de-cat and slip on or full system with cat?

J-S
125cc
125cc
City: Quebec
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

de-cat and slip on or full system with cat?

Post by J-S » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:03 pm

So which on will give me more for my $$ buy a de-cat link pipe and a slip on or just go with the full Akra whit the cat? I know full Akra + de-cat is the better option all together but just to weight the options

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Re: de-cat and slip on or full system with cat?

Post by Gimlet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 pm

If by full Akra you mean the Evo, it doesn't have a cat. What looks like a cat is a resonator box. Straight-through aftermarket decat link pipes with no chamber in them tend to be louder and harsher. Personally, I've yet to see an aftermarket system that makes me wish I hadn't bought the Evo. Without a dyno comparison its hard to know which gives more bang for you buck but I'd lay odds the Evo will take some beating.

J-S
125cc
125cc
City: Quebec
Year: 2017

Post by J-S » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Gimlet wrote:If by full Akra you mean the Evo, it doesn't have a cat. What looks like a cat is a resonator box. Straight-through aftermarket decat link pipes with no chamber in them tend to be louder and harsher. Personally, I've yet to see an aftermarket system that makes me wish I hadn't bought the Evo. Without a dyno comparison its hard to know which gives more bang for you buck but I'd lay odds the Evo will take some beating.
Thanks I was sure the eco had a cat since it has the exact same shape as the stock pipe so I will be going with the full evolution then :) plus since it look like there is a cat I will not have a problem passing the province safety when I move this summer to my new posting. You just made my day

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:02 pm

As a fellow evo owner I agree 100% with Gimlet 's response.
2015 SDR 1290

Scuba1290
250cc
250cc
City: Hobart
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Scuba1290 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:05 am

Go full EVO! Holy shit does this thing sound awesome! I was running a decat pipe with stock muffler without the DB killer. Then when I go to the track I'd pull the stock muffler off and throw on the comp werks can.

I just got done installing the full Evo. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place. And it looks so good!

The deep rumble of the evo is no comparison to a slip on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I was hoping for a performance comparison between going the cheap route vs akra ti? The obvious benefit with the akra is you save the warranty, but once the year is over is there still a performance gain going full system?
Enjoy

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Well, the Akra is the best bang, but not for your buck :D

It's pricey, but it's awesome. Powerwise, I'd think a cheaper decat pipe and can give you near the same gains, but the Akra is light as hell. You'd have to get some titanium headers, pipe, and can to get the full benefits, then you're probably going to spending the same money, so might as well go Akra.

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Post by HDKAWKTM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 pm

I can't see the cost of the full evo but that is just me. The bike is way fast stock but just sounds bland. I am happy with the sound and looks of my Remus mid and Ti can. Sounds like it should and looks as good as anything out for an SDR other than the high mount Austin but it's just too damn loud :shock: for me.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen: