 2up. my rider sag in street mode i person, is 38F and 45R, the rear needs little more preload, i would like the bike to measure 40F and 35R, so the front is close, the rear has too much sag for my liking in solo riding, and this effects cornering, i will check the sag rates in sport mode, but i prefer to do most of my riding in street mode, as i like a reasonable amount of suspension travel. I did a 2up 380K die recently with the wife on the back, (fastest way to break in suspension) we rode in street mode 2 people for the suspension, i noticed the rear had too much travel, I'm around 78KG, my wife around 60KG, half way through the ride i changed to 2 people and luggage, and what a huge transformation, the bike stopped squatting too much in the rear and it removed some of the excessive travel i was getting. so the spring rate has a compromise, they have sprung it for sporty solo riding, but just enough spring weight to handle 2 medium weight people. its going to be imposibe to set this bike up from factory to cover every scenario.
Last edited by DaveNZ on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
City: Stratford-upon-Avon

Post by Emmjaydee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:05 pm

You can get rear sag added/ removed by the dealer. I had 3mm sag removed, ie stiffer at the rear. It has improved it.

You are right re. the front. Nearly all my miles are two up and it is fine, but too stiff when solo.

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Emmjaydee wrote:You can get rear sag added/ removed by the dealer. I had 3mm sag removed, ie stiffer at the rear. It has improved it.

You are right re. the front. Nearly all my miles are two up and it is fine, but too stiff when solo.
Yes i had heard you can have the preload altered for the rear shock up to 5mm each way, that would give 40mm rider sag, and be a lot closer. i tried yesterday, riding in 1 person with luggage, while solo no gear riding, the rear felt better in that it reduced the rider sag dramatically, but it gave a harsh ride, so i won't use the mode again solo. there is a recall on the stand spur, so when I'm up at the bike shop for that, i will get some rear sag reduced. Incidentally, when i brought my 1290R, i did the sag measurements, and i got the same, 38F-45R, 2 full turns of the preload collar and i got my preferred 35mm, and the bike was so much more stable through the turns on exit. The GT is work in progress.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

OldGit60
125cc
125cc

Post by OldGit60 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm

[quote="DucBMW"][quote="OldGit60"]Quick update.

"Interesting... as this was the only explanation that I was NOT given. "

Once again Albert, thanks for updating me, it would seem that someone within KTM is not telling me the whole story!

When I get on my bike the extra sag is hardly measurable, again suggesting the spring rate is too high for light riders.

I have tried your suggestion of putting someone on the back which works, unfortunately the screams and kidney punches render that solution useless as soon as the throttle is opened - unless I can get a shop dummy with lead legs... :lol:

My dealer is being as helpful as they can be, I'm thinking the answer could be the 1290s and I am exploring that option. A loooonnng test ride over some of Britain's undulating pot-holed roads will be a priority!

Anyway, I'll keep you updated, and to you and all the other guys that have been posting - thanks and have a great Christmas and New Year! I'm off to ride my old Hornet.....

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc

Post by Emmjaydee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 pm

[quote]I have tried your suggestion of putting someone on the back which works, unfortunately the screams and kidney punches render that solution useless as soon as the throttle is opened - unless I can get a shop dummy with lead legs... :lol: /quote]

I am so lucky with my wife then......she is a brilliant pillion. :lol:

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc

Post by Emmjaydee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 pm

[quote]I have tried your suggestion of putting someone on the back which works, unfortunately the screams and kidney punches render that solution useless as soon as the throttle is opened - unless I can get a shop dummy with lead legs... :lol: /quote]

I am so lucky with my wife then......she is a brilliant pillion. :lol:

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 am

may be i am a little lucky about this suspension business. As i ride it seems to get better. The leak was a problem and take it to the dealer, forks been cleaned and seals are cleaned and checked. there is still slight leak but they say its not a leak its a road dust pushed out so the seals are working well.

both ways doesn't bother me as it is under warranty

so far i have some warranty jobs done.

fuel pump electrical Plug changed under warranty
2 times side stand changed under warranty
the latest thing my rear brake peds wear of too quickly and they changed under warranty .
My bike is at 3500 miles my rear breaks was flat. They say it should last me minimum of 4000 miles
i ride everyday two up 26 miles commuting.

i think its the dealer ship , i am very happy with my dealer IN-MOTO Croydon. They are the best with dealing. When my bike is broken or needs servicing i always get offered another bike for that day.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Tancakar wrote: My bike is at 3500 miles my rear breaks was flat. They say it should last me minimum of 4000 miles
i ride everyday two up 26 miles commuting
Do you have hill assist ! If so I wonder if it's allowing the rear to drag . Mine has done over 4k and rear pads have loads left in them .

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:51 pm

MR C wrote:
Tancakar wrote: My bike is at 3500 miles my rear breaks was flat. They say it should last me minimum of 4000 miles
i ride everyday two up 26 miles commuting
Do you have hill assist ! If so I wonder if it's allowing the rear to drag . Mine has done over 4k and rear pads have loads left in them .
I forgot about hill assist, i must read the manual to find out how it works, i just use the foot brake, thats the sole purpose of a foot brake.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:31 am

Neither do I have hill assist but I do recall another bike manufacture having issues with pads only lasting 2k because the rear was dragging after hill assist applied.

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:27 pm

no i dont have a hill start and i think hill start is a gimmick. Hill start is no need for any real riders. i think its my riding style normally never seen more then 5000 miles on any manufactures. I commute from Kent to London with two up. I think its very normal. 26 miles everyday. 5 times a week.

DaveNZ
675cc
675cc

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:33 am

My new car has hill assist, not on the GT that I've found, lots of other abbreviations tho.

OldGit60
125cc
125cc

Post by OldGit60 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:02 am

Quick update - have fitted new screen from Puig, not cheap but works well. No significant wind blast or buffet up to 130 mph (private road of course).
Riding permanently in 'Sport' but trying 1290s when demo bike arrives at dealer next month......

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:28 pm

@OldGot60 thanks for the update and great to no the screen works, I'm going to order one just to use for my trips alway, being such a big screen does it vibrate much !

OldGit60
125cc
125cc

Post by OldGit60 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 am

MR C wrote:@OldGot60 thanks for the update and great to no the screen works, I'm going to order one just to use for my trips alway, being such a big screen does it vibrate much !
Hi MrC,

I haven't done a lot of miles but at mid height setting I didn't notice any vibes - the screen looks and feels a quality piece of kit and not like a riot shield that has been tacked on! It looks like original equipment, which I intend to leave on permanently but is an easy fit either way. Just need to find top box/cissy bar now to keep pillion in place...
Happy touring