av8r
125cc
125cc
City: Binghamton
Year: 2008
Model: Adventure

Re: Airbox issue

Post by av8r » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:52 pm

So my 1190R is a 15 bought new at the end of October. Do I need to be concerned with this or has it been corrected in later bikes?

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White

Post by JJay51 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:47 pm

They supposedly improved the airbox but i still wouldnt have any faith in it, better to fit either the unifilter or Powercell pods

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc
City: Johannesburg

Post by Roadhawg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Yeah they just changed the way the filter clamps into the airbox.

I installed the 2015 bits into my 2014 box but I still run the Unifilter as well.

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks.

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:59 am

Can someone link me to the CJ Design Powercell discount thread on ADVrider? I've asked them twice, but they just keep saying "it's in vendors". I've searched on 1190, CJ, CJ Design, Powercell and I'm tired of searching....is this a Snipe hunt? :roll:

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc
City: Kenthurst
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 am

If you want piece of mind, just use the Unifilter complete kit.
They only cost $70 for the lot.
You might loose a couple horsepower but I think its worth it in the long run.
I do mostly dirt and gravel roads and its the only way to go.
I use the snorkel pre filters as well, they are easy to change out for a clean set and your main filters and airbox will remain spotless.
Ive seen a few posts about split pre filters but I believe that is a very isolated event and most likely caused by someone cleaning with a solvent.
I have been using their prefilters for years, 950's, 990's, even the GS's (they are the same for BMW GS's) and they have always been perfect and kept the main filters and airbox spotless.

They really amount to the the cheapest and easiest maintenance setup out there.

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:14 am

1coolbanana wrote:If you want piece of mind, just use the Unifilter complete kit.
They only cost $70 for the lot.
You might loose a couple horsepower but I think its worth it in the long run.
I do mostly dirt and gravel roads and its the only way to go.
I use the snorkel pre filters as well, they are easy to change out for a clean set and your main filters and airbox will remain spotless.
Ive seen a few posts about split pre filters but I believe that is a very isolated event and most likely caused by someone cleaning with a solvent.
I have been using their prefilters for years, 950's, 990's, even the GS's (they are the same for BMW GS's) and they have always been perfect and kept the main filters and airbox spotless.

They really amount to the the cheapest and easiest maintenance setup out there.
Thanks. I think that makes more sense. I was having a really hard time justifying $300 for 2 foam filters and 2 pieces of aluminum. :D

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:16 am

I fitted the uni, then went for the Powercell purely for piece of mind as it totally seals the intakes from the airbox weaknesses, i also didn't like the power restriction the uni gave especially with the intake socks so i just run the KTM PP intake covers over the bug catchers.

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:17 am

For me, riding as much dirt as I do, I dont have to remove the tank except for major work when using the prefilters. I do anyway though but only due to my OCD :)
The filter sock/pre-filter can be changed out of the snorkel quickly every few thousand k's if needed.
While main filter and box is still pristine,
I think its worth a couple horsepower to not have to take the tank and airbox apart as often, or at least to me it is anyway.

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:14 am

Personally, Im not a fan of the Powersell system for two reasons. (Three if you include cost)
I prefer to stop the dirt entering the airbox at all which the complete unifilter setup does well.

The second issue is that the stacks have been modified to such an extreme amount that it will affect tuning much more dramatically than just adding the Unifilter ever could.

As we see from many of Kevs tune mods on the 990's using short and long stacks, generally something like 15 - 20mm causes major changes that should to be retuned.

Somewhere back in this forum I posted that I machined a 15mm longer rear stack that I was using on my 990 Adventure which gave a distinct improvement in bottom torque but took away from the top end kick.

The Powercell pods removes what, 50-60mm from the stack height, maybe even more by the looks?
Thats huge, would cause a very definite change in engine tune and behavior and IMHO really should be remapped to suit.

Ive never seen a dyno or AFR's published by Powercell but would be interesting to see if anyone has that data.

Would love to hear from Kev on this one :-)

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 am

1coolbanana wrote:Personally, Im not a fan of the Powersell system for two reasons. (Three if you include cost)
I prefer to stop the dirt entering the airbox at all which the complete unifilter setup does well.

