Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London
Year: 2016

She is finally here!

Post by Tancakar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Dear all

finally i receive my bike Monday lunchtime. i didn't test ride the bike and it was my first 1290 experience as well:) Truly impressive my wife thinks its even better then Ducati Multistrada as a pillion. I already have my heated seat fitted, its quite nice and padded. Also fitted with a BIKETRAC Road angel Tracking device as i promise my self never have a bike without it. Now waiting for the exhaust. Next month i like to buy the belly pan and tail tidy.

So What is the difference and first impressions ?

after riding so many bikes you kind of become a very hard to please customer. Is ktm 1290 GT perfect bike? No it isnt but its very close to it, with some little twiks it can be very close to be a perfect bike. So far i have been commuting and must say its so light and easy to get around. Alot easier then Ducati Multistrada. The weight is hidden very good centre gravit is very low in the middle, weirdly the seat as high as Multistrada but you dont feel strugle like on a Multistrada. Specially two up there is no diving on breaking. The suspension is slightly on the firm side even in comfort mode, but still she soaks the uneven road surfaces.

There is a screen but you still have wind on your chest but no buffeting or wind noise on the helmet very weird. i think the problem is you are sitting far to high, the screen is good enough.

- Breaks doesn't bite as Multistarada but i guess they are very new
- Clutch isn't as light as 1190 adventure but the gear changes seems to be smoother.
- Quick shifter is (yes and no, mahhh) after riding a bmw with quickshifter or a panigale or a Aprilia , ktm system feels like from 90's :) they have alot to upgrade about that. it isn't seamless you can really feel the engine cut of and changing. BUT again it might be because the bike is new and i cant past 6500 rpm.
- Talking about gears and changing the shifter for gear feels cheap. I wish Ktm should have make it alittle better. That will be a update for me for the future. It lever is adjustable however i couldnt get a comfort lever and my feet size 8.
- Siting position and Pillion position is just superb ! we both happy, it almost feels like i dont carry anyone, i have this feeling before at BMW K1600gt
- Engine is nice and torqy but also slightly vibey. No hands vibes but the feet suffers alittle but i will ask the dealer to check it out.
- My horn doesn't work, sometimes it work but very quite. I dont know why it is like an after though ?
- Mirrors are ok with no vibe but Multi mirrors was alot better. With Ktm there are too many blind spots
- So far so good ride in the rain for 2 days nothing stop working ( oh yeah the horn :) )

VERDICT

Best bits

Pillion comfort
Orange colour! its very bright!!!!
Suspension is clever and doesn't fails , ( anti dive on Street mode is a God send )
easy to ride ! low or high speeds
She is still a beast a more pretty one.

worst/bad bits

Horn
Cruise control looks like a 1960 computer or a commodor 69 ,its huge!
Quickshifter alittle dissapointing i just though even Triumph got a better one.

Last thing
From the design view this bike should have come with a belly pan or as an extra, for me belly pan tidy up the bike and make it less NAKED and street bike, more of a sport touring look.

I am very happy with the bike cant stop riding it :)

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

She is finally here!

Post by MR C » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:20 pm

Is your lid a c3 pro ! Any wind noise .

What belly pan are you buying !

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Re: She is finally here!

Post by Tancakar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Yeah its a C3 pro there is only a tiny wind noise because the screen gives a nice air flow but nothing uncomfortable. I just don't like the helmet being to wide. may be next time i will buy an ARAI.

Belly pan wise there are a few in the ebay, i will see which every i like really. The belly pan GT has a very small piece of aluminum.

AndyW
675cc
675cc
City: Weston-Super-Mare
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by AndyW » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

So, @Tancaker anything you would add to your above review 18 months on?
Any issues with the bike, changes/modifications?.....did you find a belly pan?
Thnx
AndyW - Uk 990 SMT Owners
>>>>>>>>https://www.facebook.com/uk.ktm990smt.owners
Bit of a 'geek' when not on the bike!...
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Hmmmm, haven't heard from Mr Tkr for a while......but I just stumbled onto a response in the General section under Random Chatter - it covers belly pans for the Gt.....there are now three styles, Puig, SW Motech and a very nice looking one from Germany (Ibex parts).....well worth a look.... 8-)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Tancaker's bike was on eBay for several weeks so presume he may have sold it by now ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyW
675cc
675cc
City: Weston-Super-Mare
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by AndyW » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks guys
AndyW - Uk 990 SMT Owners
>>>>>>>>https://www.facebook.com/uk.ktm990smt.owners
Bit of a 'geek' when not on the bike!...
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth
Year: 2017

Post by mick shere » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks for the update, I'll have a look at the ibex belly pans