Supporter
City: sydney
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: Aftermarket exhaust pipes for the 1290

Post by Stark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:00 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:
Stark wrote:
dflowers wrote:Short video of sound with no muffler and with Akra. Done with phone so not great. Also done in the garage. Outside would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iulIz-B2uw
That sounded epic. The soft roll-on made my ears jizz themselves. If only you could get a similar sound out of a baffled shorty.

This is the only thing I've found similar to your no-pipe sound, which is just a tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3FSvDx ... =bursigcom

Love the sound, but I don't hate my neighbors that much. :twisted:
They are 2 totally different exhausts in them videos, not sure how you found them to be similar??? dflowers is an Akrapovic system without the muffler & the video you linked is the stock cat with a useless piece of pipe on the end of it, would have only been fitted for looks & does nothing at all to the sound

My baffled (DB killer fitted) S1000RR Akrapovic muffler is a bit louder than running just the stock cat
Without a DBkiller it makes my 1290 sound like a drag car....way too loud
Like I said, "It's just a Tip" Just like having no exhaust, like in Dflowers video. I'm not sure how you didn't find the sound similar. But everyone's got different hearing I guess.

Awesome sound, but just too loud.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc
City: NSW NORTH COAST
Year: 2015

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 pm

What I am trying to explain is the second video with the stock exhaust system removing the muffler does bugger all to the sound because the catalytic converter is very restrictive & it suppresses about 95% of the sound
They are 2 totally different exhaust systems so of course they are going to sound different, as mentioned one is a complete Akrapovic exhaust system which has 65mm pipe diameter with no catalytic converter in the front/midpipe & the other is a stock system with the rear muffler removed & the catalytic converter still fitted which restricts most of the sound, so removing the stock muffler & fitting a crappy useless bit of pipe on the catalytic converter on a stock system is not like having no exhaust

Im guessing you are still running the stock exhaust system??? try removing the rear muffler & go for a ride (takes about 5 minutes), sounds a bees dick deeper but not really louder at all

I think because you see the muffler has been removed you automatically think it would sound like it has no exhaust but in actual fact it is still very quiet with the stock cat fitted, probably too hard to explain if you have not heard them in person but I can assure you they sound worlds apart them 2 videos

Stark
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Stark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:56 pm

I think you need to take your earplugs out lol. In the Auspuff video, all he did was remove the stock exhaust and put the Tip on, again massive difference in sound. I can hear it quite easily since he does it back-to-back.

I am also fully aware of Dflowers setup. The Auspuff sounds just as beefy and deep as his De-cat with no exhaust.

It's a night/day difference to my ears. Might be my $400 headphones lol.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Take the rear mufflers completely out of the equation (bursigcom's is stock changed to silly tip & Dflowers is 65mm ID Akra) do you really think the stock cat (bursigcom's) with a 400 cell super restrictive catalytic converter is going to be louder than the 65mm ID Akra mid pipe (Dflowers) which is basically straight through with no restriction at all???

Stock cat (bursigcom's) which forces the exhaust flow to change direction 180 degree twice which is the basic design of a triple flow muffler, the restricted stock cat internal design alone will change the sound drastically even without the 400 cell cat inside it
>>http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=23698

I think your $400 earphones are way overpriced & you are just hearing static maybe lol, I build PC's & HTPS's & I am listening to the youtube videos through a $2000 5.1 surround sound system (130W per channel receiver) with 4x1m tall tower speakers & a 12" powered subwoofer connected to my $2000 HTPC that has a $300 sound card installed, this is my lounge room setup connected to a 60" LED 3D TV which I am typing this reply on via a keyboard n mouse on the coffee table

The Akra Evo system as mentioned has a straight through 65mm resonator, I was unable to find the pic showing the internals but it has no restriction at all unlike the stock cat, that & the fact that the Evo system runs larger headers also, I am an automotive exhaust fitter / welder but that means jack as a bicycle mechanic could tell you the Evo resonator is obviously going to put out way more decibels than the stock cat simply due to the very different internal design of them both as shown in the pics

Last edited by SUPERDUKEINOZ on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:48 pm

This is an Akra Evo mid pipe / resonator, there is no way at all the stock cat will be just as loud or even sound similar to this, totally different internal design, it is just basically a 65mm bit of pipe which really would not drop much sound at all in this little short resonator type setup>

Stark
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Stark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:59 pm

You got issues dude. You haven't told me anything I don't already know. Not sure what you were expecting to achieve. I'm sorry, but your attempt to make some silly argument does in no way affect my perception of what something sounds like, which in itself is totally subjective.

I'll say it again: Auspuff Tip sounds just as awesome as Dflowers system with no exhaust. It's unfortunate that you have a problem with that, but that's just the way it is. Guess it's one of those things you'll have to deal with. :?

