2020 1290R.

Post Reply
DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

2020 1290R.

Post by DaveNZ » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:53 am

Well guys after 4 years of 1290GT ownership I'm saying goodbye. I test rode the 1290R yesterday, and holy molely its insane. So i traded the GT and my much loved 790 on it. It is fast, bloody fast with amazing suspension, and very nimble so it will replace my GT for fast touring with mates and replace my 790 for track day duty. I did 42,000 trouble free kms on the GT, and enjoyed it very much. Already got some venture brackets fitted and my pack fitted to the 1290R, she's ready to tour......................very fast tour.
Attachments
IMG_1701.jpg
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2018 790 IXIL pipe track day weapon. 1954 BSA 60th birthday present from the wife.

DaveW
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 am
Country: New Zealand
City: Christchurch
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by DaveW » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 pm

DaveNZ,

Wooo good for you mate. Funny i was looking on trade me just now and what a 1290GT at Boyds. Hopefully you got a decent trade in price for the GT going off their retail ???
So i flicked onto this site and what do you know ...you sitting on a brand new "R"

Enjoy :D

cheers
DaveW
2006 supermotard 950 , 2008 superduke 990, 2016 1290GT

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Good choice Dave,

I'm waiting for the 2021 SDGT which will be the 20SDR with the big tank and cases all over again......

I've just been reading about the Ducati V4S Streetfighter in AMCN........ Hmmmmm, 205Hp and 200Kg kerb........ Hmmmmmm, but only a pissy little 16Ltr tank means it won't go past a servo after 200kms......... oh well, Ducati might make a MSV4S, though I think the 21SDGT will be $10K cheaper........

Good buying...... the 20SDR gets the RC8 frame (lighter and stiffer) and the linkage type rear suspension (smother and better than direct to swingarm type)....... and that improved engine with titanium valves etc etc

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Aussie Dave on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 1290GT 27,484km, 05 CBR1100XX 130k kms

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:29 am

DaveW wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 pm
DaveNZ,

Wooo good for you mate. Funny i was looking on trade me just now and what a 1290GT at Boyds. Hopefully you got a decent trade in price for the GT going off their retail ???
So i flicked onto this site and what do you know ...you sitting on a brand new "R"

Enjoy :D

cheers
DaveW
Thats another one they have Dave, i think its a 2018 model, but looks the same. i got 16K trade which i thought was pretty good. They let me take the 1290R out to Raglan and of course i took the long road back. Im going to take it back this week, get the 1000km service and the race package loaded. Its one insane bike, the electronics are amazing and it also has tire pressure sensors. I very happy with it.
Attachments
IMG_1705.jpg
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2018 790 IXIL pipe track day weapon. 1954 BSA 60th birthday present from the wife.

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:14 am

:lol: ...... the 20SDR is 90% totally new compared to the old gen2 2018......... that RC8 frame and link type rear shock suspension and new motor and zorst is worth the extra cost........ all the guys on the KTM forum that have bought one, or test ridden one, rave about them....... they are not just a styling revision :mrgreen:
2017 1290GT 27,484km, 05 CBR1100XX 130k kms

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 am
Country: UK
City: Plymouth
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by mick shere » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am

Glad to see KTM are continuing to improve, the sdr does look amazing but Im sure my missus would be happy touring on it ;)
Did 370 miles this weekend to visit one of the kids now this lockdown is easing over here

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by DaveNZ » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pm

mick shere wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am
Glad to see KTM are continuing to improve, the sdr does look amazing but Im sure my missus would be happy touring on it ;)
Did 370 miles this weekend to visit one of the kids now this lockdown is easing over here
My wife was never totally happy on the back of the GT Mick, i originally brought the GT to replace the Multistrada, but she insisted i keep the Multi for touring with her. Big comfortable seat, good grab rails, and amazing TTX suspension. So the writing was always on the wall for the GT. But i loved riding it, loved the comfort of it and its luggage capacity so it became my sports touring bike with mates, which led me to buying the 790 for blasting back roads and track days. But with 4 bikes I've been thinking of down sizing, and the obvious choice was to trade both GT and 790 for the new 1290R. as it can cover both track days and fast riding/touring with mates, and the ole Multi stays to keep racking up the miles for touring. The Multi is an amazing do it all bike.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2018 790 IXIL pipe track day weapon. 1954 BSA 60th birthday present from the wife.

