Akra Map with No Akra

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Akra Map with No Akra

Post by Fry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Well, I finally got my 17 SDR here in the States, yeah March delivery my ass.

Being that I jump the gun on mostly everything I had ordered all of my upgraded\aftermarket parts prior to getting the SDR. That included a Full Ti Austin Racing ST Range Hi Slung Exhaust System. So far I have only gotten the Mid Pipe and the Can, headers should be arriving within a week or 2. I have not installed these items as of yet.

Being that I do jump the gun, and never wanting to go back to the dealer again, at delivery of the bike I had them install the Akra Map, along with the Track and Performance Packs.

Salesman stated that although he didn't ride the bike it might run rough do to the Akra Map and Stock Exh.

He was right, the bike coughs and sputters, I cannot hammer the throttle in any fashion, and it pops a bit on decel. Basically you really need to be smooth with the throttle and short shift it to get any sort of speed. The bike feels seriously neutered. Can't wheelie, can scream the motor, feels like a dying dog.

For now I'm OK with this as long as it is in fact do to the stock Exh being on there, with the Akra Map.

There is such a dizzying array of Power choices and levels to choose from I'm hoping I don't have it on the wrong setting to cause the poor running? I tried Race Mode, Street Mode, turned off Anti Wheelie, Lowered Slip to nothing, turned off MTC or whatever it is, changed Throttle delivery (I think), yets its still running like it's "Backed Up", again, I would assume do to the stock Exh and Akra map not playing well together.

I'm hoping to put the Mid Pipe and Can on today to see if that opens things up and gets it running cleanly.

Any comments or advice welcomed.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: Akra Map with No Akra

Post by 5150 Pops » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 pm

You mean to tell us, after all your posts about waiting/getting the bike, you don't post pics?
C'mon man.
J/k
Sounds like you could have some improvement by blocking off the exhaust air injection.

You bought the block off plates, already...right?
Also a higher flowing air filter would also help your cause, if you are absolutely certain you do in fact have the richer mapping.
Last edited by 5150 Pops on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Pics to follow, I've already had the bike pretty ripped apart.

I do have the Akra map, bike is running like shit. I mean, horrendous.

Hopefully, putting on the Mid Pipe and Back Austin System (Still waiting in the headers) will help the issue.

I have no bought the SAS delete yet, going to order the entire Rotti Catalogue soon though.

So, do you think its Akra Map, Stock Pipe Causing the issue? or a Electronic Nanny causing the issue? Its almost as if the bike doesn't carburate cleanly (I know, its injected, just feels that way).

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 pm

It will be running far to rich for the restrictive standard system, with the SAS still installed all that unburnt fuel is gonna be igniting in the exhaust and causing the popping and banging, i would be careful you dont overheat and melt the CAT running the Akra map.

Once you get the free flowing AR system on and block off the SAS and stick a race filter in it, it will run sweet

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:22 pm

What he ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ said.

C'mon rockstar, I thought you were prepared to rip that emissions shit right out, at delivery.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Rockstar, LOL.

I will try and fit the Half System tonight, still waiting on Austin to get the fucking Headers to me....3+ Month wait for an exhaust system, WTF.

I wont be getting the SAS stuff for a while, so hopefully with the full Exh. ait will improve things slightly .

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Fuck It, Just ordered the Stage 3 SAS kit from Rottweiler Perf. Kinda wanted to wait and order his Full Intake (Stage 4) kit, along with the Stage 3 SAS but the intake will have to wait.

So, I will hopefully gets this sorted.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Fitting the half system is definitely the right thing to do, the bikes still gonna pop and bang like a bitch until you get the SAS kit installed but at least getting rid of the CAT will allow the bike to breathe properly.

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson

Post by HDKAWKTM » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Running the akra map and still having the cat on will surely screw it up per the expert ktm tech who remapped mine. I had my cat off when I had the map loaded per his recommendation. It will pop until that SAS is gone.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson

Post by HDKAWKTM » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Running the akra map and still having the cat on will surely screw it up per the expert ktm tech who remapped mine. I had my cat off when I had the map loaded per his recommendation. It will pop until that SAS is gone.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 am

Well, I got the AR Link Pipe and ST Range Hi Mount Can installed, m initial impressions are that the throttle responses is a lot quicker, super crisp sounding, instantaneous. It's also loud as fuck.

Due to the rain I have yet to take it out for a test drive to see if in fact the Akra Map with Stock Exh was causing the driveability issues. As far as the Headers, AR is saying another month, FUCK.

Road test results to follow.

I also have a warning light on the lower right on my dash? Triangle Light with something in the middle (Im at work so dint recall exactly what it is) but I am assuming it has something to do with me unplugging the Exh Servo Box and removing all of that and the cat? I also removed and re-installed the rear pipe O2 Sensor when fitting the link pipe but I doubt that would throw a warning light?

I thought having the Akra map would fix any issues with removing the Exh Servo motor\control unit?

Anyway for the home mechanic to find out what that warning light means\is for\way to re-set it?

Pics when I get home.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 pm

I finally had a chance to see if de-cating the bike, and adding the AR link pipe and St Range High Mount Exh would fix the driveability issues like I thought it would. While on the stands testing in my basement the other night the bike idles nicely, the throttle was crisp and instant.

So today the torrential rains finally let up and I was able to test the bike, whelp the driveability issues are still there. Bike won't throttle cleanly, cuts out like it wants to dies, then catches its revs, basically no power whatsoever.

I know I have not gone the typically conventional route, instead getting the Akrapovic Map installed at delivery and before actually putting on a hi flow exh. system however the driveability issues were from day one, and now with what I thought would fix those issues not fixing them, I'm scrambling for my next step?

I am still waiting for delivery of the Stage 3 SAS removal from Rottweiler Performance, and am very close to pulling the trigger on their Stage 4 Full Intake Kit, all in an attempt to fix this driveability issue. I know the bike is fuel injected but the best way for me to describe this is the bike isn't Carbureting cleanly...Its almost like a 2 stroke that's fouling plugs.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm

They may loaded the wrong map. Or the exhaust valve is messing everything up. You should go back to total stock to make sure the base bike is fine. Get all your parts together and after break in do all nods at once.
2015 SDR 1290

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm

The Cat, which has the Exh valve in it, along with the Black Box and all associate cables and wiring are gone, removed them when I put in the Link Pipe and the Hi Mount AR Exhaust.

I'm waiting for the Lead service tech to call me back. The Salesman stated he's unsure if the bike is "Adaptive" and needs time to learn the new system? I've never read anything about this 17 being able to do that? Has anyone here? Salesman does think there is an issue, as it ran like this from the get go however he's not a tech, and in fairness I've done things backwards.

To go back to stock would require me having them reflash the ECU, then me putting all of the Exh back on including the Servo Box and Cables, not insurmountable but WTF....

Still waiting on Rotti to call me back. I called an inquired why my SAS hasn't shipped yet, dude seemed less than capable of answering my question and told me he'd call me back. I didn't want to talk about their Intake Kits but I do not think I was speaking to Chris, so that will have to wait.

Ugh

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Dude you been hanging around the "inmatez" too long...multiple threads same issues.
The ECU should be no different than most other modern ecu's from the last few years on bikes...it is constantly "learning", it's why we have all these friggin sensors.

You rode the bike with a FI map that wasn't ideal, to the rest of the setup of bike, and it (ECU) was trying​ to adapt to those conditions.
Now you ride the bike with different setup, but same mapping, which had already began to adapt to the setup you rode the bike with initially, and expected instantaneous​ love? It's not like the old carburetor days, and ignition advance rotors, you could swap jets and a 5° advanced rotor, and all was good.
I imagine there's a good chance, your dealer will be hesitant to help, without some charges, and bringing the bike to them.
Soooo....
Try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes.
Once you've done that reconnect, but DO NOT START the bike, until you are ready to ride it for at least 30 minutes, WITHOUT cutting it off. Be sure to throttle through as much rpm range as possible. The fans should cycle through several times, and by the end of this exercise your bike should have adapted to the new parameters garnered from a steady intake from all it's sensors, vs what the ECU mapping parameters are set.

Short rides, that don't cycle the fans, will not help the ECU adapt to changes such as all this unorthodox changes you continue to make.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you for that highly informative reply and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I've been hanging around the inmates for too long.

Ok, off to disconnect the Batt and let it sit for a bit, then take it for a long ride

Kit from Rotti are 1 and 2 weeks out respectively.

Thanks

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Fry wrote:Thank you for that highly informative reply and suggestions. I really appreciate it
Thanks
Supposedly disconnecting the battery on the KTM is a backdoor method of resetting/clearing adaptations in it's ECU.
Usually once they are cleared, each time the vehicle is started and ran until the FAN(s) cycle on then off, at least once, the ECU is beginning to adapt.
If you'd not done ANYTHING to the bike (mapping), you would have noticed a difference in the behavior of the Fuel Injection from mile 1 to mile 1000.

If the battery trick doesn't work after a healthy ride, in so much you don't feel significant improvement, you might end up going to the dealer and asking them to reset/clear adaptations in the ECU, via their KTM diagnostic equipment, and you will then have to ride the bike like I described in the last post, again.

If you notice during your ride today, an improvement, even if it doesn't border on perfection, but you definitely notice it is "clearing it's throat", then I wouldn't bother with dealer and KTM diagnostic.
Keep riding the bike, every chance you get, until you've got around 500 miles, for no less than 30 minutes a clip without turning the engine off, and matters should improve.
Last edited by 5150 Pops on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Fry wrote:Thank you for that highly informative reply and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Thanks
You're welcome.
Take a few deep breaths, once in awhile, and ride that bitch!

Hope the crap I recycled to you helps.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Disconnecting just the Pos (Red) lead is sufficient enough, correct?

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Fry wrote:Disconnecting just the Pos (Red) lead is sufficient enough, correct?
One would hope.
Btw, do u still have the triangle present in the dash, or were you able to confirm it was caused by that aftermarket taillight/signal assembly?

I was hesitant to offer what has been offered to me over the years, because you have soooo many "irons in the fire" at one time.
If the aftermarket taillight thing didn't cause your issue, then you could have a whole other issue, and riding it could make it worse.