Wanting to buy new rotors.. Power Parts versus Galfers?

slowdown
125cc
125cc
City: PORTLAND
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Wanting to buy new rotors.. Power Parts versus Galfers?

Post by slowdown » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm

So I know the Power Parts aftermarket rotors are Galfers wave rotors. Are they any different from the Wave rotors that Galfer sells that AREN'T branded powerparts? Is the only difference in the logo/marketing?

I'm asking because I'm looking to upgrade from the OEM rotors and pads, and found the PowerParts Galfers for $260, versus the Galfers floating wave for $275 from the same seller. Both are quite a bit cheaper than I've seen elsewhere online at over $300.

So is there any difference between the two?

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Re: Wanting to buy new rotors.. Power Parts versus Galfers?

Post by mrossk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 pm

I wrote Galfer a while back and they replied: the only difference is the logo. Though I seem to recall that those from Galfer looked like they are directional and those from KTM didn't. But that's just a vague memory, I don't have pictures in front of me

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks! You are right that the Galfers are listed as directional whereas the PP discs are not... Interesting. I actually found another deal on the PP version for $200 a piece, so that helps the decision making process. Do you have these rotors? What do you think of them?

mrossk
500cc
500cc

Post by mrossk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't have them, almost bit the bullet, but I am interested when funds become available...

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Striff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I have the power parts rotors on my bike.
But they came with it, so can't compare to how they are over stock.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose

Post by crazyinp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 am

slowdown wrote:Thanks! You are right that the Galfers are listed as directional whereas the PP discs are not... Interesting. I actually found another deal on the PP version for $200 a piece, so that helps the decision making process. Do you have these rotors? What do you think of them?
Care to share? :)
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016

Post by michaelnel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:32 am

I have the PP rotors on my bike. They did improve the brake feel (I installed EBC HH pads at the same time though). No pulsing whatsoever, unlike the stock ones that howled when walking the bike.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017

Post by Spiff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

When ever I see carbon fiber wheels it makes wonder if an additional job would be appropriate. Lol

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:18 am

crazyinp wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 am
slowdown wrote:Thanks! You are right that the Galfers are listed as directional whereas the PP discs are not... Interesting. I actually found another deal on the PP version for $200 a piece, so that helps the decision making process. Do you have these rotors? What do you think of them?
Care to share? :)
Yah Man!

Here: http://www.ktmworld.com/product/61309960000.html

On one page on their site it lists these rotors as $239 a piece, but on the actual product page they are listed at $205. I bought them and the charge came out to $205 a piece, and they've been shipped. Just waiting on the mail to get here. It says these fit the 2014-2015 1290...I'm not sure if anything is different about the later model years that would make these not work..

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 am

michaelnel wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:32 am
I have the PP rotors on my bike. They did improve the brake feel (I installed EBC HH pads at the same time though). No pulsing whatsoever, unlike the stock ones that howled when walking the bike.

That's awesome! I'm hoping for the same outcome on my '14. I also bought EBC HH Pads to put on. How many miles ago did you make the change?

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by michaelnel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm

I have only put about 1000 miles on since changing the rotors and pads.

Rick
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sonora CA
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Rick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Delete

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 pm

I finally got the project finished. Inspected my wheel's front rotor landings, installed front and rear PP Galfers, calipers thoroughly cleaned, a new rear tire, new EBC HH pads front and rear, and the brakes bled. I finished everything up this afternoon and took the bike for a quick spin just to see that everything is working properly.

The bike seems OK. The brakes are working, although honestly the rear brake feels rather anemic... Not sure why. Front brake felt OK, but not really any sharper than the original set-up. Maybe they just need to bed in.

I rode around the neighborhood a few times, less than 10 miles total. Pulled back into the driveway and then I felt that all too familiar pulsing in the handlebars with the front tire turned sharply to get around my wife's car. I killed the engine, and that loud, obnoxious groaning/pulsing is back. Curiously, this time it has changed from the LEFT side of the bike the RIGHT side. Bummer... I was really hoping this would fix the issue.

Only next step I can think of is pulling off the M50 calipers and popping the pistons out to get an even more thorough clean. :?:

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by michaelnel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 am

Did you follow the procedure in the FSM about seating the brake calipers so they are centered?

mrossk
500cc
500cc

Post by mrossk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:03 am

There's a thread somewhere (http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... lit=brakes) that describes a possible cause- the part of the wheel where the rotors mount may have some slight casting defects, pushing them out of alignment. A little cleanup and they claim to have solved it.

Edit: Sorry, just reread and saw that you checked this area already...bummer

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Last edited by slowdown on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowdown
125cc
125cc

Post by slowdown » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 pm

michaelnel wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 am
Did you follow the procedure in the FSM about seating the brake calipers so they are centered?

I followed it to the best of my understanding. Here's what I did..

I pushed the pistons as far back into their bores as far as I could. I then fit the new brake pads into the caliper. I slid the caliper into place with the pads on either side of the rotor, with the mounting holes of the caliper lined up with the mounting holes on the bike. I put the screws with loctite into their holes just a few turns to hold the calipers in place. Then I spun the wheel & had my wife operate the front brake until the pads contacted the rotor. Once there, she held the brake lever to keep it the pads in contact with the rotor while I tightened all 4 bolts on the calipers to spec.

A few days later (the bike was still up on the front stand for some other work), I bled the brakes. Then I took the bike off the stand, engaged the front brake, compressed the forks, checked that they compressed and straightened, and then re-torqued all 4 pinch bolts on the under side of the front axle.

Is that correct, or did I misunderstand some aspect?

Edit- Could performing this service with the bike on a front stand affect centering the caliper/rotor interface?

knackers
250cc
250cc
City: Melbourne
Model: SMT

Post by knackers » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 pm

I went for the Braketech discs made in the States and they are full floaters which may I say are head and shoulders above the standard rotors. And they look really shmick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk