pinifarina
500cc
500cc
City: Braga
Year: 2011

Adv 1190 vs Adv 1190 R performance on the road

Post by pinifarina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:50 am

Hi guys.

I'm thinking to buy an 1190 Adv (std or R) and need some advice to make my choice.

I'm not an off-road guy and the few durt roads i do, the std adv would be just fine.
My most rides usualy are 300 or 400 kms through mountain roads and i love to have fun making sporty driving on the curvy roads (SMT owner afterall :))
Once in a while, i make abroad tours, fully loaded with traveling stuff.

This argument would be just fine to go with the std model, but the thing is i find the R model much more beautifull and robust.

So, excludind the obvious differences (21" front wheel and a bit higher), i really would like to know if there is any differences on the road.

So, lets say both models got the same tires.
The question is: Does the R model actually loses perceptible performance capabilities (fun sporty driving on curvy roads with hard speeding, fast turning, hard braking, etc) on the road to the std model?

What do you think guys?
The differences on the road are huge and i must go for the std model, or i will not feel any perfomance differences and i can go for the R model?

All impressions and opinions would be most appreciated as i'm absolutely lost :)

Thanks!

thebiglad
125cc
125cc
City: La Cellette
Year: 2013
Model: Adventure

Re: Adv 1190 vs Adv 1190 R performance on the road

Post by thebiglad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 am

You need to go for the 1190 Adventure in my opinion.

My usage is similar to yours in that I don't do real hard off-road stuff. Gravel tracks yes, muddy trails no.

The 1190 Adv. comes as std. with Electronic suspension which I find very useful as you can adjust the damping and pre-load, at the touch of a button.

Obviously it comes with a 19 inch front and road tyres.

Extras:

If you plan to be out on your bike for longer than 1 hour at a time, I would strongly advise you buy the KTM ERGO rider seat - it's much more comfortable and only costs 170€

Also,there is a well-known fault with the 1190 range of bikes in the air box. To cure the fault you need a UNI filter, I bought mine from here :

http://shop.touratech.fr/unifilter-de-g ... ure-r.html

If you like the look of the smaller 1190 R screen, it is available to buy separately for 60€

Buy the 1190 Adventure std. and enjoy your roads like never before - it is an excellent sport motorcycle.

Dave
2013 1190 Adventure - Burnished copper !!

De-AI'd, soon to be De-o² sensors and remove cat. Plus new air filter set-up.

pinifarina
500cc
500cc

Post by pinifarina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:56 am

thebiglad wrote:You need to go for the 1190 Adventure in my opinion.

My usage is similar to yours in that I don't do real hard off-road stuff. Gravel tracks yes, muddy trails no.

The 1190 Adv. comes as std. with Electronic suspension which I find very useful as you can adjust the damping and pre-load, at the touch of a button.

Obviously it comes with a 19 inch front and road tyres.

Extras:

If you plan to be out on your bike for longer than 1 hour at a time, I would strongly advise you buy the KTM ERGO rider seat - it's much more comfortable and only costs 170€

Also,there is a well-known fault with the 1190 range of bikes in the air box. To cure the fault you need a UNI filter, I bought mine from here :

http://shop.touratech.fr/unifilter-de-g ... ure-r.html

If you like the look of the smaller 1190 R screen, it is available to buy separately for 60€

Buy the 1190 Adventure std. and enjoy your roads like never before - it is an excellent sport motorcycle.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

Great tips ;)

Can i adjust on the go both front and rear damping?

thebiglad
125cc
125cc
City: La Cellette
Year: 2013

Post by thebiglad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 am

pinifarina wrote:
Thanks Dave!

Great tips ;)

Yes you can, but it's important to understand that on a std. suspension you do each component individually ie front forks first then rear shock for both damping AND pre-load. You do the adjustments physically at each unit by adjusting the clicks on the damping adjuster.

On an EDS equipped bike you are riding along and fancy changing the damping, you press the button and a menu comes up and offers : sport or street or comfort - you make your selection and both front and back are adjusted simultaneously WHILST YOU CONTINUE RIDING.

Pre-load on the suspension also works at the touch of a button - this must be done with the engine running but at standstill. You have the following choices : solo rider; solo rider with luggage; two up; two up with luggage.

