Another Newbie but not got one yet.

Penfold
125cc
125cc
City: Doncaster
Year: 2016

Another Newbie but not got one yet.

Post by Penfold » Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello, I'm Matt from Doncaster in the UK and I'm pretty certain that a SDGT will be my next bike as I really like the look of them and want something that's as much fun as my MT-10 but can also carry luggage. My friends are planning a tour of Europe next year and the MT's 100-ish mile tank range would be a pain in the.... Wallet.

The most I have done with the MT was a long weekend on the isle of man last year where to be fair it was faultless over the mountain, with a top box attached, 65 miles of smiles before the blinking icon said get to Ramsey and refuel, again.

I'm not expecting the SDGT to be amazing on fuel during playtime but it does carry more of it and with people on here reporting 200+ miles range it sounds like it's quite economical while cruising about, like my old Multistrada was but hopefully more reliable (it was a '13).
I just need to get a test ride but the local dealer (SMC Sheffield) sold their demo bike and won't have another until the end of the month.

I have seen that the exhaust valve can be an issue, and I have a plan, Lock Wire it open and get a cam for the motor :idea:

A picture of the current steed...

dasjefe
125cc
125cc
City: TAYLOR
Year: 2017

Re: Another Newbie but not got one yet.

Post by dasjefe » Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 pm

I come from a similar background. I had an Aprilia Tuono and switched to the SDGT. I don't regret it. The SDGT really belongs in a category all its own.

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth

Post by mick shere » Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 am

Warning... life will never be the same if you buy the GT... in a good way

Welcome in :-)

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mick shere » Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am

How are you getting over the channel? I've used the chunnel a few times and much prefer it to ferries, not helped by 22 hours in the bay of biscay washing machine crossing last time from Santander to Plymouth

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am

I haven't been before but we will be on the chunnel.

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 pm

I think that I crossed another hurdle today, I called the insurance company... £26 to transfer my MT policy to a SDGT 8-) I was expecting that to be higher but BeMoto came in very reasonable. Getting old at 36 with 7 years NCB must help.

Now if these dealers would call me back with firm quotes which don't take the micky then I would be a happy bunny.

Unrelated but I watched a 44 teeth video last night and Fagan was on a tyre launch for Bridgestone, all those various bikes to choose from and he got there early to lay his jacket on the SDGT. Over and above the BMW R1200RS, I rode one and liked it but it didn't really light my fire, the S1000XR did, but made my nuts tingle and mt MT's engine sound quiet and refined, also it surged at constant speed... I don't think I'm old enough for a flat twin... Not mentally anyway.

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mick shere » Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am

If you get chance watch the 44 teeth YouTube episodes x 3 showing their trip to Austrian motogp on the GT,s

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Fri May 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes I've seen those but might give them another watch, nobody really seems to have a bad word about the SDGT on reviews.

But I am having a very good browse of the teething problems section, nothing has put me off yet.

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Sat May 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Today's update, the 3rd KTM dealer has given me the run-around then 'Sorry, that bike has been sold and your trade in is worth buttons to us'... :evil:

Seriously, £6K for a 18 month old MT-10 in great condition with 7.5K miles... The BMW dealer offered £7700 and I thought that was a little cheeky (he offered 7500 and we negotiated).

Is all the KTM dealer network this uninterested in selling bikes or have I just had a run of bad luck?

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mick shere » Sun May 06, 2018 4:36 pm

That is an insulting offer, does that mean the bike shops selling ktm are all struggling? I traded my Busa into Fowlers in Bristol with a decent deal (after several conversations all done over the phone because I live almost 100 miles from them) I know its a distance from you but Im sure they do delivery/return... price of a phone call?

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Sun May 06, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm still looking, got a friend in Birmingham calling in to DMC to have a look at a used one there with 3 box luggage on my behalf, he's had a few bikes from there so might be able to broker a good deal.

I haunted SMC today for an hour and the sales guys didn't seem keen on talking.

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter

Post by mick shere » Mon May 07, 2018 9:07 am

Hahaha I'm invisible at the local big franchise down here, I can walk round and round and no one ever approaches me. All the other local bike shops are great and in on first name terms with them... their loss eh?

Penfold
125cc
125cc

Post by Penfold » Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Update time.

The one in Birmingham had already sold by the time I got a chance to call, but, the salesman had a fellow in the shop having his serviced and talking about trading it in.
Over 20 Emails back and forth and I paid a deposit on a freshly serviced Orange SD GT today, subject to a test ride I pick it up next friday (18th).

It's got some nice accessory's on it already and comes with the panniers. No sat nav mount though but they are fitting one for me.