Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post Reply
RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:46 am

Hello All and Happy New Year's

I am a desirer of a Super Duke GT...a bit about myself. I have been riding 30 years and have only had the pleasure of riding Hondas and for full disclosure I have only had 3 road bikes...a 1976 Goldwing and 2 Honda Valkyrie Tourers.
My current ride started out life as a 1998 Honda Tourer and had sort of morphed into a bobber project because I had made the assumption that my wife did not want to ride any more...and then I made a comment "man, I really wish you still liked to go riding" and she responded with a shocked expression and asked me where I got that idea...and I suggested it might have been the fact that I heard no comments as I was taking stuff of the bike towards a bobber...long story into a best seller. I got the bike back together for 2-up riding in 4 hrs on a Sunday...ordered her a new Schuberth E1 to match mine and we started riding again.
Started looking at bikes and I read an review of the Ducati XDiavelS and was really interested in all of the safety features, and although it was a little expensive I liked it until I started reading all of the cruiser comments and decided that I didnt want another cruiser. I have been riding the twisteis around Mesa with a buddy who is riding a naked bike, and that got me looking at the Super Duke R (had not learned of the GT) and thought that would be cool, so I srtarted looking at comfort for 2-up and thats how I found the Super Duke GT...we have a test ride scheduled for 1/7. Chose MotoCity in Avondale AZ...hoping she likes it as much I think we will...and then hopefully pull the trigger.
Sorry for the long post but....
Last edited by RDKLL on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 am
Country: Canada
City: Edmonton
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: FNG in Mesa AZ

Post by JDS1290SDr » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. Im kinda bored at work & sitting up here in the frozen boonies with nothing better to do, so I will pipe in.
Firstly. these 1290 motors are impressive. Lots of fun. If I had to do it again I would have likely bought the GT instead of the SDR. Its a little stealthier. The SDR looks like trouble from a law officers POV.
Some of the guys with the GTs have had issues. It seems suspension is hit & miss. Heavier riders haven't had to many complaints. Lighter riders feel its to harsh.
If a SPORT/tourer type bike is what u want. From what ive read the GT will easily fulfill the sport end of it.
If u want better feed back. Maybe change your post tittle. I don't even know what FNG means ?

Check this out
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7965
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: FNG in Mesa AZ

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:34 pm

I have a GT, and a Multistrada, the GT is quite good 2up, the suspension can be dialled in really good for 2up, I'm 78kg, wife 60kg, we have the suspension set in Street mode 2 people and bags, this setting works best, the rear is a little too soft in just 2 people setting. Solo rider, sports setting is perfect for fast road riding, its much the same as i had my 1290R set up, street mode is good for cruising in, but i find the forks are a little too firm in comparison to the rear suspension, but with milage the forks have softened slightly. My wife likes going on the back of the GT, but she loves going on the Multistrada, the multi has better seating for her, and much better grab rails, oh and larger panniers. The multi is a bitch around town, the GT is smooth, and has fantastic brakes, The GT is far more nippier in comparison to the multi, but over all i rate the Multistrada a better bike, it has more potential when it comes to riding back country roads, and on gravel. The GT is much more of a sports bike, and it will brake loose those Angel GT tires. I found out the hard way. Im not sure a Diavel would be any good 2up, but they have a fantastic engine. Good luck in your decision, try a few bikes, try the Multistrada also.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Re: FNG in Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:13 am

JDS1290SDr wrote: I don't even know what FNG means ?
It means F*&%ing New Guy :)

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 am
Country: Canada
City: Edmonton
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: FNG in Mesa AZ

Post by JDS1290SDr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 pm

DaveNZ wrote:I have a GT, and a Multistrada, the GT is quite good 2up, the suspension can be dialled in really good for 2up, I'm 78kg, wife 60kg, we have the suspension set in Street mode 2 people and bags, this setting works best, the rear is a little too soft in just 2 people setting. Solo rider, sports setting is perfect for fast road riding, its much the same as i had my 1290R set up, street mode is good for cruising in, but i find the forks are a little too firm in comparison to the rear suspension, but with milage the forks have softened slightly. My wife likes going on the back of the GT, but she loves going on the Multistrada, the multi has better seating for her, and much better grab rails, oh and larger panniers. The multi is a bitch around town, the GT is smooth, and has fantastic brakes, The GT is far more nippier in comparison to the multi, but over all i rate the Multistrada a better bike, it has more potential when it comes to riding back country roads, and on gravel. The GT is much more of a sports bike, and it will brake loose those Angel GT tires. I found out the hard way. Im not sure a Diavel would be any good 2up, but they have a fantastic engine. Good luck in your decision, try a few bikes, try the Multistrada also.
Dave, say it aint so. Overall the Multi is a better bike? The Multi is probable better on gravel. But who the hell rides on gravel with a Multi or GT?
Im changing my opinion of you being a credible source ;)
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: FNG in Mesa AZ