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:11 pm

I rode mine around for a few months with no rear muffler (without any useless little tip) its quiet as, no way would you get away with riding it with just the Evo resonator here in OZ if you got pulled over

Might sound just as awesome through tiny little speakers on your ears but if you actually heard it in real life the Akra Evo without the rear muffler would make your ears bleed where as the stock system with the rear muffler removed sounds pretty much stock & very quiet really, anyone will tell you changing anything behind the stock cat is pointless & a waste of time really as it does not change the sound or flow stuff all

There is no argument for me, the Evo setup with no muffler would be about 30-40 decibels louder than running the stock cat with no muffler, just the facts regardless of how you interpret the actual sound

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Ha read the comments in the bursigcom (Auspuff means exhaust in German) video>

Joshua Johnson1 month ago
the bike doesn't change in db levels at all by changing out the tip. even with it completely off it doesn't do anything. where the bikes getting muffled is that big 15 catalytic converter under the bike.

Joshua Johnson1 week ago
i own the bike. so i know, the slip on does nothing for sound.

Stark
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Stark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:31 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote: There is no argument for me, the Evo setup with no muffler would be about 30-40 decibels louder than running the stock cat with no muffler, just the facts regardless of how you interpret the actual sound
You're right, there is no argument here, yet here you are trying to fabricate some non-contextual argument.

I'd like you to quote where I said either exhaust option was louder ? Oh right! that was just another figment of your argumentative brain trying it's hardest to form a silly argument without any context at all regarding what was actually said. You sure got that point across...

I'm done with you dude, lay off the roids, or whatever it is that's giving you PMS.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:43 pm

My only point was they dont sound anything alike (especially in person, through poxy earphones well I dont know?) but that also must be another figment of my argumentative brain
Like I said there is no argument/s its just the facts as you agreed the DB levels would not be the same, nowhere near it actually
Take it easy mate but lay off the earphones, im glad industrial deafness is not contagious lol

675cc
675cc
City: Taralga

Post by 1290 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 am

I run the stock cat with no rear muffler and it is loud you put the muffler back on and its as quiet as a church mouse. After looking at dyno figures the stock cat flows well for what it is. If you want a cheap pipe with a good sound I would go with the stock cat with bodgey tip and PC dynoed to suit. I mean it would not be as good as the full Akro but costs no where near as much plus you get that open wheel look. Personaly I think the Akro looks crap compared to the high AR. But its about personal taste, I have put my money into suspension not silly overpriced exhsust systems.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

If you were to do the same as in remove the cat & fit a decat link pipe with the stock muffler still fitted you will find in terms of actual decibels it will be way louder or I should say actually loud, about 85+% of the flow restriction & noise suppression on the 1290 Superduke comes from the catalytic converter, it is a known fact

A 400 cell catalytic converter in any way does not flow well, it does flow but not real well at all, it is a pollution bullshit device fitted to restrict flow & reduce emissions

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton

Post by JDS1290SDr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Ill add my 2c. I bought my 1290 used. It had the Akra/KTM slip on(Db removed) with the OEM CAT. Not a bad sound, kinda quiet. I removed the Slip-on just for the hell of it. It may have been slightly louder, but by no means loud.
I then bought & installed the Arrow mid pipe. Fired it up. That was loud. Installed the Akra slip-on. It still was loud. Installed the Db killer. That knocked a few Dbs off(as it should) but it still has a decent bark.
What do U mean the Akras look like shit? :shock: I think it looks ok. But, the AR hi slung looks excellent. Over priced, YES. Will anyone sell me one cheap ? :)
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 pm

took 12 pages to get all the way back around, I need to get back to work.
Enjoy

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter
City: Maryville
Year: 2017

Post by WarBaby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Here is a slip-on Austin Racing GP1R on my `17 SDR with the OEM exhaust flap valve intact. It saves 4 pounds over the OEM muffler and is noticeably louder but not quite obnoxious. Of course, exhaust sound is subjective, but I don't care for hammering, super loud. YMMV. I might keep it or, for more weight savings, move up to an full Ak Evo when the mounting hardware is available for `17's.
AR_slipon1.jpg
AR_slipon3.jpg
AR_slipon4.jpg
AR_slipon6.jpg
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Mike690
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Colour: White

Post by Mike690 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 am

The AR slipon looks good.

How is it mounted? Is there any chance of it working it's way loose?

I am looking for options for a 2017 SD.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:43 am

Mike690 wrote:The AR slipon looks good.

How is it mounted? Is there any chance of it working it's way loose?

I am looking for options for a 2017 SD.
Thanks. :)

It attaches exactly like the factory can with the two-piece, OEM stainless screw clamp but without the bolt connection to the passenger peg which allows me to remove the passenger pegs and reinstall them whenever I want. The AR can weighs almost 4 pounds less than the factory can so there is modest stress on the single-point clamp connection and it is very rigidly mounted but I will check the clamp occasionally to ensure it remains that way. I like it but it is louder than the KTM can.
AR_slipon7.jpg
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Mike690
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Colour: White

Post by Mike690 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the picture. The fit looks sturdy enough.

Might have to shamelessly copy you. 8-)

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Mike690 wrote:Might have to shamelessly copy you. 8-)
Be my guest. :D

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc
City: Gold Coast

Post by Adoligy69 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:50 am

Custom De cat pipe ..ceramic coated from the headers back ..with coke can sized cat put in ..and original heat shield re attached ....
Attachments
SAM_4475.jpg
SAM_4474.JPG