Well That Was a Surprise...

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 pm

I’m convinced it’s the battery. Canbus systems do not like batteries that are even a little bit down. I had the same sort of issues on my S1000R when it was just under two years old. Logic said it was not the battery. But after a couple of months of random odd behavior...cranking a few seconds then going dead (but will start after a couple of tries), gauges going wonky, error messages...I finally replaced the battery and it was fine after that.

I’m about at that place with the SD GT now. It frequently does not want to turnover when trying to start it, makes odd noises as if it’s hungover and doesn’t not want to go to work, but finally starts. But it’s very random. My bike was a leftover 2017 when I bought it just over a year ago and I think the battery just didn’t like sitting all that time.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 am
Country: UK
City: Plymouth
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by mick shere » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:02 pm

My attention required triangle was because it was more than 12 months since a service ...

Really chuffed normal service is resuming all the very best mate

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 am

mick shere wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:02 pm
My attention required triangle was because it was more than 12 months since a service ...

Really chuffed normal service is resuming all the very best mate

Thanks Mick & Jj,

I'm booked in at KTM for a plug in and check over..... but I suspect it's just the battery and my lack of use behind the check lamp. It's not the service indicator as I've changed that to 15,000km and 2 years (I dump my semi syn oil every 5k kms and never need the bike to remind me to do services ;) ).

The rear brake will prob need a seal kit due lack of use...... bit like me, :lol: ...... gone silly in the head due lack of use....... :roll:

So 2 rides down, only 130kms in total, but one small step at a time, steady as she goes skipper, sure feels great :D
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm going off topic in my last two posts, but I found that the battery is not my problem. Once I know more I'll start a new thread. I did some homework on the internet yesterday after putting in a new battery. My guess now is that the starter "torque limiter" may be the root cause. The dealer is backed up now so I'll probably take it to them in a few weeks.

Anyone familiar with issues with the torque limiter?
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am

I concur with your thoughts.... JJ...... I have just returned from my KTM outpatients clinic for my Gt with it's weird warning messages and dash 'check engine symbol' lamp....... and it was nothing to do with the battery!

KTM tech has got the very latest diagnosis tablet...... he invited me out the back to watch...... and it had told him my GT was telling the system that it "needed a resistor for the purge valve"....... so straight away I knew the dongle I bought from the UK was crapp.. :roll: .

Out it went and back in went the oem purge valve - and the tech removed the "loop" hoses as they are not required (just as I thought).
No resistance ...... looks fried..... .jpg
No resistance ...... looks fried..... .jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 345 times
That ain't right...... Charcoal removal dongle resistor has fried 6 Apr 019.jpg
That ain't right...... Charcoal removal dongle resistor has fried 6 Apr 019.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 345 times
The purge valve doesn't do anything once it is unplugged from it's vacuum source (those hoses need to be plugged!) - I capped the ends but the tech said it's not necessary.
Purge valve back on but capped 6 Apr 019 .jpg
Purge valve back on but capped 6 Apr 019 .jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 345 times
He deleted the warning symbol lamp as it wouldn't disappear after 3 ignition 'on/off' cycles and the bike has run flawlessly with no worrying false warnings.

He also said when I pressed for which battery should I be using (Lithium/Odessey/??), the battery is not an issue...... the bike might record a low voltage spike event in the log, but it doesn't cause strange error warnings etc..... and any sports AGM battery is fine so long as it's the correct p/no ;) .
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Another Bloody Surprise...... How Surprising

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 am

Cheers all you Super Twins reprobates.......

Bikes running fine (actually it's bloody marvelous :D ), and I'm clunking along fine too even though my left hip is more painful every day...... (that's the next big event :roll: ).

No, today's surprise was at the fuel station at midday, while I was enjoying filling the Tucson's tank ready for an early start tomorrow, for my weekend trip to Inverell in NSW for the old bike Restorer's Rally........

I had to wait for some congestion to clear before I could get to the 95oct pump...... I rolled to the front pump leaving the rear free for the next victim ($1.50/ltr today :lol: ).

So there I was happily gasing up and just about done, (I have to trickle the last 5 ltrs in to get a proper fill) and in comes a car behind...... huh.....' that's a bit close to my rear fender' I though to myself, but he was either a good judge of distance or just lucky.