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 am

JDS1290SDr wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:I have a GT, and a Multistrada, the GT is quite good 2up, the suspension can be dialled in really good for 2up, I'm 78kg, wife 60kg, we have the suspension set in Street mode 2 people and bags, this setting works best, the rear is a little too soft in just 2 people setting. Solo rider, sports setting is perfect for fast road riding, its much the same as i had my 1290R set up, street mode is good for cruising in, but i find the forks are a little too firm in comparison to the rear suspension, but with milage the forks have softened slightly. My wife likes going on the back of the GT, but she loves going on the Multistrada, the multi has better seating for her, and much better grab rails, oh and larger panniers. The multi is a bitch around town, the GT is smooth, and has fantastic brakes, The GT is far more nippier in comparison to the multi, but over all i rate the Multistrada a better bike, it has more potential when it comes to riding back country roads, and on gravel. The GT is much more of a sports bike, and it will brake loose those Angel GT tires. I found out the hard way. Im not sure a Diavel would be any good 2up, but they have a fantastic engine. Good luck in your decision, try a few bikes, try the Multistrada also.
Dave, say it aint so. Overall the Multi is a better bike? The Multi is probable better on gravel. But who the hell rides on gravel with a Multi or GT?
Im changing my opinion of you being a credible source ;)
Today i like the 1290 better.... Na its horses for courses, For some reason i really gel with my multistrada, The TTX suspension and the few changes I've made, make this a fabulous motorcycle.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25 pm

I think that because I am coming from such a drastically different bike, it is going to make the Super Duke GT that much greater. To be honest I would probably the most any other bike in this class. Wifey is looking forward to it in her own way...by not putting the kibosh on it at the first mention....
Current ride
Image
Hopefully this will be our 2-up rig
Image

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:08 am

Your in for a nice surprise RDKLL, what a change for you, you will love the GT, its a fantastically good all-round bike. Today i did 360Ks of highway and back country roads, riding with a mate on a 1299, we had a swap for a 100Ks, his 1299 was nice, but i just couldn't wait to get back on my GT, i have a now new appreciation of how good the suspension is in sports setting, one person. where the panigale was quite harsh, the GT just soaked it all up.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Well...
Test ride went fantabulous. She loved it...thinks it is more comfortable than the Valk because the seating on it placed weight on her tailbone...and the GT is leaned more forward
The test ride lasted about an hour and we had freeway and surface streets...
The power is amazing, but considering the Super Duke GT weighs 200 lbs less and has 70% more hp and 10% more tq...
There is a 2017 orange one in a box. We need a couple of weeks to get the down payment.


WE ARE GETTING A SUPER DUKE GT!

vet57air
675cc
675cc
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 am
Country: Canada
City: Port Alberni
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by vet57air » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 am

Sounds like you enjoyed it. You say they have a new 2017 ? It is the first 2017 that I have heard of for sale.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:06 am

He has 2, a grey and the orange that is in the box. I will be calling him on Monday to tell him that my wife changed her mind and wants the gray one. The dealer is http://www.azmotocity.com/

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:51 am

RDKLL wrote:He has 2, a grey and the orange that is in the box. I will be calling him on Monday to tell him that my wife changed her mind and wants the gray one. The dealer is http://www.azmotocity.com/
Great RDKLL, i also took my wife out yesterday on the GT, she loves it also. Did you try the different suspension settings. i found for 2 up riding, i set in street mode 2 persons and luggage. and the bike handles great. with just the 2 people setting, there is too much rear suspension travel. PS my wife chose the orange one. Enjoy, your in for a treat. Solo riding sport power mode, and sport suspension setting if your scooting along. in street suspension mode, it can get a little squishy in the rear. if your a big guy, you could also try street setting with 1 person and luggage, just to firm up the rear....Great choice man congrats.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Mesa
Year: 2017

Re: Super Duke GT desirer from Mesa AZ

Post by RDKLL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:30 pm

I did not realize how uncomfortable she is on the Valkyrie. The seating positin is more laid back up against the passenger backrest and that puts weight on her tailbone. Sort of funny, the first ride we go on together in sometime was to the Ducati dealer to sit on the XDiavelS and she says that would be great, but not now...then we go sit on and ride the Super Duke GT and she is on board (we need a bit to get the down payment together)
Together we are 390lbs, 28.5 stone and 177kg. I didnt get to ride on every surface but we did ride in 2 pass mode. A side, we forgot to have him set it for us and when I remebered, I stopped and we were able to make the change, so I guess it is a prett simple system. She said at no tim did she feel uncomfortable or insecure back there. The bags helped her feel a bit more secure because she can feel them on the back of her legs. She also stated that on this bike because it is so much narrower than the Valkyrie, and biased forward leaning, she can squeeze her knees together and it feels like she more secure.
I believe the first thing we will be getting is the passenger grab handle the fastens to the fuel cap surround.
I tried the cruise and initially it felt bulky trying to get it set, but on reflection, it will just be muscle memory so all is well there.
THE POWER. I was just tickeling the throttle and that thing feels like a horse that is screaming I WANT TO RUN.
Felt buzzy at times and then I remembered what I had been reading about trying to keep the revs up a little and that seemed to take care of it. And to keep it in perspective I am coming off a bike that is sewing machine smooth...so what every vibs I was feeling were probably not anywhere near as severe as I might have perceived them.
Still in test ride after glow!

Post Reply