nlovie
250cc
250cc
City: Huntly
Year: 2009
Model: Adventure

newbe intro

Post by nlovie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 pm

joining and I haven't got the bike yet - that keen :) bike not delivered to me yet
been playing with bikes for 35yrs - wanting to get back to some long distance exploring - starting next yr - and a 2009 yr 990 adv. is what i've picked for this
And i've joined this forum because the level of technical write up, shared knowledge is brilliant
I picked up a 2009 model - because it came with the usual touring accessories plus it leaves me with a load of money ( compared to the 2011 advR I wanted ) to spend on making it my own bike.

right i'll get back to reading and learning 8-)

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: newbe intro

Post by kevxtx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Welcome mate I am sure you are going to enjoy your ride. :D

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Mate of mine got a big KTM lives in Huntly.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:35 am

Yoozy wrote:Mate of mine got a big KTM lives in Huntly.
good stuff - whats his name ?
kevxtx - your aproach to the engine mapping is 1st class
For bikes i've been brought up old school - tweaking carb's and ex pipe runner lengths. along with bolt on performance parts
I took a break and went to the dark side for a few yr's - tuning SAAB turbo engines using their trionic 5 engine mapping system via T5suite freeware = got me comfortable with working with engine mapping systems -- and now looking fwd to developing my knowledge with ecutune
My historic bike builds have included
Harris mag 3 with GPZ1100 inj and now GSXR1100
Peckett and Mcnab Honda RC1000
Honda XR600

I don't have a plan yet for the 990 but it is starting to develop
1st, just get out there and enjoy the bike as it is = this summer
2nd, Suspension - I reconned on std 990 suspension tuned for me = better than R spec std - one reason why I justified buying the cheaper 07 bike - seems like there is plenty knowledge out there with respect to shim stacks etc.. so its just experiment time
3rd = modify :) you just have to, stuff like relocation of side stand mount, removal of the anti lock braking system to enable fitting an under seat fuel tank - crash and bash protection, and most importantly - getting the seat right and peg to bum to hands
4th - engine and mapping - get all the valued mod's done - water pump shaft, clutch oil jet, double cooling fan - etc.. etc..

hopefully the bike arrives later this week

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

You got a lot planed.

I did my motorcycle apprenticeship at the start of the 80's & have managed to get my head around EFI tunning, these days I hate carbs I like to push a button & the changes are made. I like to modify & measure gains I am lucky to have friends with simular interests that help me along the way.

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:41 am

right had my 1st decent run on the bike, given i've been used to 4 cylinder sports / sport touring bikes with carb's - been a bit of a re calibration
1st - it doesn't vibrate, atleast it pass's the itchy nose test - ( a very annoying habit when driving 4 cylinder bikes for me :lol: ) - it does tremble when you accelarate hard, letting you know its a twin: note to self: check all the engine mount torques - 20K miles - worth a re torque
2nd - don't fill the side tanks to the brim - it will self level, unfortunatly all over the road when you put it on the side stand- note to self - check overflow pipe
3rd - don't read tooo much into the earlier yr fuel injected throttle response issues: yea - you can make it bulk if your daft and try full throttle / high gear/ low rpm, yea there is a minor hunting at steady throttle positions around the mid range, but its minor - the bike has the throttle cam upgrade - this can be further improved but its low on the list of importance
4th = biggest issue - gaining the confidence with the 21" front tyre - I know how daft you can go with an enduro tyre on an XR 600 on the road, but i'm wary given the bikes weight - this ones going to need a bit of time to build the confidence
5th - thank goodness I got the std versus the R spec suspension, i'm 6'2" - the bike has the KTM lower seat - I don't need another 2" of seat height!
6th - gearing: I can see me dropping a tooth on the front sprocket, don't know whats fitted yet - but it could do with a bit lower gearing in 1st for traffic filtering

otherwise, big :D factor - plenty torque, very neutral in the handling, nice light feel to it given its size, read up about it being more top heavy than the BMW GS - probably, but that doesn't mean its top heavy - not an issue - and it puts you in a nice chilled out riding place versus permanent attack mod. when on a sports bike - still gets to 125 pritty dam't quick though 8-)

JJay51
City: UK
Colour: White

Post by JJay51 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Glad you're enjoying it, once you fettle it some more to suit you i imagine it'll fast become one of your all time favourite bikes :D

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm

JJay51 wrote:Glad you're enjoying it, once you fettle it some more to suit you i imagine it'll fast become one of your all time favourite bikes :D
i've started doing a detail polish and SS bolt swap - haven't done this for 10yrs on a bike ( i'm not a shiny bling type :) ) - so it must be love at first sight :lol:
about to go order an ITG filter and make up an induction plate / kit
Can you confirm the ITG UNIV-JC30-65-F = flat top std JC30 with 65mm inside height ( 90mm outside) is the one to fit c/w std velocity stacks
or will the higher JC30 - 100 - F fit ?
The 80 or 90 i've read up about is hard to find in the UK

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 pm

nlovie wrote:
Yoozy wrote:Mate of mine got a big KTM lives in Huntly.
good stuff - whats his name ?

Goes by the name of Rico.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am

nlovie wrote:
Can you confirm the ITG UNIV-JC30-65-F = flat top std JC30 with 65mm inside height ( 90mm outside) is the one to fit c/w std velocity stacks
or will the higher JC30 - 100 - F fit ?
sorted =- after measuring the 65 is fine
found my source of fuel leak when overfilling, the fitting for the top connecting pipe between the two tanks was split - tried a 8mm soft hose hollow bolt - with washer and nut - so when you tighten the bolt - the hose compress's in length and fattens up around the hole in the tank to make a seal - seems ok for now
also found a battery isolator switch - :) no key must have gone walk about a while back as both cables are ganged off the same connection - i.e. the switch doesn't work - but i'll fix this - a nice extra anti theft device
and a wee bit of fiddling = secondary butterflies have disappeared

starting to note some nice quality touches - like the proper brake hoses and the clutch lever with the weak point cast into it - so you only loose the ball end

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 pm

got a few more decent miles done - still re calibrating from a life with 4 cylinder bikes
gearing - now happy with the std 17 tooth front set up - i'll try the 16, but i'm not doing a lot of city riding so my gut feel is the 17 is good
snipped the wires for torque limiter - no difference = expect to find previous owner has had an ECU teak - TBC
with the 2nd butterflies removed - maybe it does make a rich spot around 4 / 5K if you cruse at this then accel, I sometimes get a hickup before it goes - but its very minor
took up a bit of slack in the throttle cables and the chain = back to basics - and it works - much nicer response

Still trying to work out how best to ride this thing
gear's - boy does it hit the rev limiter quickly - but you don't need to, it makes plenty decent progress short shifting around 6K - but it is very nice ( versus needed) to pin it in lower gears and rev it out. I'm gradually weening myself off the need to drop 2 gear's before doing anything. Above 75mph - just let top gear do the work - and drop maybe 1 gear on corner entry for the exit
steering - leg out, shift to the inside, or just sit back and counter steer with the big bars - dunno haven't master this yet - a bit of body shift to the inside does seem to help it hold the line on fast sweeper's, if your lazy and just countersteer - it does seem to creep out wide ( 90ish+ mph corners) - i'm building confidence with this 21" front tyre - but i'm not quite there yet - at present there's not much feel of what's going on, this is also where a bit more spring and comp. damping should help

Starting to get an idea about the suspension - the rear = got nothing to say yet - its all in the front forks at the moment, they are fine until you get angry with the front brake - you adjust by allowing time to let it recover, but it does seem to be needing a bit more midrange compression damping - and - for me - a stiffer spring - rebound is nice - when you come off the brake - it recovers nicely - arrive at corner - lots of front brake - keep it straight - ease off and let the fork recover, turn in = need to fix the need to recover bit

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm

They do take some leaning over in the tighter stuff with weight but still throwable for max fun :D

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

whats nice - given the ride height, wheels size, tyres etc.. - it is not squirmy - forsure its not sports bike tight, but i'm pleasantly surprised how little it does "snake" - need to have a talk with myself - obviously not trying hard enough :)

anybody got feed back on fitting a 19" front wheel ? - it was on my list before riding the bike - but i'm not seeing anything dramatic that say's big improvment can be had ? - a lot of money otherwise

