Introduce yourself : 1050, 1190, 1190R or 1290 for starters
JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Re: newbe intro

Post by JJay51 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm

The 1190 with ktm steering damper does the same at around 130mph (so i'm told) ;)

nlovie
250cc
250cc
City: Huntly
Year: 2009

Post by nlovie » Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm

So I had arrived at spring pre load settings of 9 turns in on the front and 4 turns in rear - to find a balance that reduced the fore / aft pitching on the brakes - but it wobbles at around 90 mph
going back to 5 turns front and back has calmed down the wobble - even tried riding along the white line to induce it - but other than the usual "loose" feel it was fine
What have I learned ?
1) this is not a bike that you'll find a generic set up that works for single / two up - road / offroad, you got to dial in to meet each condition - basically its not a universal Honda :)
2) more confirmation I need to stiffen up the front springs to help on the pitching - but its not so simple as this - I'd expect it to wobble again, so looking like i'll also have to drop the front forks through the yokes to get the ride height and balance compensated

I also vented the forks for good measure - maybe this contributed

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Thu May 28, 2015 4:59 am

I would be looking at adjusting the rear shock settings, this will help the front end.

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Thu May 28, 2015 10:12 am

kevxtx wrote:I would be looking at adjusting the rear shock settings, this will help the front end.
thanks Kevin - raise the rear ride height to put more weight on the front ? - i'll try this next

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am

By doing that you are changing the trail angle & making the front end more twitchy, I would be slowing down the rebound down on the rear shock to stop the front from being twitchy.

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Thu May 28, 2015 6:49 pm

kevxtx wrote:By doing that you are changing the trail angle & making the front end more twitchy, I would be slowing down the rebound down on the rear shock to stop the front from being twitchy.
makes sense - i'm not having any issue with a "twitchy" front end - feels like there's a lot of safety in the set up with respect to this - it was ( as in now sorted) weaving at the 90 mph ish steady speeds - 100% down to the imbalance I had on the front / rear preload settings
Today I tried the std sports settings and reminded myself why this doesn't work for me - do you recall as a kid giving yir mate a wedgie :) - same effect - and it was part to do with this that I ended up on the high front / low back setting
The seat pitches you fwd all the time - my breek's grip to the seat - my arse and nickers don't - hence a wedgie.
I'm begining to sound like a right anarak here :) no worries - I am being super critical this summer because next yr I'll be doing long trips and i've got to find the right set up
its all good info before I start tweaking things in the winter
so in addition to front springs - add - re shape or raise the front of the seat
soon be ready for the 1st oil change - cripes the miles rack up when your having fun

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:56 pm

thats a decent few miles on the conti's - and loving them - very neutral and confident, now got a new fear - left hand corners on country roads - i'm going to get the LH bar end caught in the grass banks :)

And I've got to keep reminding myself when i've got the panniers on - my score card for pinging car mirrors when filtering is growing
Aquired a set of front crash bars - wanted because they look good - in orange - but they are sitting on the bench - actually fitting them is not high on the priority - suspect vanity versus function got the better of me
Otherwise - not a lot new, - i've set the suspension back to normal versus sports setting - it works better - i'm not getting my nicker's pulled up my arse by the seat and the high speed weave is acceptable
Basically I've got the gist of this thing now - stop fiddlin and enjoy riding - until the winter time

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:11 pm

just dropping in with not a lot to add - clocking up the miles, enjoying every one of them - still looking for any excuse to take the KTM out - and that is a sign of a good bike
I stopped tinkering at my last post, just get out there and enjoy it. In doing so, the stall stumble around 5K has all but miraculously disapeared :shock: :) either the ECU has self adapted - or my brain has
Last oil change I went for 10W40 - heat in Scotland this summer has not been an issue :( - anyway i'm going to revert back to a 10W50 - the engine just seems a bit more mechanical with the 10W40 - its minor but something is there
Big lesson!!! - don't annoy folks with smaller KTM enduro's on dodgy damp back roads - they will spank you, had a great tussle with one a few weeks back - he didn't like being passed on a more open A road, when we switched to B type - I had great fun - and found new limits for the 990 - but the bugger in front kept in front

And a few days back - I got my 1st puncture - started off by a new vibration = let the speed wind down and find a place to stop - ok rear puncture - no sillyness occured = good, I got her home with a can of punture repair gloop - but couldn't go above 30 mph due to the vibration :?: - no bloody wonder - the tube wasn't punctured - it was completly fooked, torn in half and all balled up in one spot. I was amazed the gloop kept the tyre up acting as a tubless rim - now this is not a recomendation to run without a tube, but it is good to know it will seal up enough to get you home -- she was telling me something - the rear brake pads were just starting to find metal contact but thats a heck of a way of establishing a brake pad wear warning - hayho - new pads fitted
Right off to enjoy more fun, I really must go and try changing the ECU program - just to try, before she goes off the road for the winter - but - but, if it ain't broke - and it ain't - maybe next yr

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:49 pm

So I took the tube out after my puncture - I hadn't ridden the bike since repairing it - after 2 days tyre was flat :cry:
now I can not find a bubble, a mark, valve - not a leak or even a sign of a nip on the tube - but fitted a replacement anyway - now this one pumped up fine - held pressure for an hour or so - so went to nip up the valve nut and got a bit of a hiss- wiggles the valve and deflated the tyre - OK i've nipped the new tube, but its the way the wheel held pressure like a tubeless rim that was surprising

Lesson ? - inflate the tube until the tyre is beeded, deflate and wiggle the valve stem to get any trapped air between the tyre and the tube vented - reflate tube
the mystery none leaking deflating tube will remain a mystery - must be a tiny perforation that I can't see and it needs pressure for it to open up - strange - never seen this before - the bubble test has always previous found the fault - hayho
3rd tube is good - today :roll: :)

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:03 pm

nlovie wrote:So I took the tube out after my puncture - I hadn't ridden the bike since repairing it - after 2 days tyre was flat :cry:
now I can not find a bubble, a mark, valve - not a leak or even a sign of a nip on the tube - but fitted a replacement anyway - now this one pumped up fine - held pressure for an hour or so - so went to nip up the valve nut and got a bit of a hiss- wiggles the valve and deflated the tyre - OK i've nipped the new tube, but its the way the wheel held pressure like a tubeless rim that was surprising

Lesson ? - inflate the tube until the tyre is beeded, deflate and wiggle the valve stem to get any trapped air between the tyre and the tube vented - reflate tube
the mystery none leaking deflating tube will remain a mystery - must be a tiny perforation that I can't see and it needs pressure for it to open up - strange - never seen this before - the bubble test has always previous found the fault - hayho
3rd tube is good - today :roll: :)
And there was me thinking everyone knew that :mrgreen:

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 pm

3rd tube which is the mystery deflating one now - about 400miles and 5 days - still perfect
however - the mystery is no more - cunning piece of Holmes 8-) -eh no!, more like Clousaeau :oops:

daft twat - I have angled valve extensions - - what did I pump through this thing ? - yip the tyre gloop to get me home - fit extension = flat tyre - don't fit = not flat tyre
hayho happy to be daft when it sorts a niggle

the 400 mile run was also a good result - my good lady - who found the std KTM seat ok for maybe 100 miles - however with the tourtech seat - no worries at all, thats another bit of the long distance tour list sorted

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:21 pm

just a quick note to myself - as this is has become my bike record
oil consumption: after x 2 changes - i'm averaging 0.5litre or less per 5000 miles - I like this 8-) hate a bike that drinks that I also do high miles on - fine on a short run sports bike, but i don't want that niggle for longer journeys - and I don't - another positive for this engine

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:40 pm

just a quick note to say - well nothing really, sprayed the bike with ACF 50 and run the bike over the winter, not something i've done in a long time - but it's been a mild one
The ACF 50 actually does work - very well - its not a snake oil :) - no alloy fur or rusty spokes - only down side is I got some on the discs which turned the brakes into wooden blocks - a good degrease and scrub with wire scrubber, including removing the pads an given them a hot soak n scrub sorted this out
So the Adventure just keeps chugging along racking up the miles - now due its next service = oil valve clearance and air filter
did I previously mention the benefit of a scott oiler ? - ok i'll mention it again ;) ugly mucky thing that's also brilliant - free of charge given it pays for itself in chain life, never mind the hassle free always lubricated chain - it ran dry once, you only realise how nice it is once the chain dries up a bit and you feel a new vibration
anybody have any doubts about the reliability of this bike into high milage, I did - yi got nothing to fear - solid hardworking engine that keeps ticking along - steady mpg, and still next to no oil consumption - did Honda help design it :) joke

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:03 am

a couple of updates are due - a dooh moment and a "nice one" moment
lets get the the dooh cleared 1st :oops: the cap for the RH casing that enables access to the crank end - shit, it looked like i'd crossed the thread, closer inspection = it looked like the thread was full of some thread lock - ok apply a bit of heat to help clean it ? - DO NOT DO THIS! - its bloody made of plastic :lol: - no worries the minor bit of distortion I caused gave the thread enough bite to enable it to torque up

The nice moment ? - see this Tune ECU thing, isn't it great 8-) - had a great run yesterday on a different bike, I can now open the throttle as and when and where I like - without always sensing for the bulk to occur, especially around the 5K mark - now it just pulls cleanly any time any place
There's also a stronger more linear torque, especially lower down, combo of both aspects = halved the necessary gear changes - TBH I think i'm going to go up on a tooth at the front, it doesn't need the lowered gearing anymore to aid low speed smooth delivery - - seems to me all the above is mainly switching closed loop off i.e. caused by the transition from closed to open managment - whatever - it works - it works very nicely and i'm loving it
oh! and I do like the added orals from the open airfilter 8-)

