Savman
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Year: 2016
Colour: White

Re: Full Akro exhaust.

Post by Savman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Can you run the full Akrapovic system without the mapping, at least for a couple of hundred miles, anyone know for certain, will it do any damage?

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:37 pm

I would think not, but who knows until someone tries it and destroys their engine?

I got my map put on today (still stock exhaust) in preparation for install (myself). If it's a matter of having to get it done before or after install, do it before.

I did notice a slight improvement in the throttle. A little smoother. And it was definitely running richer, as expected. More pops & burbles than normal, and at one point that smell of a rich engine.

Not surprisingly, there were issues getting the map put on. When the tech went into grab the file, there we no files. They spent about an hour and a half on hold with KTM, then got it done in like 20 minutes once they were able to get someone :x

Basically they said some kind of problem pops up everytime they do it. By the way, no issues about legality, they even said it's an "EPA map" which I don't think it right, but whatever. Time to get wrenching!

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 am

do you have a copy of the work order with the new map number listed. im interested to see what it is, and what mine will be,
2015 SDR 1290

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc

Post by Freude am Fahren » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 am

Just saw this. I'll take a look next chance I get. I gave them the part number for the full system (as well as the "kit" version with the K&N and SAS plates, in case the first one didn't work). They said that's how they get the map, based on the part no.

I've only heard of two maps for the 1290, stock and Akra (for the full system). And I'm sure there are different versions of each depending on region. I was surprised the tech referred to it as an "EPA Map". I'm not sure that was right. Maybe some other bikes have additional EPA approved maps available.

Anyway, got it all installed, and did the suggested 10 minute idle. Oddly the rear cylinder turned color before the 10 minutes was up, but the front didn't change at all. I'm gonna throw a temp gun on it in the next couple days.

Some other interesting things I noticed:

-The instructions call for 10 Nm less torque on the head bolts than the service manual (15 vs. 25). I don't know why, it's not like Ti is soft :). I went in the middle with 20 since it barely felt like they were on at 15, and my smaller torque wrench tops out at 21.

-The slip fits always worry me about leaks as they never seem very tight, especially the can to pre-silencer one, which only has one spring. I actually tried feeling the joints for leaks immediatly after starting it up. never realized how quickly it heats up. Burnt myself after about 10 seconds (it was completely cold at start-up from sitting over night.).

-With the rear O2 sensor being so much closer to the port than the front one, do I need to worry about the AFR front to rear?

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Some good questions and points. 1. Never heard of any Ktm map called an EPA map. Maybe he said Evo. Header flange torque being less is maybe a variation in head temps or flange thickness. Rear cylinder heating up faster while sitting still is interesting as without air flow I would think they would be fairly close in temp. I'm still waiting for mine to be installed.
2015 SDR 1290

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc

Post by Freude am Fahren » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Didn't see any kind of code or part no. for the map itself, by the way.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 pm

found this.

part numbers look right and it says complete. this might be the evo map number
2015 SDR 1290

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc

Post by Freude am Fahren » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 am

Looks like it might be a Euro version though based on the (EU) in the middle of the filename. Anyway, if they set up the KTM hardware with those options (complete EVO system with part numbers), it should be good to go.

Anyway, was able to finally go out and ride tonight, with the exhaust and the Rotty airbox, it's like a whole new bike! Sounds amazing, much more punch in the low and mid (might be more from the airbox, but the exhaust compliments it well).

Also threw a infrared thermometer on the headers, and they're about the same temp, but something I noticed, the first few inches of the front head almost seem like a different material, or coating. It seems like a rougher material, and doesn't change color. After that it's changing color just like the rear.

abc
500cc
500cc
City: Somewhere
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Post by abc » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 pm

the first section of the front header is cast titanium and not fabricated pipe like the rest. heat transfer will be different.

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc

Post by Freude am Fahren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 am

Make sense, thanks.

Maybe I made a mistake autotuning this bike. Trying to get a full RPM pull is tough. 3rd gear lifts the front too easy, 4th goes up to like 130mph :lol: