:D

Superdave99
125cc
125cc
City: Houston
Year: 2017

Re: My new GT!

Post by Superdave99 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Congrats on the GT. Twist the wrist and enjoy the grins. :o :) :lol: just turned 10500 miles on mine and going strong. :D

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth

Post by mick shere » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 pm

They are amazing bikes :D

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 am

Welcome to the crew....... the GT gets better and better as the miles tick by too! Mine was only starting to scrub in after about 3k kms.....getting better after 7k kms, and now at 10k kms it is fully settled with nice compliant suspension (on street), ...... and all of it's 150rwhp available... :D

Have a go at Sport engine map - I found mine was nicer around town in sport than street.....but I haven't changed back to test that impression......maybe I've just gone softer in the head with my age odo clicking over :roll:

Hell, that reminds me...... I was going to turn off my electrickery and cautiously sample the untamed "beast", but the thing goes so hard I haven't needed to go looking for extra excitement - yet....... :lol:

Cheers from Aus
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

jasonk
125cc
125cc
City: Sandton

Post by jasonk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 am

Thank you for the welcome :)

I have tried out the Street Mode - it is really smooth off closed throttle - which is really nice - I'd love to get a Mode that is just as smooth off closed, but closer to 1:1 (Sport-ish) beyond.
I have had the bike in Sport since new - I'm happy enough using the clutch in slower stuff.

I picked up a Dongle, which has been fitted since new, and I have had an extra Suspension setting: Race
From what I've read, it is something of a rarity, with only a limited number programmed with the option - could any other Dongle owner's weigh in?
I have tried the other modes for a few minutes, but I am really happy with the bike's handling in Race, so I always revert to that.

I'm running with Pre-Load set to 1 + Luggage - which suits my geared-up weight well.

I'm going to try with TC off to see the impact it has - maybe to keep myself on my toes - but also to hone my skills.

Awesome machines! :D

Safe Journeys!

akarmire
250cc
250cc
City: Salem
Year: 2016

Post by akarmire » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 am

Ok... I'm very interested in this race suspension mode, can you take a picture of the dash to show this? What year is yours?

Aussie Dave/Jason, you haven't lived yet if you haven't turned off the TC! It's amazing how much it intervenes and you don't know it. I'm a big wheelie enthusiast so if its dry and the tires have good heat in them the TC is off. Be careful doing so but l think you'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi akamire, I've only ever found a single reference to the RACE Damping Mode - the reference is concerning a Lap Time of Qatar - and a handful of Dongles that were programmed this way.

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_me ... GTs-6.html

"Maar dan nog, waar komt die stand RACE op de foto dan vandaan? Nou, Verpalen is er samen met de importeur nogal diep ingedoken en de lezing is als volgt. Bij het uitbrengen van de Duke heeft de fabrikant een coureur uitgenodigd (naam ben ik ff kwijt) die op het circuit (Qatar geloof ik) een toptijd moest neerzetten. Om dat mogelijk te maken hebben ze een speciale dongle gefixt die o.a. ook die RACE-modus oplevert en die in die test-Duke geprikt. Er zijn een handvol dongles uitgebracht met deze setting. De eigenaar van zo'n dongle heeft dus mazzel. De reguliere dongles doen niks. In ieder geval, niet het ding dat ik kocht. Lekker het geld in je zak houden. Of bij zo'n mooie rearset leggen. Daar heb je veel meer aan."

Mine was manufactured in 2016 but has had all updates applied.

Here's a pic of the dash:

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Hmmm, my 2017 GT doesn't have that....... must be the Dongle that adds that extra line...... so ow's it go in race damping? Isit fully stiff and hard or does it have good compliant damping?

I have had mine in 1+lgge almost from new and used comfort when it was really fresh (other settings were just to new and stiff), migrating to street when the suspension worked itself in and freed up nicely, to now sneaking on to sport for the twisties and back to street for general everyday use (sport also for touring with side cases loaded and 2up spring for solo rider).

Works pretty good - though it has been upset by corrugated bitumen on corner apex......must go looking for that corner and try again.......suspect most bikes would react, though I think programmed active damping probably can't cope with that type of surface change.......but it does iron out the everyday lumps and bumps (which I notice when I ride the same roads on my Honda 1100xx with it's Ohlins set as soft as I can go..... ;) ).

Cheers mate - almost over my misery flu......looking to test the TC 'off' soon..... :twisted:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 pm

jasonk wrote:Hi akamire, I've only ever found a single reference to the RACE Damping Mode - the reference is concerning a Lap Time of Qatar - and a handful of Dongles that were programmed this way.

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_me ... GTs-6.html

"Maar dan nog, waar komt die stand RACE op de foto dan vandaan? Nou, Verpalen is er samen met de importeur nogal diep ingedoken en de lezing is als volgt. Bij het uitbrengen van de Duke heeft de fabrikant een coureur uitgenodigd (naam ben ik ff kwijt) die op het circuit (Qatar geloof ik) een toptijd moest neerzetten. Om dat mogelijk te maken hebben ze een speciale dongle gefixt die o.a. ook die RACE-modus oplevert en die in die test-Duke geprikt. Er zijn een handvol dongles uitgebracht met deze setting. De eigenaar van zo'n dongle heeft dus mazzel. De reguliere dongles doen niks. In ieder geval, niet het ding dat ik kocht. Lekker het geld in je zak houden. Of bij zo'n mooie rearset leggen. Daar heb je veel meer aan."

Mine was manufactured in 2016 but has had all updates applied.

Here's a pic of the dash:

Interesting stuff, l assume your located in Europe? Nobody's heard of this around here.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

@Aussie Dave - get well soon!

It's definitely the Dongle - I pulled mine off to test.

I find the suspension to be really good - better than my '14 SDR, and certainly more comfortable than the Tuono Factory I had a little while ago.

I find it precise enough for me, while being comfortable overall - it tracks really well and is confidence inspiring :)

@akarmire - I'm in South Africa - but we do get European-spec, to the best of my knowledge.

I wonder how many were made that made their way onto GTs...

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 am

Cool, South Africa looks like beautiful country. I actually knew nothing about the place until recently when 2 guys I now work with are from there.

So what brand is this dongle? Surely its not factory????

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 am

jasonk wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am
@Aussie Dave - get well soon!

It's definitely the Dongle - I pulled mine off to test.

I find the suspension to be really good - better than my '14 SDR, and certainly more comfortable than the Tuono Factory I had a little while ago.

I find it precise enough for me, while being comfortable overall - it tracks really well and is confidence inspiring :)

@akarmire - I'm in South Africa - but we do get European-spec, to the best of my knowledge.

I wonder how many were made that made their way onto GTs...
Wellcome Jason, i too had the 1290R first, I'm not totally convinced with the GTs suspension for halling arse (going really fast :D ) i preferred the 1290Rs settable suspension, but I'm able to get good settings with a solo rider, set in sport mode, rider plus luggage. I want that dongle you have> :mrgreen:
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 pm

@akarmire Yeah, KTM PowerParts Race Dongle - it permits settings made to MTC and ABS to be stored and not reset after each power cycle. The additional Race Damping setting seems to be something that not all have.

South Africa is a beautiful country - there are so many places to see!

Which region(s) are your colleagues from?

@DaveNZ Thank you for the welcome :)

Yeah, the GT isn't as focused as the R, but I'm quite happy with the compromise.

The GT is a brilliant companion on practically any trip and gets me closer to my idea of the perfect all-rounder

I haven't spent enough time in the saddle testing back-to-back to say with confidence if there's much of a difference to the damping settings - I will be comparing once I've done a few thousand ks more, once everything has bedded-in nicely and settled.

I'll definitely share my thoughts once I have been around the block a bit more :)

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 pm

jasonk wrote:@akarmire Yeah, KTM PowerParts Race Dongle - it permits settings made to MTC and ABS to be stored and not reset after each power cycle. The additional Race Damping setting seems to be something that not all have.

South Africa is a beautiful country - there are so many places to see!

Which region(s) are your colleagues from?

@DaveNZ Thank you for the welcome :)

Yeah, the GT isn't as focused as the R, but I'm quite happy with the compromise.

The GT is a brilliant companion on practically any trip and gets me closer to my idea of the perfect all-rounder

I haven't spent enough time in the saddle testing back-to-back to say with confidence if there's much of a difference to the damping settings - I will be comparing once I've done a few thousand ks more, once everything has bedded-in nicely and settled.

I'll definitely share my thoughts once I have been around the block a bit more :)
Great info @jasonk, I'll look into this dongle for sure. Thanks!

I'll have to ask where they're from, l know they told me but l don't know sh*t about the place....lol

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter

Post by GaryCulb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 am

New Here. Asked about the KTM Dongle for the Super Duke ( https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-dongl ... -2014-2017 ) with my KTM Dealer in Asheville, NC- USA ( http://eurosportasheville.com/inventory/new/ktm ). This was the response they gave:

“The KTM Dongle will allow you to turn off the ABS (or choose any available setting) and then turn the bike off and on without having to reset your preference. As the bike sits now, if you choose to have the ABS off, once you restart the bike, the ABS defaults to on. The dongle will allow the settings to remain in the last chosen setting. The dongle will also allow an additional damping mode for "Race" setting. I understand it will have a higher resistance to bottoming and offer more high speed damping. This setting may be miserable on the street but could offer an advantage on a few tracks (especially some of the smoother surfaces in the Southeast (i.e. Barber MSP). Upon installation of the dongle, the computer display will show "NOT LEGAL" on the screen. Since DOT/N.A. bikes must default it's safety systems to the "on" position, the dongle overrides it and could potentially be dangerous if one were to forget to select the appropriate settings.”

Same dealer is putting together my 2017 KTM Super Duke GT. Also have a BMW K1600.

Best,

Doc

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 am

Awesome - thanks Doc

Brilliant if it is available on all Dongles :)

I don't find it harsh at all - although I prefer responsive handling over comfort.

When are you taking delivery?

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter

Post by GaryCulb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Should get my SD GT in Dec. Eurosports includes 15% off all acessories & installs them free if you purchase them with your ride! I do allot of Sports Touring in the Appalachian Mountains in the USA (individual & group) so, setting the bike up for that purpose. Here is one of our events ( https://www.facebook.com/K1600DG/ ). Best,

Doc

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm

GaryCulb wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm
Should get my SD GT in Dec. Eurosports includes 15% off all acessories & installs them free if you purchase them with your ride! I do allot of Sports Touring in the Appalachian Mountains in the USA (individual & group) so, setting the bike up for that purpose. Here is one of our events ( https://www.facebook.com/K1600DG/ ). Best,

Doc

Nice one!

akarmire
250cc
250cc

Post by akarmire » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks Doc, some good info there. So is the dongle plug and play or does the dealer have to unlock this "race" suspension setting? Similar to how they have to program the MSR and hill hold features ( of course they charge decent money for it)

BTW I was at Barber last month, its not as smooth as it once was. It took a few sessions to find the smoother lines. Barber also broke my cherry on the "raise your hand if you've crashed at the track" speech they do at track days.... I'm now a member Image

No injuries though so I'm not complaining to much.

Dewayne Edwards 1974
250cc
250cc
City: Slocomb

Post by Dewayne Edwards 1974 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Just did a 439 mile ride yesterday and loved every min of it. I’m at 3500 miles on it and it is getting better every mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
IMG_0330.JPG