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Sounds like your getting it dialled in proper now

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sat May 07, 2016 8:10 pm

well my brain loved it but my wallet didn't - cripes it drinks petrol
so i've re installed the decibel reducers knocked the acro map back 2% on the F and L tables and i've stuck the 2nd butterflies back in - must stop changing two things at the same time
TBH its annoyingly boomy without the reducers
1st run today, still got the nice throttle response ( i'm presuming the previous wonky response was due to the closed loop switching to open loop) - it does seem to have lost a tad of that "honest it doesn't have carb's but its hard to believe" feel that the initial akro map without 2ndry's gave, maybe its just me
anyway i'll run a few tanks worth and see if i'm finding a happy middle ground - not hearing or feeling anything that suggests i'm on the lean side - suggestive I know, without seeing the AFR - but go find a dyno shop up my way with someone who actually knows what their doing other than "increase the boost mate" :)
If this improves the consumption - maybe i'll fit a wide band gauge - got to use the lambda sensor boss for something, in the real world I spend a lot of time riding steady state in a pritty narrow throttle / RPM range so it would be worthwhile focussing on this area whilst keep the go faster area on the rich side
plenty to play with this yr

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Mon May 09, 2016 6:01 pm

well my wallet has got a bit of its mojo back 8-) - and i'm now dangerously confident with this ECUtune
after two tanks of +/- typical riding ( 80- odd run up to 115) i'm seeing approx 20% mpg improvement for knocking the fuel maps back 2% + adding back 2ndry throttle
so - I know where the "oh my god I can't believe its not a set of flat slide pumpers on her" 8-)
I know where the good mpg exists
and I know a bit in between
plenty more to play with

Do not do this - 2% cut back across the range is too much - attempts at WOT accel 5K to 7K i'm hearing that nails in a tin sound that to me is pinking - for clarity i've got the ITG filter + BOS pipes with decibel reducers inserted running open loop only c/w 2ndry butterflies active but set at 100% above 3500 rpm using std 95ron fuel

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sun May 15, 2016 3:05 pm

more old news for those who know and new news to me :)
symptom = random idle - at times climbing to 4K
solution = re set throttle position sensor, mine was at 0.71V closed position - now 0.6V
now - there is lots of web info on this subject - try this, try that - all I can say is the best and most accurate info that worked for me - when all the other idea's didn't - is on here from Kev
twiddling with the TPS and throttle cables may work for you - but for me, the only thing that did was to do it using tuneECU - in my mind ref: a post on this by Kev makes the best sense - basically the way I see it, doesn't matter what you twiddle - the computer says (you need to watch little britain to appreciate the sarcasm :) ) - if the ECU has adapted to where it wants to set idle speed - and you go twiddle - it will always go back to the stored value, this may now be at 5 or 6 or 3 K rpm - yi got to link up to the ECU and get it to store the new info - get rid of the old and in with the new, plenty idea's out there that suggest you don't - maybe they were twiddling within the ECU +/- adaption range - I dunno, if so then that to me is luck

but bloomin ek KTM, boy did you make this simple task a right bugger to achieve, you could have given us a few extra inches of wiring to help get into the connector to make the measurement

Oh! forgot, also sorted out my notchy gearchange by clearing out the oil jet - again - KTM, yi buggers - spat my dummy a few times trying to get the jet out :evil: ended up pumping it out by a quick fire up, do this if your dare :lol: - you'll spend less time fishing about the mess trying to find the jet versus trying to pluck it out

I am finally getting this KTM servicing thing - save it all up for the next shim check and do it all when you've got the body work off the bike 8-)

oh - and did I manage to have a doh moment - yes indeed :( "do not squeeze the clutch when you have the slave cylinder removed" - ok - got that, at least until I fired the bike up - ref: above = cost me x 1 new cylinder, hayho I always wanted one of them shiny orange oberon cylinders 8-) an after mucho tribulation - should I go for Tesco's extra virgin or just the std olive oil ? - hmm std gave the nicer clutch feel - the cheap stuff it was then
Last edited by nlovie on Mon May 16, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Mon May 16, 2016 11:01 am

you'll gather this has become by blog dump :)
here's a quirky one: I've noted a couple of times connection issues with TuneECU - now i've no real idea why, computers - I hate them :evil:
but one thing I have noticed that may or may not be related ( I also observed this when tuning saab's via T5suite - same basic issue)
they are sensitive to battery voltage
one time I failed to make connection - I was on 12.2V
latest attempt that failed - I had a charger on fast charge and was putting out 15.3V
in both cases - getting the battery to somewhere between 12.7V and 13.8V = seems to work - as said maybe a quirky co incidence dunno - worked for me

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:20 am

No you are correct the glitch is linked to battery voltage, usually did any tunecu work with full battery and headlamp disconnected