Anyway, i trickle on, nearly done, when he briskly walks up and starts abusing me about not parking far enough forward so he can fuel up....... far out...... the hose will easily reach (I thought) and he started calling me a dickhead and a f..king idiot over and over......... I wanted to drop him, maybe even kick his head off, but I knew I was crippled and just not capable of doing anything...... I even said that I had had heart surgery and hadn't used this servo for a while...... he quipped that he also had heart surgery as he began calling me an ignorant dickhead and a f..king idiot again....... so when I put the hose up he was in my face making sure I drove forward a half a metre..... to which i said 'hope they don't think I'm going to do a drive off theft' .... to which he said 'they won't' and again called me a dickhead and a f....... you get the idea eh?

I was amazed how calm I was..... knowing i'd probably need an ambulance if I escalated my true feelings, so I just rolled forward a tad, and went in to pay....... when it was my turn (after waiting for 2 ahead to pay) I alerted the cashier to the guy and said he just gave me non stop abuse..... and I suggested she charge him double price........ to which a woman behind me had a giggle. Thinking back, I suspect she was his wife/passenger that I barely noticed had got out of the left door to go in and pay while boof head filled up.

I'll never forget him...... wish I had seen his plate clearly..... but I was keen to remove my shiny new Tucson from his aggressive self....... maybe one day he will do it again, and maybe I'll be much more able to defend myself........ :twisted:

You meet all sorts eh? But this took the cake...... I had to wait 3-5mins to even get to a pump, he was straight in but didn't want to be out of sight of the digital readout (must have been a miser and only wanted to put $10 in :lol: )......... the fuel hoses even reach around the car to the other side so it's not even necessary to pull up to a pump on the filler cap side........ :roll: I hope life treats him with the same respect he showed me ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:27 am

One consolation Dave, if it happened in the US, you would probably been shot, or you shot him.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

When he said he had heart surgery too, you should have said “yeah, they obviously removed it”.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 am

jjscsix wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm
When he said he had heart surgery too, you should have said “yeah, they obviously removed it”.
:lol: ....... looking back at the incident........ after a great weekend away...... I think he had a "mental health" issue....... and it was probably BS that he claimed heart surgery :( .

After I got home I realized i had a weapon in my hands and never thought to use it (the fuel hose & nozzle).

But that could have endangered everyone at the servo if a fire had started and he might have attacked me anyway, so best to stay calm and in control and walk away (drive away) undamaged........

But watch out next guy...... I'm weary of 'turning the other cheek' to these pricks......... :roll:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 am
Country: UK
City: Plymouth
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by mick shere » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Unfortunately a lot of those arseholes live up here as well

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 am

At least y'all don't have one running your country :?
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 am

jjscsix wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 am
At least y'all don't have one running your country :?

:lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: ...... :mrgreen:

Cheers mate....... rednecks won't appreciate the humour....... was watching a current affairs program and it seems your man has sacked everybody who knew anything about running a Country, and is trying to make all the decisions by himself....... :shock: ........ with the attention span of a 3 yo..... like that's gonna work out well eh :roll: .

PS.... off topic but they also said the so called Mexican Border Invasion issue isn't being helped by the US Govt cutting all aid to the struggling South American countries, causing a mass exodus from starvation/health crisis..

What a man........ ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

knackers
500cc
500cc
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:55 am
Country: Australia
City: Melbourne
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by knackers » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 am

Aussie Dave wrote:Cheers all you Super Twins reprobates.......

Bikes running fine (actually it's bloody marvelous :D ), and I'm clunking along fine too even though my left hip is more painful every day...... (that's the next big event :roll: ).

No, today's surprise was at the fuel station at midday, while I was enjoying filling the Tucson's tank ready for an early start tomorrow, for my weekend trip to Inverell in NSW for the old bike Restorer's Rally........

I had to wait for some congestion to clear before I could get to the 95oct pump...... I rolled to the front pump leaving the rear free for the next victim ($1.50/ltr today :lol: ).

So there I was happily gasing up and just about done, (I have to trickle the last 5 ltrs in to get a proper fill) and in comes a car behind...... huh.....' that's a bit close to my rear fender' I though to myself, but he was either a good judge of distance or just lucky.

