Cheap Exhaust

675cc
675cc
City: Taralga
Year: 2015

Cheap Exhaust

Post by 1290 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 am

Was at our local ride spot the other day and a guy showed up with his own home made exhaust. Basically removed the pipe and ran it straight out of the collecter box with a slash cut pipe about a foot long. Looked ok, sounded even better and cheap as chips. He states no tunning problems at all.

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc
City: Pori
Year: 2014

Re: Cheap Exhaust

Post by ilmothefinn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:21 am

Yes, why not... But how did he explore the mixtures? No problem might be a problem lurking around the corner...

Yes, the cat itself is a really good silencer, the rest does no that much to sound level. And because there is only a small db-eater like pipe in the end can so it might not do so much harm when removed... Easily tested, just take the end can off and run engine... But, the cat has chambers (there are pictures somewhere as someone opened it and did mods) and it might not be best for gas flow.

So, I thought a pipe with smooth curves - maybe something like a bodis decat-pipe (I read somewhere they tested with a straight one but it lost torque on low revs, who knows...) could be part of the answer. By itself it is maybe too loud (well I forgot to assemble the end can AND Bodis, had to test bikes and there was a nice day... the whole part of the neighbourhood said HI!), so I though to cut small holes in order to make it a perforated inner pipe, then wrap it in silencer wool and weld an outer shell from maybe stainless... But, there are some issues for me, like what kind of stainless, how to get it in nice form and how to learn to weld so well I could look at it...

Have an old Chevy with olds engine, did a silencer to it with that principle - it is really good. And it is under the car, not so visible... But that has low compression and revs, so it is another thing... High comp/revs, it barks more.

But, you may have whatever results because if you do an individual set-up so no one has tested that particular one and no one takes the responsibility. If you run rich mixture and something happens, like gas gets into oil, poor lubrication causes premature wear - or if you run poor mixture and something like valves get too hot and burned...
Do like the others do, you end up being like the others, so... Never search appreciation. I learned that the one who is bullied/shunned/incarcerated is the one who is different and so also maybe somehow interesting.

fattraxx
125cc
125cc
City: phoenix
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by fattraxx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:02 am

I picked up a chrome tip from Autozone for under $10.
I looks ok and will do for now until I decide on which mide pipe and slip on to go with.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney

Post by NiteKreeper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 pm

I always thought this bike should have a belly-pan exhaust - seems like a shame to build a beautiful single-sided-swingarm and then hide it behind a can...

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 pm

I couldn't agree more
2015 SDR 1290

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney

Post by NiteKreeper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Excellent.
Now go find yourself a XB12 or similar, graft the exhaust and let us know how it turns out.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc
City: NSW NORTH COAST
Colour: Black

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 am

A BMW S1000RR muffler does the job quite nicely with a custom made DB killer & a (58mm) Akra slip in hi flow 200 cell catalytic converter

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 am

The Mivv Speed edge was a serious contender until I realized the un-baffled diameter is the same as the stock can with the baffle in! I couldn't even tell any sound differential with a back-to-back sound check.

Such a shame because it's such a handsome can and quite cheap ($455). Would look sick on a Black SDR.

So I've gone onto pestering AR for a GP3 V3 that will fit onto the stock Cat. They only sell it with their De-cat. The Gp1's are just too short and raspy for my liking. The V3 is a good length (250mm) which is conducive to better low frequency pulses and quieter operation.

Their prices are quite good too. Less than half of what they charge for the Akra slip-on. Though it may require a custom link-pipe, which is not bad news because that means I can customize the sound by adding a cut or two.

The exhaust itself looks pretty damn sexy to me.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc
City: NSW NORTH COAST

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 am

Stark wrote: So I've gone onto pestering AR for a GP3 V3 that will fit onto the stock Cat. They only sell it with their De-cat. The Gp1's are just too short and raspy for my liking. The V3 is a good length (250mm) which is conducive to better low frequency pulses and quieter operation.

Their prices are quite good too. Less than half of what they charge for the Akra slip-on. Though it may require a custom link-pipe, which is not bad news because that means I can customize the sound by adding a cut or two.

The exhaust itself looks pretty damn sexy to me.
Just curious by what you mean customize the sound by adding a cut or two?

Honestly not much point fitting anything behind the stock cat, have you tried running just the stock cat alone without a muffler behind it?

Removing the cat drops quite a bit of weight too!

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Woot!

Things were looking pretty grim as far as the V3 into stock Cat was concerned, but after a lengthy discussion with several people at AR (one of which said it couldn't be done) I finally got onto a chap that sorted it all out in short order.

Put the order through already. Great prices too. Less than half the cost of an Akra slip-on! :D