New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post Reply
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Fry » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:58 am

Ever since I saw this particular HJC color scheme I knew I had to have it.

It had to be designed expressly for the KTM Super Duke R.

The Orange is a perfect match, the "R" on the back of the Lid is an amazing touch. I added the KTM sticker, which is a "KTMTWINS" sticker, I just cut off the bottom "Twins" portion of the sticker.

You can see how exact the orange is on the helmet compared to the KTM Sticker. Held next to the bike, its a perfect match.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Gimlet
900cc
900cc
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm
Country: UK
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Gimlet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Cool. I'd have had one of those if HJCs fitted my head.
Nearly bought one of these. It would go well with an original orange Duke or the white and orange 1290S
Shoei-NXR-Parameter-Helmet-NXR_PARAMETER_TC-8.jpg
Bought an X-lite X-802RR in mat carbon in the end because it goes with anything and it was more comfortable.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Country: USA
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by michaelnel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I bought that same HJC helmet (I have a black 16 SDR). I agree it is a perfect match for the bike. Unfortunately it is not a good match for my head. I wear XXL in Arai and Shoei. XXL is the biggest size HJC offers so that is what I bought.

Unfortunately it caused me great pain in the forehead. I was pretty far from home when the pain started, so there was not much we could do... carved out quite a bit of foam in the forehead area with a knife. That stopped the pain, and all the digging is covered by the liner, but what a shame to have to do that to a brand new helmet.

So... apparently these helmets run small. I was not able to try one on before purchase, and now the warranty is no doubt voided.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 pm
Country: Usa
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Newjerseyduke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm

By a new liner and then return the helmet.
2015 SDR 1290

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Country: USA
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by michaelnel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm
By a new liner and then return the helmet.
The foam of the shell is what we modified. You can't buy that. It fits OK now anyway. I have other criticisms of the helmet though.

It *feels* cheap compared to my Shoei and Arai helmets. The liner feels cheap, the flip down dark shield is flimsy and noisy in operation.

The mouth / chin area of the helmet is *very* close to my mouth, not much room there at all.

The ventilation is almost non-existent. I am not able to detect any airflow through the chin vent with it in either position, and airflow through the top vent is feeble.

It is clear that there is a reason for the high price of Shoei and Arai helmets. The quality is better in all respects. I doubt I will ever buy another low end helmet (at $400 this thing is cheap compared to Shoei / Arai, but expensive for an HJC).

Basically, the only thing I like about this helmet is the look. I wish I had not wasted my money on it.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Fry » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:54 pm

michaelnel wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm
Newjerseyduke wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm
By a new liner and then return the helmet.
The foam of the shell is what we modified. You can't buy that. It fits OK now anyway. I have other criticisms of the helmet though.

It *feels* cheap compared to my Shoei and Arai helmets. The liner feels cheap, the flip down dark shield is flimsy and noisy in operation.

The mouth / chin area of the helmet is *very* close to my mouth, not much room there at all.

The ventilation is almost non-existent. I am not able to detect any airflow through the chin vent with it in either position, and airflow through the top vent is feeble.

It is clear that there is a reason for the high price of Shoei and Arai helmets. The quality is better in all respects. I doubt I will ever buy another low end helmet (at $400 this thing is cheap compared to Shoei / Arai, but expensive for an HJC).

Basically, the only thing I like about this helmet is the look. I wish I had not wasted my money on it.
I agree this helmet does seem to run small, a Lrg in Shoei fits me perfectly, this HJC in Lrg is a bit tight, not pain inducing but tight nonetheless.

And I also agree with the cheap feel of the helmet, 1st ride with the helmet when setting down a Wheelie the internal sun visor snapped down, its' opening and shutting mechanism feels rather flimsy compared to the sun visor set up in the Shoei GT-Air.

In the end I was hesitant on buying a HJC brand lid but the color scheme got me, and I'm usually not "THAT GUY" with all matching gear preferring to ride in all Black or some Hi Viz gear, lesson learned.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Country: USA
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by michaelnel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I have a GT-Air and a NeoTech. Both use the same drop down shield, and they are the basis for my comparison with this HJC.

drewsninja
125cc
125cc
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:59 pm
Country: united kingdom
City: Northumberland
Year: 2010

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by drewsninja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:18 pm

nice lid colours

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Galleta
125cc
125cc
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:24 am
Country: United States
City: Albuquerque
Year: 2015

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Galleta » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Really like this Shoei. Did a Google image search since I'd never seen that design. It's an "nxr"
Model which is I'm guessing the same as what is an RF-1200 in the states? Didn't realize Shoei had different models between UK and US. :shock:
Gimlet wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm
Cool. I'd have had one of those if HJCs fitted my head.
Nearly bought one of these. It would go well with an original orange Duke or the white and orange 1290S
Shoei-NXR-Parameter-Helmet-NXR_PARAMETER_TC-8.jpg

Bought an X-lite X-802RR in mat carbon in the end because it goes with anything and it was more comfortable.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Fry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

michaelnel wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:09 pm
I have a GT-Air and a NeoTech. Both use the same drop down shield, and they are the basis for my comparison with this HJC.
Yeah, the HJC drop Down Visor is just plain flimsy in its operation.

User avatar
Gimlet
900cc
900cc
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm
Country: UK
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by Gimlet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:12 am

Galleta wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm
Really like this Shoei. Did a Google image search since I'd never seen that design. It's an "nxr"
Model which is I'm guessing the same as what is an RF-1200 in the states? Didn't realize Shoei had different models between UK and US. :shock:
Gimlet wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm
Cool. I'd have had one of those if HJCs fitted my head.
Nearly bought one of these. It would go well with an original orange Duke or the white and orange 1290S
Shoei-NXR-Parameter-Helmet-NXR_PARAMETER_TC-8.jpg

Bought an X-lite X-802RR in mat carbon in the end because it goes with anything and it was more comfortable.
Don't know what the US equivalent is but its a sports helmet with no drop-down and the visor is a completely different design to the GT Air I had before which gave me no end of problems with visor alignment, sealing and misting.
The visor moves on its mountings till the tabs don't line up and it and won't snap shut. It whistles and leaks and the pin-lock won't stay sealed to the visor so it mists. Had every Shoei dealer locally has had a look at it and "serviced" it, I've spent a fortune on new visors and pin-locks and its been back to Shoei UK but its still no good.
I've heard there was a problem with a batch of GT Airs in L size but it put me off Shoei and I was dead set against buying another. The NXR was a different matter because it doesn't have that sun visor and the main visor is a much more substantial design. But in the end the X-Lite was more comfortable. And cheaper.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Country: USA
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New Helmet Perfect Match.

Post by michaelnel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:49 pm

I just bought an Arai Defiant Pro-Cruise helmet in Frost Black. In contrast to the HJC it fits right and nothing about it feels cheap (and it wasn't).

In fact, it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. It is designed for an upright riding position and has many refinements to make it perfect for the SDR.

I am thoroughly delighted with it. The HJC is crap. Total waste of money.

Post Reply