Anyway, i trickle on, nearly done, when he briskly walks up and starts abusing me about not parking far enough forward so he can fuel up....... far out...... the hose will easily reach (I thought) and he started calling me a dickhead and a f..king idiot over and over......... I wanted to drop him, maybe even kick his head off, but I knew I was crippled and just not capable of doing anything...... I even said that I had had heart surgery and hadn't used this servo for a while...... he quipped that he also had heart surgery as he began calling me an ignorant dickhead and a f..king idiot again....... so when I put the hose up he was in my face making sure I drove forward a half a metre..... to which i said 'hope they don't think I'm going to do a drive off theft' .... to which he said 'they won't' and again called me a dickhead and a f....... you get the idea eh?

I was amazed how calm I was..... knowing i'd probably need an ambulance if I escalated my true feelings, so I just rolled forward a tad, and went in to pay....... when it was my turn (after waiting for 2 ahead to pay) I alerted the cashier to the guy and said he just gave me non stop abuse..... and I suggested she charge him double price........ to which a woman behind me had a giggle. Thinking back, I suspect she was his wife/passenger that I barely noticed had got out of the left door to go in and pay while boof head filled up.

I'll never forget him...... wish I had seen his plate clearly..... but I was keen to remove my shiny new Tucson from his aggressive self....... maybe one day he will do it again, and maybe I'll be much more able to defend myself........ :twisted:

You meet all sorts eh? But this took the cake...... I had to wait 3-5mins to even get to a pump, he was straight in but didn't want to be out of sight of the digital readout (must have been a miser and only wanted to put $10 in :lol: )......... the fuel hoses even reach around the car to the other side so it's not even necessary to pull up to a pump on the filler cap side........ :roll: I hope life treats him with the same respect he showed me ;)
You did the right thing Davo, I would have at least taken a photo of his car and rego if possible and alerted the cops who would do nothing anyway but if something happened to someone else then they would have had so,e idea on this wanker. You don’t need the aggravation in your condition and it sounds like he has some kind of mental health problem as you said.

Get out and enjoy yourself on your bike and let the wankers wank.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 am

Cheers mate...... appreciate the support :)

He was parked so close i couldn't get a sneaky pic without being noticed, so i just did a tactical withdrawal thinking about keeping my first ever brand new car unmarked....... my pride/ego can take a distant second place eh :lol: ....... and it's already scratched up and dented anyway........ :roll:

I've been out on the GT 4-5 times already...... all good....... didn't do the Inverell trip on the bike but at least I now know I could have....... I'll be out over Easter, when the mad rush to leave is over and before the crazy return traffic starts...... wonder if the fuel price might lower on Sunday while no one is buying petrol ??

:lol:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 am
jjscsix wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 am
At least y'all don't have one running your country :?

:lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: ...... :mrgreen:

Cheers mate....... rednecks won't appreciate the humour....... was watching a current affairs program and it seems your man has sacked everybody who knew anything about running a Country, and is trying to make all the decisions by himself....... :shock: ........ with the attention span of a 3 yo..... like that's gonna work out well eh :roll: .

PS.... off topic but they also said the so called Mexican Border Invasion issue isn't being helped by the US Govt cutting all aid to the struggling South American countries, causing a mass exodus from starvation/health crisis..

What a man........ ;)
Good read...you and I see it about the same way.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 am

:lol: ..... yes, but is it only us 2 that can tell when we are being conned by a trumped up salesman?

I worry about humanity if so.......... :(
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

jjscsix
675cc
675cc
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by jjscsix » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 am

It's really exciting this week with the report being released.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, 2017 Yamaha FJR1300, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: Well That Was a Surprise...

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:58 am

Cheers JJ,

Yes.... I hear the Dem's are going after the full report (and the evidence files)...... there has been one hell of a cover-up and DT knows it........ I'd love to see justice for all those loyal US employees who tried to stop an idiot from turning the Whitehouse into a television comedy show.......

;)

Ps Just installed my O2 fuel dongles...... but it's rainy weather and I can't do a test ride yet. Here's hoping I can get out tomorrow (Sunday) as it's the Easter 4 day weekend and Monday is likely to be a roadblock as everybody comes home.

I used your technique to put my tank back on...... so much easier to slip those clips in after the tank is on than before! Good therapy working on a bike on a rainy day...... :lol:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Post Reply