Little bit of teething, but nothin major.

Hellboi
675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Little bit of teething, but nothin major.

Post by Hellboi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:26 pm

The problems so far, 1) Hot seat! man it really cooks, but still tolerable this time of year, and a rotti intake as well as a creamic coating on the headers seems to be the fix. 2) cold start, weak starter. First I got one that must have been in storage for a bit, they swapped my battery and thicker cable under warranty as well as blasted the ECU with a different map to advance the spark on startup. Seemes to work OK, but still want the 1290 starter for super quick starts comparatively. 3) crappy headlamp, the high beam was virtually useless. Swapped out the bulbs with LED bulbs and resistors to trick the Can bus system, now I am roaming sunlight with no need for aux lighting. 4) got a fuel smell on hot days. Still looking into this one. My Japan model does not have a fuel canister like some other countries and all the vent hoses look good so just gotta figure it down a bit more.
That's about it, minor things and nothing that would stop me from riding. Planning on doing a 10 day tour in April, Covering all of mid to southern Japan and a few islands, all camping, no luxury and stink ass man beer bikes and boobies adventure. Reports will be up when it is done. :)
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Model: Adventure

Re: Little bit of teething, but nothin major.

Post by JJay51 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Look forward to the ride report :D

The fuel smell is also known to one or two other people on Advrider forum.

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011

Post by Muppet » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Definitely looking forward to the ride report.

Pics, lots of pics please. :ugeek:
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Here is the ride plan so far, No major highways except when there is no other option, almost all of it is twisties, mountains or dirt. (And ferry boats when needed) each day is a different color.

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011

Post by Muppet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:55 am

Now that looks like a proper tour. I know a few of those areas/roads, and I'm very very jealous. How do you get on with the ridiculously low speed limits though? I've only driven a rental car over there and just stayed with the traffic flow, and everyone seems to just stick to the limits. I've not noticed any speed cameras as such, do you have to be careful?
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 am

Speed limits? what are those? HAHAHHa well there are cameras all over Japan, but they only snap from the front so with a helmet and no front plate, bikers can blast through em at triple the speed with no worry. There are sometimes speed traps, but mostly in the same areas, there is a website that lets you report the speed traps and download the file as POI alerts for the Navi. The biggest threat are the Shirobai (white bike police) these guys are some of the most highly skilled trained riders in the world and you will not get away. Also there are sneaky unmarked cars on the highways but cars get stuck in traffic so with a bike you just keep going. :) most the time they won't even bother giving chase.

theborv
50cc
50cc
City: Bergen
Year: 2015
Colour: Silver

Post by theborv » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am

1) Hot seat! man it really cooks, but still tolerable this time of year, and a rotti intake as well as a creamic coating on the headers seems to be the fix.
Yup. Check Wings Heat shield https://www.youtube.com/v/fwlbaqZAcks?h ... &version=3

2) cold start, weak starter. First I got one that must have been in storage for a bit, they swapped my battery and thicker cable under warranty as well as blasted the ECU with a different map to advance the spark on startup. Seemes to work OK, but still want the 1290 starter for super quick starts comparatively.
Yup. Swap the sm17 starter with the bigger sm13. I am having mine replaced under warranty next week.

3) crappy headlamp, the high beam was virtually useless. Swapped out the bulbs with LED bulbs and resistors to trick the Can bus system, now I am roaming sunlight with no need for aux lighting.
Cool :)

4) got a fuel smell on hot days. Still looking into this one. My Japan model does not have a fuel canister like some other countries and all the vent hoses look good so just gotta figure it down a bit more.
Yup. I am getting some anti-heat pads stuck on the tank. Warranty work. I doubt it will fix it. I think the fix is to have two seperate fuel spill rubber hoses coming out from the tank lid area instead of one with the Y shape.

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014

Post by JJay51 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:05 pm

theborv wrote:1) Hot seat! man it really cooks, but still tolerable this time of year, and a rotti intake as well as a creamic coating on the headers seems to be the fix.
Yup. Check Wings Heat shield https://www.youtube.com/v/fwlbaqZAcks?h ... &version=3

2) cold start, weak starter. First I got one that must have been in storage for a bit, they swapped my battery and thicker cable under warranty as well as blasted the ECU with a different map to advance the spark on startup. Seemes to work OK, but still want the 1290 starter for super quick starts comparatively.
Yup. Swap the sm17 starter with the bigger sm13. I am having mine replaced under warranty next week.

3) crappy headlamp, the high beam was virtually useless. Swapped out the bulbs with LED bulbs and resistors to trick the Can bus system, now I am roaming sunlight with no need for aux lighting.
Cool :)

4) got a fuel smell on hot days. Still looking into this one. My Japan model does not have a fuel canister like some other countries and all the vent hoses look good so just gotta figure it down a bit more.
Yup. I am getting some anti-heat pads stuck on the tank. Warranty work. I doubt it will fix it. I think the fix is to have two seperate fuel spill rubber hoses coming out from the tank lid area instead of one with the Y shape.
I recently had my starter changed under warranty, much better.

I've also changed the fuel tank vent to two hoses instead of one so i'll see how much difference that makes in hot weather