New owner also.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

New owner also.

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Dave here, i traded my 1290R in 3 months ago, and 2 weeks back my nice new 1290GT arrived, I did 700Ks running it in reasonably quickly, but i low sided the bike at around a 100Ks, sliding down the road on the right side, so now ordering parts to rebuild it, so tank damage, plastics,over flow bottle, ground through the clutch cover, ground down the exhaust, and exhaust valve, handle bars and heated grips, turning lights etc, so a decent list of parts on order hopefully, I've also ordered a black Remus muffler and link pipe. So for me not a great start to this bike, I'm unsure if TC worked, but i guess it was, I'm going to remove the Angel tyres and fit something more grippy like M7RRs, i got a broken wrist, badly twisted ankle, scraps and bruises all over. fukit all. :| Cheers Dave.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

vet57air
675cc
675cc
City: Port Alberni
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New owner also.

Post by vet57air » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:55 am

Try not to get to discouraged Dave. The best of riders have gone down at one time or another. Your still alive.
Learn from it and continue on.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 am

Cheers vet57air. It's. Take a week and I've bounced back, but still hobbling, I'm heading to Philip island next week for to hang with my son and got to the Moto GP. So that will take my mind off it. I've read a few of you posts, and been very handy. I've ordered a Remus muffler and link pipe, and it comes with the fitting for exhaust valve actuator so can disconnect the cables. I will touch base with you on directions on fitting it if that's ok. Body is healing and the bike is repairable ( about $8000nz) and I'm lucky I didn't hit any thing solid. Just slid about 45 meters uphill. Cheers look forward to chatting. Thanx again.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Super Duke Antoine
125cc
125cc
City: The Hague
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Super Duke Antoine » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi Dave, that sucks! Hope your wrist recovers well. It is a great bike, but accidents like this happens. My GT has the Dunlop Road Smart 3 instead of the Angels GT. Great tyres.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:30 am

Thanx Antoine, when the bike is back together and running i will switch to the Metz M7RRs, my 1290R handled great on them, and i know what they are capable of, i also did around 12 track days on them and gained a lot of confidence on them, i see the stock tire pressures recommended for the Angels on the 1290GT is 42 PSI, I've only ever run them on my multistrada at 36PSI, and for 2up also, may be 42 i just too high for these tires to generate any heat.

maya06
125cc
125cc
City: Nice
Colour: Silver

Post by maya06 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:23 am

Hello DaveNZ !

Sorry to learn you had a slide.
Was it a rainy day ?
Fortunately you only hit the ground, not an obstacle. You'll be back soon on the bike. 8-)

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:09 am

maya06 wrote:Hello DaveNZ !

Was it a rainy day ?
Fortunately you only hit the ground, not an obstacle. You'll be back soon on the bike. 8-)
No Maya, it was a bone dry day, i foolishly was chasing a guy on a Hyabusa up over my favourite windy hill, i was exiting a fast up hill corner that has a slight sunken bit of tarseal, not a bad patch, but just enough to un load the suspension, i was hard on the gas, and the back stepped out quite rapidly, it put me in an out of shape riding position, i thought for a split second i had saved it, bit no, i went down really suddenly doing around 110K, and just slid up the road, i slid about 30 odd meters, the bike slid about 45 meters, all the damage was on one side of the bike, the std exhaust took the brunt of the impact, the bike initially landed on me and my right leg and ankle, we slid together them parted company, the clutch cover got ground through, so i got doubled home, and picked up the bike in my van. Totally my fault, i was pushing these Angel GT tires to hard, I'm so used to caining my 1290R over this hill, but i have run it on M7RRs tires. My ex 1290R would actually wheelie out of this up hill corner, but it had better grippier rubber, and i had the suspension dialled in to my liking. Live and learn eh, my first higher speed crash, I've had a few lower speed crashes on our back country roads, but minor ones.

maya06
125cc
125cc
City: Nice
Colour: Silver

Post by maya06 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:19 pm

DaveNZ wrote:
maya06 wrote:Hello DaveNZ !

Was it a rainy day ?
No Maya, it was a bone dry day, i foolishly was chasing a guy on a Hyabusa up over my favourite windy hill, i was exiting a fast up hill corner that has a slight sunken bit of tarseal, not a bad patch, but just enough to un load the suspension, i was hard on the gas, and the back stepped out quite rapidly, it put me in an out of shape riding position, i thought for a split second i had saved it, bit no, i went down really suddenly doing around 110K, and just slid up the road, i slid about 30 odd meters, the bike slid about 45 meters, all the damage was on one side of the bike, the std exhaust took the brunt of the impact, the bike initially landed on me and my right leg and ankle, we slid together them parted company, the clutch cover got ground through, so i got doubled home, and picked up the bike in my van. Totally my fault, i was pushing these Angel GT tires to hard, I'm so used to caining my 1290R over this hill, but i have run it on M7RRs tires. My ex 1290R would actually wheelie out of this up hill corner, but it had better grippier rubber, and i had the suspension dialled in to my liking. Live and learn eh, my first higher speed crash, I've had a few lower speed crashes on our back country roads, but minor ones.
Aha ... I see ... :mrgreen:
I 've been surprised too with this bike, it has so much torque that there is often a rear slippage
during a fraction of a second when putting throttle out of a corner.
It looks like the TC won't save you at all when the grip has gone.
It is my first 1290 so I'm trying not to take too much risk with it for the moment. 3500 kms only.
May be the Angel profile is too round for you. A more sporty profile would have more grip surface
when on the angle.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 pm

They are extremely torquey bikes Maya, they produce so much torque, that on track with really grippy tires the clutch will slip in the higher gears, have you tried riding your bike with TC turned off, well they come alive then, but don't wip your throttle open to quick, she will stand up on the back wheel real fast, on a recent track day i did on our newest race track (Hampton Downs-really grippy track) i turned TC off for my last 20 min session, and i was 2 seconds alap quicker. TC really holds these 1290s back, but makes them safer and easier to ride.