manxzulu
250cc
250cc
City: South Shields
Year: 2011
Colour: White

SMT gone - New Super Adventure

Post by manxzulu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Swapped my 5 year old SMT for a new Super Adventure at the weekend. It's been snowing ever since (sorry) but managed a 160 miles on Saturday morning round Kielder Forest and Carter Bar. Even when running in managed to keep up with my (fast) mate on his GSA.
The Lakes planned for early May then after its first service I have 11 days at the TT early June and Spa the first weekend in July.
Annual trip to Scotland will be Tobermory on Mull for a long weekend and probably Applecross before heading home.
Wishing my life away already. "That can't be good!"

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Model: Adventure

Re: SMT gone - New Super Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Enjoy the new bike, i know what ymean about wishing your life away, when i return from tour in August im already planning and counting down the weeks to the next years run :D

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Post by xaotikos » Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Ah you all guys sell the smt for a new toy and then it will become collector's bike. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Στάλθηκε από το ASUS_Z00AD μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

manxzulu
250cc
250cc

Post by manxzulu » Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am

Hey. You could be right about it being a classic. However most classics start to leak oil and break down when your out so very happy with my New Future Classic!

manxzulu
250cc
250cc

Post by manxzulu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 am

Back from the TT and had a great week with good weather and brilliant racing. The problem is it was spoiled when trying to get some runs over the mountain. Left my GF at my Mothers house ( I am lucky enough to be from the IoM and have family to stay with), took the luggage off, set my bike up in sport for a solo rider and off I went. When I eventually managed to get on the one way section on the mountain (it was closed a lot) I was quite shocked at the speed wobble from about 110 - 120 mph. It was so bad that I had to slow down to keep the bike out of the fields. Very shocked to find out that my 160 bhp bike is not capable of being ridden above 100 mph.
This is not normally a problem for me as on UK roads, who, ever does more than 90 mph very often (Honest, guv) but when I go to Eurpoe and the IoM I want to be able to use the potential of the bike.
I saw a thread about this saying it is the Conti tyres to blame but is that really the case?
Any body else had these problems?

Marki
500cc
500cc
City: Edinburgh
Year: 2015

Re: RE: Re: SMT gone - New Super Adventure

Post by Marki » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:19 am

manxzulu wrote:Back from the TT and had a great week with good weather and brilliant racing. The problem is it was spoiled when trying to get some runs over the mountain. Left my GF at my Mothers house ( I am lucky enough to be from the IoM and have family to stay with), took the luggage off, set my bike up in sport for a solo rider and off I went. When I eventually managed to get on the one way section on the mountain (it was closed a lot) I was quite shocked at the speed wobble from about 110 - 120 mph. It was so bad that I had to slow down to keep the bike out of the fields. Very shocked to find out that my 160 bhp bike is not capable of being ridden above 100 mph.
This is not normally a problem for me as on UK roads, who, ever does more than 90 mph very often (Honest, guv) but when I go to Eurpoe and the IoM I want to be able to use the potential of the bike.
I saw a thread about this saying it is the Conti tyres to blame but is that really the case?
Any body else had these problems?
Lots of different things can cause this from your size and the fit of the clothes you wear, what side cased or top box you have as well as what your tyre pressures are at and condition of tyres. There could of course be something wrong with the bike as well. For the record I have hit 150 on mine indicated and it just had the slightest hint of a weave. It was rock steady at 120 so it isn't an inherent problem with the SA.

manxzulu
250cc
250cc

Post by manxzulu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:37 am

80 Kg, 1.75m tall, no luggage, tyres at reccomended pressures. Sunny and dry roads, bike only done 1500 miles and had first service, I was wearing Dainese textile jacket and trousers, which are snug fitting so no flappng in the wind. Been riding bikes for over 40 years and never experienced anything as bad before.
I am also an engineer with a good understanding of mechanical systems and aerodynamics.
Whilst i appreciate your comments, I would like an answer from KTM as the manufacturer.
If there is something wrong with the bike it needs to be fixed. If it cant be fixed I will be looking at a BMW GSA, which all my mates ride without any stability problems.
I went for the KTM because of the extra performance but its no good if I cant use it!!!!!

tmark1301cc
125cc
125cc
City: Glen Ellyn
Year: 2017

Re: RE: Re: SMT gone - New Super Adventure

Post by tmark1301cc » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 pm

manxzulu wrote:80 Kg, 1.75m tall, no luggage, tyres at reccomended pressures. Sunny and dry roads, bike only done 1500 miles and had first service, I was wearing Dainese textile jacket and trousers, which are snug fitting so no flappng in the wind. Been riding bikes for over 40 years and never experienced anything as bad before.
I am also an engineer with a good understanding of mechanical systems and aerodynamics.
Whilst i appreciate your comments, I would like an answer from KTM as the manufacturer.
If there is something wrong with the bike it needs to be fixed. If it cant be fixed I will be looking at a BMW GSA, which all my mates ride without any stability problems.
I went for the KTM because of the extra performance but its no good if I cant use it!!!!!
Anything further on this?

Sent from Tod's Note 4

manxzulu
250cc
250cc

Post by manxzulu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 am

KTM asked the dealer to check certain things and report back to them, which they did. The dealer agreed that it was unstable above 120 mph and potentially dangerous.
The dealer suggested that using Michellin PR4 Trail tyres have helped other customer so I put them on and found it made a great difference.
KTM have not bothered responding to my e-mails since the bike was in the dealer so I have given up with them now.
I am visiting the London Bike Show in a couple of weeks so if there is anybody from KTM to talk to I will let them know my thoughts.