TCC
125cc
125cc
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 am
Country: Australia
City: Sydney
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by TCC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 am

Some of the posters here refer to the new 2020 Super Duke R as having an RC8 frame and yet most reviews mention KTM saying it is not the the RC8 frame and is in fact quite new. It prompted me to pull up a couple of pics for a comparo and although similar it is in fact different. Have a look see.
2010 RC8-R Frame.jpg
2020 1290 SD-R Frame.jpg

vet57air
675cc
675cc
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 am
Country: Canada
City: Port Alberni
Year: 2019
Colour: White

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by vet57air » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Always liked the RC8 side exhaust.

vet57air
675cc
675cc
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 am
Country: Canada
City: Port Alberni
Year: 2019
Colour: White

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by vet57air » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:32 pm
Good choice Dave,

I'm waiting for the 2021 SDGT which will be the 20SDR with the big tank and cases all over again......

I've just been reading about the Ducati V4S Streetfighter in AMCN........ Hmmmmm, 205Hp and 200Kg kerb........ Hmmmmmm, but only a pissy little 16Ltr tank means it won't go past a servo after 200kms......... oh well, Ducati might make a MSV4S, though I think the 21SDGT will be $10K cheaper........

Good buying...... the 20SDR gets the RC8 frame (lighter and stiffer) and the linkage type rear suspension (smother and better than direct to swingarm type)....... and that improved engine with titanium valves etc etc

:mrgreen:
New 2021 SDGT? Historically KTM has been on a 3 year model cycle? Latest came out in 2019, so I would not expect a new model until 2022.

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by Aussie Dave » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:43 am

G'day vet57air,

Yes, 2021 will see a GT based on the 90% brand new 20SDR....... it's been published in many magazines and spy shots have been analyzed - it's coming - just when is not known...... maybe it will be released to the press in October 21, which will be 3yrs from the 19 models release back in Oct 2018........ so it's all on track.

I think I'd be strongly tempted to trade my 17Gt as the 20SDR, on which it is based, has been a big success with those who have bought one. 'RC8'style frame and all..... :lol: .

My 17GT will be in it's 5th year, even though I have lost about 18months of riding due health issues and not put as many kms on mine as I would have expected - that may get me a better trade in offer ;) - but I think the 21GT will have enough to attract gen 1 riders to upgrade rather than look elsewhere for their next fix :lol: .

Cheers
2017 1290GT 27,484km, 05 CBR1100XX 130k kms

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

vet57air
675cc
675cc
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 am
Country: Canada
City: Port Alberni
Year: 2019
Colour: White

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by vet57air » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 am

Aussie Dave wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:43 am
G'day vet57air,

Yes, 2021 will see a GT based on the 90% brand new 20SDR....... it's been published in many magazines and spy shots have been analyzed - it's coming - just when is not known...... maybe it will be released to the press in October 21, which will be 3yrs from the 19 models release back in Oct 2018........ so it's all on track.

I think I'd be strongly tempted to trade my 17Gt as the 20SDR, on which it is based, has been a big success with those who have bought one. 'RC8'style frame and all..... :lol: .

My 17GT will be in it's 5th year, even though I have lost about 18months of riding due health issues and not put as many kms on mine as I would have expected - that may get me a better trade in offer ;) - but I think the 21GT will have enough to attract gen 1 riders to upgrade rather than look elsewhere for their next fix :lol: .

Cheers
Good to hear from you Auzzie Dave. I'm thinking your right it will be released at Ecima fall of 2021. I traded in my 2016 GT for a 2019 GT. Pretty happy with it. Love the TTF screen with the Nav. and phone app. Smoother bike overall.

User avatar
Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: 2020 1290R.

Post by Aussie Dave » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:21 am

Cheers TCC,

It sure looks like an RC8 style of frame to me (just with a higher steering stem for an upright riding stance)...... and bike mags have used similar terminology to highlight the changes over the old spaghetti style R/GT frame.

I think everybody here knows the frames are not taken directly from a parts bin, and are likely made of different spec tubing.

There are many changes on the 20SDR, including the suspension linkage that I'm advised by RC8 members, was used on the RC8.... so top marks to KTM for trickling down the tech to improve the 1290 models.

I rode an RC8 way back when they were first released (geeze, when was that.... mid 2000's ? I forget) - nearly shook my retina's loose on our bumpy roads and I was happy to hand it back to it's owner - maybe he had it set too firm :lol: ).

I've often wondered if they are still in production...... but I'm a long range public roads SDGT rider, not a track specialist ;).

:)
2017 1290GT 27,484km, 05 CBR1100XX 130k kms

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Post Reply