It's important understand that these are just labels, so don't take them too literally. I myself am of the 'larger variety' of motorcycle rider and I alter these settings as my mood takes me. Sometimes I'll use the solo setting, other times any one of the other available settings. And I do this not just because I have luggage on the bike or not - sometimes I just fancy having a 'stiffer' bike to ride.

To me the best thing of all about the 1190 Adventure std. is that it can be, to quite a large extent, whatever bike you want it to be, at any given moment.

I also adjust rider modes continuously because I want to feel the different responsiveness of the throttle -going from electronic quick in Sport mode, to super smooth and gentle in Rain mode.

Hope that helps, you won't go wrong with either bike you just have to take the plunge, buy,then ride and ride some more.

The 1190 Adv std.is an awesome sports, corner carving bike.

Dave
2013 1190 Adventure - Burnished copper !!

De-AI'd, soon to be De-o² sensors and remove cat. Plus new air filter set-up.

pinifarina
500cc
500cc

Post by pinifarina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 am

thebiglad wrote:
pinifarina wrote:
Thanks Dave!

Great tips ;)

Yes you can, but it's important to understand that on a std. suspension you do each component individually ie front forks first then rear shock for both damping AND pre-load. You do the adjustments physically at each unit by adjusting the clicks on the damping adjuster.

On an EDS equipped bike you are riding along and fancy changing the damping, you press the button and a menu comes up and offers : sport or street or comfort - you make your selection and both front and back are adjusted simultaneously WHILST YOU CONTINUE RIDING.

Pre-load on the suspension also works at the touch of a button - this must be done with the engine running but at standstill. You have the following choices : solo rider; solo rider with luggage; two up; two up with luggage.

It's important understand that these are just labels, so don't take them too literally. I myself am of the 'larger variety' of motorcycle rider and I alter these settings as my mood takes me. Sometimes I'll use the solo setting, other times any one of the other available settings. And I do this not just because I have luggage on the bike or not - sometimes I just fancy having a 'stiffer' bike to ride.

To me the best thing of all about the 1190 Adventure std. is that it can be, to quite a large extent, whatever bike you want it to be, at any given moment.

I also adjust rider modes continuously because I want to feel the different responsiveness of the throttle -going from electronic quick in Sport mode, to super smooth and gentle in Rain mode.

Hope that helps, you won't go wrong with either bike you just have to take the plunge, buy,then ride and ride some more.

The 1190 Adv std.is an awesome sports, corner carving bike.

Dave
Thanks again Dave :)

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White

Post by JJay51 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 pm

I was like you, i was all set to chop the smt in for the standard Adv then i saw her, sat there winking at me, all shiny with just 60 miles on the clock, i had to have her there and then, deal done.

Never looked back, i ride fast with pillion, maybe even faster than i was on the smt as the standard conti trail attacks are fantastic road tyres even in the 21" dirt size, did a two week tour back in July/August fully loaded with luggage and pillion, bike just pulled and pulled max fun all the way :mrgreen:

For small amounts of off road he standard will do fine but the R has more presence and its a big high beast :D

There was a thread over on advrider that had good pics though of the standard all dirt tyred up with bashplate etc and actually looked quite good, i'll find the pic and post it here for you

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:01 pm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/k ... 9/page-108

You could always do what another guy has done further down that page and put R bodywork on the standard :D

pinifarina
500cc
500cc

Post by pinifarina » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 pm

JJay51 wrote:http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/k ... 9/page-108

You could always do what another guy has done further down that page and put R bodywork on the standard :D
Nice JJay51!
I'll definitely give it a look.

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Sweetwater » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I'm going to kick this thread for a new "Black Friday" Adventure Standard. My background is that I had a 2010 SMT which I thoroughly enjoyed. I swapped it out for a 2014 Adventure R which I enjoyed but missed the turn in handling and snappiness of the SMT. I did manage a beneficial sale of that R and hooked back up with a 2012 SMT. Once again, thoroughly liking that bike for it's handling and snappiness. The R is much taller and has a modified rake which does not handle as well with those 21/18" wheels. After another year, as fate would have it, I got the opportunity to trade the SMT for a tidy sum against the 2015 Adventure Standard which has similar wheel sizes and all those suspension adjustment farkles. The bike behaves like the big brother to the SMT which it is. Snappy response, great handling and better load options. I'm a bigger guy and with luggage, the SMT seemed a bit loaded, not so much the AdvS. And many luggage options available for the AdvS as well. We hope to see the upper 40F range this week so I'll be putting on some breakin miles along with the smiles. Cheers.

pinifarina
500cc
500cc

Post by pinifarina » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Sweetwater wrote:I'm going to kick this thread for a new "Black Friday" Adventure Standard. My background is that I had a 2010 SMT which I thoroughly enjoyed. I swapped it out for a 2014 Adventure R which I enjoyed but missed the turn in handling and snappiness of the SMT. I did manage a beneficial sale of that R and hooked back up with a 2012 SMT. Once again, thoroughly liking that bike for it's handling and snappiness. The R is much taller and has a modified rake which does not handle as well with those 21/18" wheels. After another year, as fate would have it, I got the opportunity to trade the SMT for a tidy sum against the 2015 Adventure Standard which has similar wheel sizes and all those suspension adjustment farkles. The bike behaves like the big brother to the SMT which it is. Snappy response, great handling and better load options. I'm a bigger guy and with luggage, the SMT seemed a bit loaded, not so much the AdvS. And many luggage options available for the AdvS as well. We hope to see the upper 40F range this week so I'll be putting on some breakin miles along with the smiles. Cheers.
Nice feedback Sweetwater!
Do you see the Adv as a natural replace of the SMT? Or at least, can it manage to be a good replacement?

Cheers.

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Sweetwater » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 pm

pinifarina wrote:
Sweetwater wrote:I'm going to kick this thread for a new "Black Friday" Adventure Standard. My background is that I had a 2010 SMT which I thoroughly enjoyed. I swapped it out for a 2014 Adventure R which I enjoyed but missed the turn in handling and snappiness of the SMT. I did manage a beneficial sale of that R and hooked back up with a 2012 SMT. Once again, thoroughly liking that bike for it's handling and snappiness. The R is much taller and has a modified rake which does not handle as well with those 21/18" wheels. After another year, as fate would have it, I got the opportunity to trade the SMT for a tidy sum against the 2015 Adventure Standard which has similar wheel sizes and all those suspension adjustment farkles. The bike behaves like the big brother to the SMT which it is. Snappy response, great handling and better load options. I'm a bigger guy and with luggage, the SMT seemed a bit loaded, not so much the AdvS. And many luggage options available for the AdvS as well. We hope to see the upper 40F range this week so I'll be putting on some breakin miles along with the smiles. Cheers.
Nice feedback Sweetwater!
Do you see the Adv as a natural replace of the SMT? Or at least, can it manage to be a good replacement?

Cheers.
Well, for me, the 1190 standard is a great replacement. I think you can see the evolution of the SMT to the 1190 standard easily when they are side by side. And the features of the 1190 give it a bit of advantage over the SMT in many respects. The 1190R is much more of a 990 Adventure replacement with it's rake and wheel sizing. Until there is a used market for the 1190 standard, a 990 SMT is still an excellent bike to ride and enjoy. I know I'll miss mine, again.

ttraynor
125cc
125cc
City: grand Rapids

Post by ttraynor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Just traded an SMT and Adventure 990--both farkled up with Rottweiler...Akra...Wings...and bought the Adv 1190 STD. This is AFTER demo-ing a Suoerduke GT.

Guess what? This is the best all-round bike I ever owned. Did I mentioned I also owned a SDR 1290; a Superduke 990; a Superduke SMR; a Superduke R 990 and an Aprillia Tuono 1000?

A broken neck this winter made the SD GT NOT an option--especially two-up. I am especially surprised at the 1190's turning ability. It is the baby the Adv 990 and SMT had and is better than both in nearly all regards--especially as a fun mileage maker with considerable two-up riding.

I'll be adding the Rotty box to alleviate the Achilles heel airbox--along with Wings shorty and mapping. I love it--and got it out the door with KTM side cases for $2600 less than the GT which will more than pay for the farkles--and then there insurance savings to boot.

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Enjoy the new ride but dont let some of the die hards on here hear you say the adv is better than the smt, in their world there is nothing but the smt for them :lol: