pjhextall
50cc
50cc
City: Hammond
Year: 2014
Model: Adventure

Re: Airbox issue

Post by pjhextall » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 am

I went with air box mods. I drilled a total of eight 3/4" holes in the front of the stock air box between the snorkels, installed the Rottweiler short rear stack, and installed a K&N filter.
The attached dyno charts show improvement across the board.
Bike is definitely smoother below 3000rpm, I have not really noticed any high performance difference but I never really get on it.
Blue line is Rottweiler "ADV-1190-2014-IN-PCV-(CP)" map
Red line is after local dyno tune. 93 octane 10% ethanol fuel, sea level, 65 deg F.
Here is the map if anyone wants to try it. http://hextall.com/Phillip%20Hextall_Tuned.pvm

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Sweetwater » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Roadhawg wrote:The 2015 parts are tight as a (choose your own dodgy simile here)

It's a 2 piece clamp around the filter and then you have to really lean on it to slide it down into the box. I don't see it leaking.
The airbox is redesigned vs the '13/'14 airbox. After speaking with a regional KTM tech rep, they are retrofitting the new box on older bikes. The design of the older box delivered dusty air in a way that caused filter failure. They've seen failure with all filter systems including the UNI according to him. It's a $41 part in the USA and I've seen several bikes with it replaced. Have a leakdown test first, if you're dusted, get a top end rebuild from KTM. FUBAR applies to what they did, KTM isn't for everyone. I hear the new African Twin has it's own set of issues.....

nick280
675cc
675cc
City: Cumbria
Year: 2017

Post by nick280 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:33 pm

I've fit the latest design airbox to my 1190 adventure and after 12000 miles, it's still clean as a whistle inside. I have the power parts filter too. Fair does I don't do dusty off roading and as I normally lead the pack, I don't get dust kicked up at the front of my bike but regardless of this, it works for me 8-)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - 2017 - Orange/White :P
KTM 350 EXC-F - 2015 - Orange/White :twisted:
KTM 1190 Adventure - 2014 - Orange - Sold
Honda VFR1200X-C - 2013 - White - Sold
KTM 990 SMT - 2009 - Orange - Sold
KTM 660 SMC - 2003 - Orange - Sold

kten
125cc
125cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2015
Colour: Silver

Post by kten » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 am

Sweetwater wrote:
Roadhawg wrote:The 2015 parts are tight as a (choose your own dodgy simile here)

It's a 2 piece clamp around the filter and then you have to really lean on it to slide it down into the box. I don't see it leaking.
The airbox is redesigned vs the '13/'14 airbox. After speaking with a regional KTM tech rep, they are retrofitting the new box on older bikes. The design of the older box delivered dusty air in a way that caused filter failure. They've seen failure with all filter systems including the UNI according to him. It's a $41 part in the USA and I've seen several bikes with it replaced. Have a leakdown test first, if you're dusted, get a top end rebuild from KTM. FUBAR applies to what they did, KTM isn't for everyone. I hear the new African Twin has it's own set of issues.....
Regional KTM 'tech' rep is full of it. The new airbox leaks too, same place as the old one. The lid doesn't seal properly on a lot of them so no matter how tight you have the filter with its new wedge brace in there it isn't filtering. Please have a look on advrider then make up your mind but imo if you ride off road in dust you need at least the unifilter lid foam..or you can move to england where the rain keeps all the dust at bay :lol:

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City
Year: 2010

Post by Sweetwater » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:31 pm

kten wrote:
Sweetwater wrote:

Regional KTM 'tech' rep is full of it. The new airbox leaks too, same place as the old one. The lid doesn't seal properly on a lot of them so no matter how tight you have the filter with its new wedge brace in there it isn't filtering. Please have a look on advrider then make up your mind but imo if you ride off road in dust you need at least the unifilter lid foam..or you can move to england where the rain keeps all the dust at bay :lol:
You're welcome to believe whatever, I'll listen to someone with much more experience on thousands of bikes. The newly designed box does not leak like the '13/'14 version, I had a '14R and placed the UNI so I know the differences personally. When I placed my K&N filter, I greased the tongue and groove base, placed the lid on it and checked it for leakage. It did not leak. Or spend your money on solutions to a problem that no longer exists on the newer bikes. It's not about just the seal of the filter nor the seal of the lid on the box. The box has been redesigned so it doesn't break down whatever filter is used with the ram air induction. Of course, UNI and Rottweiler would like this to be continued, it's their job security. I'll check my airbox again as part of my regular inspections and I'll post a photo of it's condition. Maybe you'll do the same?

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc
City: Kenthurst

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:29 am

Thats hilarious, ha ha, good luck :lol:

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White

Post by JJay51 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:00 pm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/l ... n.1159519/

The airbox design is still shit end of, either go Unifilter, powercell or rottweiler

tmark1301cc
125cc
125cc
City: Glen Ellyn
Year: 2017
Colour: White

Post by tmark1301cc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Anyone with a 2016 1290SA have any feedback on whether preventative measures are necessary or warranted on a new bike?

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc
City: Kenthurst

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 am

Nothings changed, same as before.
Needs Uni at minimum or Powercell or Rotty.