Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Akra Map with No Akra

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Thank You, Thank You., Thank You.

So I disconnected the Battery per your instructions, to use the "Dumb" way of erasing the "Learned Values".

Started the bike and took off, and the yellow Triangle warning light on the lower right screen was gone, nor did it come back.

Instantly the bike was transformed, not 1 dead spot, the throttle action actually correlated to forward movement and I think the front tire got light. Everything seemed fixed.

Then the bike stalled (Something it does infrequently when coming to a stop), luckily I coasted into a Gas Station. The bike was reluctant to "Power Up", everytime I pressed the Grey button I saw a Yellow Round Dot on the right of the dash flash briefly? Eventually the bike powered up and I was able to start it. The bike ran worse, not as bad as before the Battery disconnect but trending that way however going on the advise 5150 Pops I set out on a long ride, city streets, stop and go traffic, some highway and many back roads, put on 75+ miles and had the bike running at all times, I even pulled over and let it idle so the fans would come on. The bike alternated between feeling better, getting better and being somewhat doggish still, but I soldiered on. It stalled once more, and I cannot totally rule out its due to what I can only describe as a light flywheel effect and me not being use to the Hydro clutch on the street?

I ended up going to my folks house (Where my main workshop and garage is) to take a rest, show the bike to my Dad and see if the Dealer called me back. Prior to getting Pops advise I put in a call to my Salesman to inform him of what was going on and asking him for some advise\a contact in the Service Dept. So during my break I listen to voice mail left by the Service Manager, he wanted me to bring the bike right in and he would erase any learned values (He was apprised of the situation of a Akra Map and Stock Exh Issue I created) and check the bike over. When I called back he was busy but I was told to bring it in.

Started the bike up and head to the dealership and the bike instantly had gotten even better, no dead spots, front tire getting light in every gear, crisp. Still wasn't perfect but it was\is damn near close. I still haven't taken it over 6K RPM but boy this things is starting to feel like a Beast.

The whole ride to the dealer was enjoyable, I could feel the bike getting better, it was frisky, it barked, I was smiling. Get to the dealer and the whole Service Dept and a few Salesman along with most customers outside stop and come over to my bike, the Austin Racing Exhaust seems to be a drug to most people, it's intoxicatingly loud, obnoxious, but seems to draw people to its call. I have a long talk with the service manager, tell him what I was instructed to do with the Batt, and how great the bike was responding, how it was "Learning"...He insisted that the bike really is highly advanced and will take a bit of time to learn, adjust and respond. He asked me to be patient and just keep putting miles on it.

On a side note they finished mounting my Pirelli's on the Carbon Fiber BST rims and had them on display in the showroom, SOB the drip Exotica......

The bike is up on stands right now, rims and tires will come off tonight, I'm at 150 miles so I'll do an oil and filter change, the BST's will go on 1st thing in the AM and I'll try to put another few hundred miles on the bike tomorrow and do another oil change.

I'd like to really offer my heartfel thanks to 5150 Pops, THAT DUDE KNOWS HIS SHIT. Pops, I owe you a Beer.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 am

Fry wrote: Pops, I owe you a Beer.
Just one??????
J/k
Glad it worked out for you! 150 miles now...so you were only in the 60's- or 70's?
No wonder! You need to leave girlfriend alone, and ride the beast!

No bigs dude, it's the good spirit of these message boards that help one another. All I did was relate to you a combination of experience and recycled information, I either read, or was told.

To better understand, when you mentioned it stalling you are referring to the engine dying, yes? If yes, the best thing you could have done, right then and there, was turn key off, and unplug battery 15 minutes. At the very least turn key off, wait about 5 minutes, (even if you were not able to disconnect battery) then try to start it, AND DON'T LET IT DIE AGAIN!
If you've not spent much time on a 500 +cc twin cylinder bike, it's easy to "stall" them, whether they're equipped with cable or hydraulic actuated clutch.

Like I mentioned before, and apparently your Service Manager reiterated, ride the bike, a lot!
None of this city -stop and go bullshit- either. Unless you're already in the woods, you'll have to get through some of that crap, but get away from it asap. After a solid hour of not killing the engine, and revving the piss out of it (as in - NOT keeping it at low, or constant RPM for more than a minute or so at a time), you will be singing happy happy joy joy.
Find some places where you can stop AND go when YOU choose to do so, and accelerate through the gears from idle to 6000 rpm.
No, I'm not saying all the way through 6th, but several times (3-4 then resume prior) from 1st to 3rd, and then immediately back down to 1st, and repeat, a few times. You have clutchless up and downshift capability, use it! This will help, two ways...seat the rings, and help the ECU adapt to the entire rpm range, or at least the range you are keeping it in. Then, when you feel comfortable enough that you've broken in the engine, you will shit yourself, when you get passed that 6,000 rpm ceiling. The bike will continue to adapt, once you start exploring that region of the powerband too. A great place, to experience it would be at a 1/4 mile dragstrip test and tune event, if there's a track near you. 1/8 mile strip is not that great for this bike, but it is better than getting a ticket, for doing it on the highway.

THANK YOU, for not being a dick, and updating the forum, so others may benefit from your experience in the future! Too many times, there's a give-me attitude, without reciprosity. That's​ not cool, always show those who take whatever time (insignificant or otherwise) a wee little respect for trying to help you, even if it doesn't solve anything. You never know, another lurker on the board might have another idea, that fixes your issue, but because you don't post results, they never do...

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:50 am

By the way, just in case you're wondering,..as long as you resist the urge for trips of less than an hour, where you can really keep the tachometer sweeping back and forth, you shouldn't have any need to reset adaptations, until you change something.
When the headers go on, would be a good time to do so, even if they're the same length and diameter. If they are, they could still evacuate exhaust gases more efficiently than OEM.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:07 am

Again, thank you so much.

Im putting the BSTs on tomorrow am. Oil change tonight.

Ill try to get another 100-200 miles tomorrow.

Million years ago i rode a GS500E (Still have it, 1995 with 4000 miles on it), also rode a Buell XB9r for a time but most of my seat time has been on GSXR 1000's. So yeah, i need to get use to a Vtwin.

So if i stall it i should pull the Batt cable? How long?

I'm learning thanks to thos forum and its members, ill pass on what i can.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 am

I wouldn't keep pulling the batt cables. Computers can be finicky. Pull it and leave it off for 10 mins. Turn on key. That will drain any residual voltage in capacitors. Key off. Bat cable back on. Start bike let idle for 5 mins and head out. If you have to keep unplugging it there is a deeper issue. My 2 cents.
2015 SDR 1290

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:44 am

Fry wrote:Again, thank you so much.
So if i stall it i should pull the Batt cable?.
Look at my post directly above what you just wrote...no.
You should be good to go, now.
The more miles you put on the better it will get.

I was only breaking your balls, about killing the engine, because you said "it stalled"...like you had nothing to do with it, when it actually stalled, due to your inaction, or slow reaction/perception.

When you put the header on, you DO NOT have to clear/reset adaptations, but you might notice slight alterations in fuelling behavior, until the ECU accumulates enough data (if the header actually flows better than stock) .

Stop stressing, and start riding!!! No shorty rides, til much later on the odometer. +500 miles.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:04 am

Work continues....