The second issue is that the stacks have been modified to such an extreme amount that it will affect tuning much more dramatically than just adding the Unifilter ever could.

As we see from many of Kevs tune mods on the 990's using short and long stacks, generally something like 15 - 20mm causes major changes that should to be retuned.

Somewhere back in this forum I posted that I machined a 15mm longer rear stack that I was using on my 990 Adventure which gave a distinct improvement in bottom torque but took away from the top end kick.

The Powercell pods removes what, 50-60mm from the stack height, maybe even more by the looks?
Thats huge, would cause a very definite change in engine tune and behavior and IMHO really should be remapped to suit.

Ive never seen a dyno or AFR's published by Powercell but would be interesting to see if anyone has that data.

Would love to hear from Kev on this one :-)
I dunno, i guess you could ask the hundreds of guys on the advrider forum that have all fitted the Powercell if they've had issues with fuelling, i see no point in myself going into anymore detail here when its all been covered on the adv forum many times over and to be honest deep discussions bore me :lol: it's personal choice at the end of the day.
The stack itself isnt the final height, you also have the pod collar that secures onto the stack taking the height up again.

Taken form the below page -
Ken will likely chime in but I'm almost positive he said no need for a remap in another thread due to how much adjustment the 1190 can make to the mixture. Something like 20%, the 990's can't do that so they require a remap. I'm just repeating what I remember reading so wait for Ken's response to be sure.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1 ... 877/page-2

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:22 pm

JJay51 wrote:I fitted the uni, then went for the Powercell purely for piece of mind as it totally seals the intakes from the airbox weaknesses, i also didn't like the power restriction the uni gave especially with the intake socks so i just run the KTM PP intake covers over the bug catchers.
I was under the impression that the Uni's airbox cover foam gasket corrected the real design issue which would correct the problem, no?

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:43 pm

av8r wrote:
JJay51 wrote:I fitted the uni, then went for the Powercell purely for piece of mind as it totally seals the intakes from the airbox weaknesses, i also didn't like the power restriction the uni gave especially with the intake socks so i just run the KTM PP intake covers over the bug catchers.
I was under the impression that the Uni's airbox cover foam gasket corrected the real design issue which would correct the problem, no?
It was also thought that the main filter element didn't seal properly on the bracket edge, i even had doubts about the unifilter sealing, not through the filter itself but the bracket thats part of the airbox, i retained the uni lid gasket on mine.

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:11 am

JJay51 wrote:
av8r wrote:
It was also thought that the main filter element didn't seal properly on the bracket edge, i even had doubts about the unifilter sealing, not through the filter itself but the bracket thats part of the airbox, i retained the uni lid gasket on mine.
So by saying you retained it, you're saying you used it?

thank you

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:20 am

Yes i left the lid gasket on

av8r
125cc
125cc

Post by av8r » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:57 am

JJay51 wrote:Yes i left the lid gasket on
Thanks.

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc

Post by Roadhawg » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:39 pm

The 2015 parts are tight as a (choose your own dodgy simile here)

It's a 2 piece clamp around the filter and then you have to really lean on it to slide it down into the box. I don't see it leaking.

Shireguy
50cc
50cc
City: Sydney
Colour: Silver

Post by Shireguy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 am

Guys
Have tried a number of set ups and the Rotweiler air box and filter is the best. Makes more horse power, filters well and fits beautifully. I installed the shorter velocity stack with the new filter and love it. It does make an induction roar under hard acceleration but it's a bonus for me as I love that sound! :lol:

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc

Post by Roadhawg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 am

Shireguy wrote:Guys
Have tried a number of set ups and the Rotweiler air box and filter is the best. Makes more horse power, filters well and fits beautifully. I installed the shorter velocity stack with the new filter and love it. It does make an induction roar under hard acceleration but it's a bonus for me as I love that sound! :lol:

Yeh but for the guys in South Africa the price is insane. Before shipping and tax even.

Shireguy
50cc
50cc
City: Sydney
Colour: Silver

Post by Shireguy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 am

Yes they are not cheap, but what is your engine worth? Don't know what your paying but less than $600 landed here with filter, air box and tuned velocity stack. Better filtration and they also have pre filters available for dusty rides and more horse power to boot. Is that too expensive or do you guys pay more?