STU
250cc
250cc
City: Exeter
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Would you change a SMT fo a 1090 Adventure

Post by STU » Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi I’m thinking of changing my 2010 Smt for a 1090 Adventure, I like a bit of 2up touring but also having fun on the twisty bits around Dartmoor. The smt will tour I’ve done a 2up trip to Bruges and a solo to Austria but you know you’ve done the miles.
Also at 8 years old I think the price will fall quite a bit soon, luckily they are awesome and still in demand.
So would it be an mistake or is it time to move on?
What are your thoughts on it.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Would you change a SMT fo a 1090 Adventure

Post by Gimlet » Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 am

In your situation, yes. I had an SMT. Loved it dearly but it wasn't really my idea of touring bike. I bought it as a budget touring/adventure bike but really its a big supermoto with a better seat and slightly better tank range. Mine was fully uncorked as well, pipes, airbox, remap etc etc. As a back road thrasher it was sublime but it lacked the roominess and comfort for touring, the engine felt busy and adjusting the suspension for extra load was a pain. And I was only touring solo. Sold it with a heavy heart and bought an 1190, but it was the best thing I could have done. It's perfect for touring and back road blasting. Its got much more shove and the electrically adjustable suspension is a boon. I have nothing but good memories of the SMT (and I may buy a 990 SMR as a toy one day, if there's any left) but as an all-rounder the 1190 wins and its of the best bikes I've ever owned.

If it wasn't for the touring bit I'd say keep the SMT. Once set up properly they are a really sharp and focused bike. More so than an 1190 or 1090, even though they have less power and grunt. But if you want to cover distance fully loaded the bigger bikes are streets ahead and either will still be a highly effect road tool when the luggage comes off. If you regularly ride off-road then the 1090 would be the one to go for. Its a fine road bike too and its simpler than the latest big adventures which are overloaded wit fancy electronics. It will feel familiar after the SMT but with more grunt. But don't rule out the 1190 as well. For thrashing around on tarmac a good used one is a bargain. Its more muscular than the 1090 and a lot more than the SMT and it has handling that will hustle many a sports bike.