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 am

i'll keep this post going as my blog - until I stop tweaking :)
fuel delivery sorted with a new pump filter kit
I've adjusted the suspension to sports mod. + a few extra clicks - from std, surprised that it did actually have a noticeable effect ( most OM suspension adjusters are just twiddly nob,s that don't do much either side of all or nothing)- -early days - however - right away I now have a more balanced front / rear suspension response and can use the front brake more with the bike now squatting more versus pitching onto its nose.
Also fitted a 16tooth front sprocket - i'll live with this until I re new the chain set and decide on what's best - right away the benefit is not so noticeable in the low gears - its the top two- with the 17 - I couldn't find the sweet spot to drop one or two gears to accel, with the 16 - you drop just one and your right into a nice torque pull

nice improvement of late, also the simplest one - adjusted the front brake lever position to lower the lever a few degree's - tiny adjustment but my brain loves it.
noted a bit of oil leakage after removing the clutch slave, very minor wetting, take lesson from fuel pump - get a seal redress and service this now - before being left stook somewhere

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 am

Nice, sounds like its getting there now then :D

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 pm

well thats about 1000 miles - what about the ergonomics ( if thats the right word :? ) - TBH its why I bought the bike - the most important bit for doing any distance - and as before - my take is in comparison to a diet of 4 cylinder bikes - mainly my previous CBR1000 ( pre blackbird i.e. a well known mile cruncher)
1) white finger = gone - dunno if its the wrist position - or the lack of 4cylinder higher frequency vibes - but its gone, previously - 50 miles and my fingers would be dead
2) neck and shoulders - helmet strain = gone - i've got the bigger touring screen - and coupled with the riding position, my neck and shoulders take no strain
3) bum - yip the std seat - for me doesn't work - 100 miles and i'm wishing for something else - ok I won a fleabay bid on a tourtech seat a few nights ago - so i'll try this 1st
4) bum 2 - the riding position puts a lot more weight on yir arse - so far its been ok - but have had the odd twitch in my lower back - nothing to worry about but a signal - to wear a kidney belt for any serious distance riding
5) knee's - yippie :lol: I can now get off a bike after say 150 miles and not fall over with knee cramp ( i'm 55 and had my fair share of bashing knee's on tarmac)
6) visor ? - yip a strange one - but a good one, I no longer have to clean my visor - previously i'd get maybe 50 miles until the furr growth of dead midgies ( a wee nasty Scottish fly) made visibility impossible - obviously the screen is doing a good job of deflecting the wee bugger away from my
visor
7) front brake lever - still not sorted - the adjuster doesn't pull the lever in - with my gloves on its always at my ginger tips versus the 1st knuckle - you wouldn't think this would be an issue - go ride the bike with your gloves off just to see what having the lever in the the right place improves things - i'm going to glue in spacer shims to position the lever nearer the handlebar - yip i'll make sure I don't go too far and close the MC bleed port
8) throttle cam - its just not right for me - there's far too much travel such that you rarely get the throttle fully open - unless you make a concious effort to do it ( and I want it to happen versus have to make it happen) - so I need a cam thats slow for the 1st 10% and faster for the last 50% - any idea's ? or do I make one to meet my needs

summary on ergonomics = this is a long distance bike - the potential is there, need to find a seat and do a few tweaks to make it fit me.
Not tried yet ? - rain - shock horror - it hasn't rained for weeks 8-) - but I do need to see how the rain is deflected away from the rider - TBC

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Sun May 03, 2015 6:59 pm

well I founds rain - it is Scotland :) - shows how good the screen works for me - the water runs down my visor - didn't get soaked so for what little obvious protection there is - its doing a good job
mpg is averaging around 45 - for any distance work with 85 mph as the target - i'm happy with this
16tooth sprocket - i'm now sold - as per previous - not because of the low speed but in top - it shifts the rpm where I want to be away from a flat spot ( just below 5K) - and definatly cuts down the need for gear changes.
replaced the front tyre - hmm a bit of a weave almost coming on - granted there was a fair side wind buffeting me, backed off the rear ride height a couple of turns and the front comp. damping a few clicks - hayho seems to be more settled - leading to - the suspension adjusters
The front comp damper adj. - isn't - its a switch - play around with it relative to the pre load and you find a position - that one click more and it goes harsh on initial fork movement- one click less - and its same for 5 clicks less :) - ramping up the pre load to reduce the front dive under brake - isn't the real answer = rob peter to pay paul effect - I kinda knew this but worth trying - I need stiffer springs but that will be a winter job

And my arse!! - well the tourtech is a big improvement - it's still a fairly solid seat but the shape is better - I had the KTM low seat - the ridge back to the pillion perch kinds held you in one position - the tourtech lets you move about - quite surprised the diffrence a few inches more seat has made - having more seat hight is nice for my peg to bum position and by backing off on the suspension pre load to get my feet on the ground - the bike is more fun through the corners - obviously less of that sitting high - wow! thats a long way to lean - now its more confidence to get stuck in

so anybody reading this - needing a factory lowered seat give me a shout, and anybody got any recommendations for a suppliers of stiffer springs in the UK - also apreciate your advice
ps I thought Scott oilers were for grandad's - why did I wait until now to use one :oops:

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Mon May 11, 2015 7:33 pm

a few more miles knocked up - whats new ? - tyres
replaced the front std issue MT90 - was well used when I got the bike - happy - hmmm not quite, there's a nervousness about her now, its never going to have that "on rails" feel - given the ride position and suspension travel- but definatly feeling a bit more sensative to getting a weave on at 90+mph sweepers
feels a bit smoother ( I did suspect a bit of front wheel unbalance when I 1st got her) so I don't think its this specific tyre - its done 300 miles so i'd have thought it scrubbed in - reducing the rear preload by a turn helped - maybe reduce the front as well and see - its not bad - its just there
Anyway - :o :shock: cripes - whats happened to the new back MT90 that came with the bike bloomin magician disapearing act :) - i'd already read up to expect this - i'll get maybe another 500 miles - then a set of conti trail attack tyres going on

bummer moment ? - spent a good few hr's drilling out the siezed M6 bolts that mount the fancy alloy bash plate - then I discover - the plate comes off a much easier way - with the mounts that its mounted to :oops:
also fitted a new chain and sprockets - went for the EK SRX 525 - not the strongest out there - but plenty strong enough- and it came at a good price the grandad oiler will keep it fresh, right got a 180 mile trip the morn - weather is looking good, dual carriagway - or up over the cairn o mount road for some back road fun ? depends on how big my dram is tonight :) - later

JJay51

Post by JJay51 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Trail attacks are brilliant road tyres :)

nlovie
250cc
250cc

Post by nlovie » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm

wobble wobble wobble
no I haven't "gone back to the future" and started riding a Kawasaki 900 :) i've found myself with a wobbly 990
It's the "sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't" type at speeds around the 85 to 90 mph range
OK its not an uncommon thing with these bikes - going by the amount of forum comments
I'm slowly working through options
its not tyres - i'm now on a different set - trail attack 2's versus the scorpions
its not tyre pressure ( i've been from 32 to 38 on the front)
its not the tall screen - off with it = not much difference
its not the damaged rim tape scenario ( that seemingly is a lower speed thing - anyway its good)
It is partly me - in as much as I can manage it by going very light on the handlebar grip

It did seem to be more obvious immediately after fitting a new front tyre - after maybe 400 miles it lessens - suggesting its sensitive to tyre profile - but then I fitted the trail attack which has a round versus pointed profile

I don't want to fit a steering damper - that doesn't fix the root cause, its not like its a steep head angle shake - but i'll keep this option only after I
Sort the suspension :roll: same subject as previous but for different reasons now
basically i've been working on making the best with the std springs - to try and balance the bike versus it pitching onto its nose - but in doing so i'm winding in preload
i'm going to back the springs off and start again - but now to see if I can regain a bit of stability

its all good stuff - I know I need to change the front fork set up - glad I haven't done it yet - because if i'd just gone and stuffed a set of stiffer springs in there - i'm not so sure this would solve this wobble
do I need a stiffer front end - yes - but do I need it whilst maintaining the ride height where it is - not so sure

TBH I fully expected this - just looking at the bike - its suspension travel - the rider height etc.. - cripes!!! - might be something there ( thinking whilst typing :) ) it seems to be more obvious around the same time I changed my seat from the KTM low seat to a std one - i'm sitting maybe 2" higher up :lol: i'll be eating my hat if its this