Well, This happened (Updated)

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Well, This happened (Updated)

Post by Fry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 am

I fucking emailed Austin Racing with my concerns about them going from (2) L-Shaped Can Hanger Brackets to (1), with (1) allowing a lot more flex allowing the (1) Bracket to act as a fulcrum yet they assured me testing proved (1) bracket sufficiently strong enough.

Well, fuck them my testing shows differently.

A $1300 Can shot out the back of the bike, into 3 lanes of on coming traffic, hit by roughly 27 SUVs. It took a Frogger Like Experience for me to retrieve it. Less than 1000 miles or 8 months on this Exhaust, no track or racing done yet Bam, massive failure.

Here I sit with a very expensive paperweight.

I just emailed AR about the incident, using the "Reply" function to the email where they told me not to worry about the strength\of 1 bracket versus 2, lets see how they handle it.

Last edited by Fry on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose
Year: 2015

Re: Well, This happened.

Post by crazyinp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am

Is it me, or looks like exhaust has been rubbing on your peg? Possible that has been putting tension on it all that time?
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

rocketcaptain
125cc
125cc
City: costa mesa
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by rocketcaptain » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am

i never had this problem when i built r3 exhausts.. you just add a additional piece making it a pyramid / upside down v type contact on the muffler.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 pm

crazyinp wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am
Is it me, or looks like exhaust has been rubbing on your peg? Possible that has been putting tension on it all that time?
Yes, its been rubbing in that area all the time, it wasn't bound\binding at that area, just rubbing occasionally.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 pm

rocketcaptain wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
i never had this problem when i built r3 exhausts.. you just add a additional piece making it a pyramid / upside down v type contact on the muffler.
Exactly, that's what should have been done\provided.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Well, This happened (Updated)

Post by Fry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Well, after many back and forth emails with AR I'm happy to announce that they are a pleasure to deal with and have offered (2) very appealing options to move forward.

In my initial email to them outlining the problem\failure I had with my Hi Mount Can, and done so more as a ploy than anything else I mentioned that I was previously interested in their rs22 Dual Hi Mount System that was recently released yet with this recent failure and my early disappointment with fitment I lost confidence in ever using another one of their products again.

The emails continued and here is where I'm at.

1.) They offered to replace my ST Range Hi Mount can free of charge and would supply a replacement with (2) L-Shaped Brackets compared to the (1), they would also cover shipping costs. All I have to do is send the damaged\failed can back to them for inspection as they've never had this type of failure and regardless of what they found they would ship out a replacement to me free of cost.

2. ) Being that I am a Valued Customer LOL, and showed interest in the rs22 Dual Hi Mount system they would discount that Dual Can Set up taking $800 off of the price, and would cover all shipping costs. They stated they would still need for me to ship the failed can to them, as well as my Ti AR headers to ensure proper fitment of the rs22 to the headers as they've made some minor changes to their headers. The rs22 system retails for $1716+, getting it for $931+ has piqued my interest. They also stated they will have a Pass Peg Mounting solution in 3 months, something that is critical to me and had me shy away from the rs22 when it was recently announced.

In closing, AR is pretty crafty, here I was all angry, pissed off, swearing off ever using AR again or talking nice about them yet here I am serious considering dropping close to a Grand all because there product failed.

I may try to get more of a discount on the rs22....My Can was $1300 and if there willing to replace it, or give me $800 off it kind of looks a bit imbalanced....

So, what should I do

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 pm

The agreed to Ceramic Coat and Throw in the Orange End Caps for free as well.

So, I think I'm pulling the trigger very shortly on this.

crazyinp
675cc
675cc

Post by crazyinp » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 am

rs22 looks out of place on the KTM. It is like Ducati want to be type of exhaust. I would stick with the single side that really looks great. But again that is my opinion.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm

crazyinp wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 am
rs22 looks out of place on the KTM. It is like Ducati want to be type of exhaust. I would stick with the single side that really looks great. But again that is my opinion.
Understood however that's the exact reason I was attracted to the rs22. I grew up with posters of Red and Yellow Ducati 916's on my wall, the Dual Under tail exhaust and Single Sided Swingarm filled my dreams.

Additionally I've had a few KTM's (Dirtbikes), when I was able to buy my own bikes my 1st new one was a KTM, KTM has always been near and dear to my likes and experiences.

Lastly I've always liked Naked bikes, the SDR suits the bill there. I am fortunate enough to have a SDR with ALL of the mods I could ever dream of and for the most part felt it to be "Finished", CF Rims, Full Rotti Catalog, TI Exhaust, Single Sided Swingarm Stock, it ticked all the boxes.

Yet when I saw the Dual Undertail rs22 system I fell in love, it was like a marriage of the 916 styling cues and the badass-ness of the SDR.....At the time of release I couldn't justify buying it as I had a a great sounding AR ST Range Hi mount full system already on the bike, yet when that failed and I was offered substantial savings on the rs22 I only had to think a minute or 2 before agreeing.

crazyinp
675cc
675cc

Post by crazyinp » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 pm

It is of course personal preference. I personally don't like the dual under tail exhaust that AR released, I don't like it on Panigale neither on KTM. I do however love your original exhaust. I think is the most badass exhaust for SDR. If I didn't have the ARKA that my bike came with, that would have been my choice. It is as close to what the superduke prototype bike exhaust was showed with.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 am

crazyinp wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 pm
It is of course personal preference. I personally don't like the dual under tail exhaust that AR released, I don't like it on Panigale neither on KTM. I do however love your original exhaust. I think is the most badass exhaust for SDR. If I didn't have the ARKA that my bike came with, that would have been my choice. It is as close to what the superduke prototype bike exhaust was showed with.
The AR I just recently had issues with, without a doubt is one of the most badass sounding exhausts I've ever heard. It just plain Barks. I've been around 60's and 70's Muscle Cars all my life and have ran a few with open headers and big cams, the AR on the Duke Lobing at idle is fierce, its so menacing. I will say I wasn't happy with AR's decision to go from 2 Brackets on the can attaching it to the bike to 1, 3-4 months ago I voiced my concern as the fit was very sloppy with a lot of movement. I made a modification to it which helped but I was never truly happy with the overall fit. Looks and sound wise I was thrilled. Here's hoping the Dual's sound as good if not better and that the fitment and strength is better.

crazyinp
675cc
675cc

Post by crazyinp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 am

Fry wrote:
crazyinp wrote:
The AR I just recently had issues with, without a doubt is one of the most badass sounding exhausts I've ever heard. It just plain Barks. I've been around 60's and 70's Muscle Cars all my life and have ran a few with open headers and big cams, the AR on the Duke Lobing at idle is fierce, its so menacing. I will say I wasn't happy with AR's decision to go from 2 Brackets on the can attaching it to the bike to 1, 3-4 months ago I voiced my concern as the fit was very sloppy with a lot of movement. I made a modification to it which helped but I was never truly happy with the overall fit. Looks and sound wise I was thrilled. Here's hoping the Dual's sound as good if not better and that the fitment and strength is better.
I am sure will sound great!, but get me a deal and I will gladly replace my AKRA with with what you have! ;) love the single side high mount. Probably the best looking and sounding exhaust for SDR hands down!
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:34 am

crazyinp wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 am
Fry wrote:
crazyinp wrote:
I am sure will sound great!, but get me a deal and I will gladly replace my AKRA with with what you have! ;) love the single side high mount. Probably the best looking and sounding exhaust for SDR hands down!
Almost a $1000 of the Dual Hi Mount all because their St Range Single Hi Mount failed. If I had any sway with them to get others deals I would....

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Striff » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pm

If they had two pipes going all the way it would look better. I agree I don't like the look of it at all.

I'm coming from a speed triple where the twin under exhaust look great, like it was designed that way for the bike, had twin Akra exhusts, so when I see the options for the 1290 SDR I'm disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Striff wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pm
If they had two pipes going all the way it would look better. I agree I don't like the look of it at all.

I'm coming from a speed triple where the twin under exhaust look great, like it was designed that way for the bike, had twin Akra exhusts, so when I see the options for the 1290 SDR I'm disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
There aren't too many options out there. Now if I could get my hands on Jeremy Williams (SP?) custom dual Pipe Akra I'd be all in.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Harsh comment deleted.
Last edited by michaelnel on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton
Colour: Black

Post by JDS1290SDr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 am

Now now guys.
Any side profile Pics of that dual exhaust on a SDR?
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

crazyinp
675cc
675cc

Post by crazyinp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:41 am

______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 am

michaelnel wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 pm
Harsh comment deleted.
All adults here, no need to delete. If you hate it or my rationale for going this route please share, It might be valuable to say what you want to say.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:35 pm

OK. I don't like the way it looks. The lines do not mesh well with the lines of the motorcycle. It really has that "turd in a punchbowl" look to me.

I have not heard it in person but suspect it is way louder than I would want. I have the Akrapovic EVO system that is as loud as I could live with on a daily basis, and I much prefer the aesthetics of that design.

I am not impressed with their engineering, especially given what happened to your first system from them.