125cc
125cc
City: Stirlingshire
Year: 2017
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Austin Racing GP1R can problem.

Post by Davo197 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi all, I fitted an Austin Racing GP1R slip on can to my 1290 Super Duke R 2017 model. Looks great, sounds great but I think I'm losing power in the mid range. The revs seem to falter when accelerating in the mid range and the exhaust note sounds odd. The cat is still intact, it is only an end can slip on. I thought the power wouldn't be affected but that's what's happening. The baffle is in. I'd rather not put the stock exhaust back on but have a sinking feeling that's where I'll end up. Any suggestions, thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Re: Austin Racing GP1R can problem.

Post by Fry » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I would take baffle out.

And then I would ride the piss out of the bike making sure it gets hot and you hear the fans cycle on.

I have no idea what your issues is but when I was fitting a ton of stuff to my 17 SDR the computer has to learn the new mods and make adjustments, short little rides wont do it, you need to cycle through the gears, rev ranges and speeds to give the ECU time to adjust. Again, I dont know if this will help your situation but a fellow member passed along this advice to me and it worked in my situation.

For the record, I have a full Ti Austin Racing GP1 High Slung set up, love it but am not too impressed with fitment.

Davo197
125cc
125cc

Post by Davo197 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Yeah thanks for that, a friend of mine said try starting the bike, don't touch the throttle, which is really important he said, let it idle for 15 mins, apparently the sensors need to learn and adjust to the new air, fuel mixture etc. Both ideas make sense to me.

I'll try one then the other, see if that works. Although running without the baffle, it is really loud, my neighbours might not be too chuffed... ha ha
Yeah the fitment wasn't great on mine either, I suspect it's because they're hand made, so maybe the tolerances aren't quite up to matching a machined end. Had to get a G clamp on mine so I could tighten the bolt.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Best of luck. As for the A\F ratio, IMHO you need to do more than let it idle for 15 minutes, go take it on a hour long ride rowing through the gears and rev ranges, don't be gentle and try to stay away from constant speeds, ride the piss out of it. Mine got better. Again, best of luck.

Davo197
125cc
125cc

Post by Davo197 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

Hey Fry, it worked m8!, took it out for a 3 hour blast, totally wrung it's neck, went up past Loch Lomond turned back at Tyndrum. A great road, not great weather.
The beast is back! Really happy. Buy yourself a pint (of beer) from me or whatever they call it in the US.
Now I'm thinking I could do away with the cat and stick a link pipe on. Then I would need to re map it right enough. Ah well food for thought.
Cheers.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Davo197 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am
Hey Fry, it worked m8!, took it out for a 3 hour blast, totally wrung it's neck, went up past Loch Lomond turned back at Tyndrum. A great road, not great weather.
The beast is back! Really happy. Buy yourself a pint (of beer) from me or whatever they call it in the US.
Now I'm thinking I could do away with the cat and stick a link pipe on. Then I would need to re map it right enough. Ah well food for thought.
Cheers.
Just passing along info others passed along to me in my time of quandary...I was so fucking pissed I was thinking of dropping the bike off at the dealer and saying keep the fucking thing. Yet, I followed a fellow members advice and low and behold boom, the Duke awoke from its slumber, learned and got better. Now its a freaking Beast, 3 gear power wheelies, no dead spots and brutal acceleration.

Im not a beer guy but Ill smoke a Bone and have some Whistle Pig Whiskey on the Rocks in honor of your victory.