Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Aftermarket exhaust pipes for the 1290

Post by Yoozy » Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 am

There's far to much for this dope to absorb in 20 pages. I want more noise, not crazy but definitely more noise. I put a Mivv can on but it wasn't that much louder than the stock, it popped a bit which was nice. So in simple terms what's needed?

1-can
2-
3-
4-

TIA 8-)
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

jmjenia
125cc
125cc
City: Overland Park
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jmjenia » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm

If you want more noise I'd start with chucking the decat and installing a mid pipe. The stock pipe is louder without the cats, but you could also go with an aftermarket slip-on. If you want even more noise, try an intake. Rottweiler makes a very nice one. I just bought their Stage 4 intake and am waiting for it to be delivered.

675cc
675cc
City: Taralga
Year: 2015

Post by 1290 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 am

Mate the Austin Racing is the loudest pipe period, awesome sound but the laws wont like ya. I think mine is the gp2 r and I dont think they make it any more. Best looking and sounding period. There are some on You Tube.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North

Post by Joe1290 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:38 am

1290 wrote:Best looking and sounding period.
I guess that couldn't possibly be subjective? :lol:

675cc
675cc

Post by 1290 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 am

Mate go to You Tube and listen for yourself , the good thing about the AR is it gets rid of the collector in one foul swoop with the slip on. I was going to get rid of mine cause I thought it was to loud then seen and heard the guy on You Tube and said to my mate is that what mine sounds like he says hell yea I said fuck I am keeping it.

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 am

Can
Link pipe
Remap?

Edited,
Can fitted but left the link pipe on. It run the same but popped a lot.
Removed SAS and Lambda and let it tick over for 15, and it still ran the same, popping was gone.

Can't be bothered removing the cat so I'm happy with it now. Mivv Suono without baffles out. Sounds like a proper twin and isn't too noisy at all, just about right I reckon.
Last edited by Yoozy on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

675cc
675cc

Post by 1290 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:57 am

With mine no link pipe requried, but need a re-map. The good thing about my AR it makes it look like the rear end is floating and the rear wheel looks like its not attached to anything.

LenFerguson
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by LenFerguson » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:35 am

Verners wrote:
LenFerguson wrote:Have installed the Arrow mid pipe with the Cat. Went ahead and ceramic coated the headers and mid pipe Blk. Looks awesome I reckon

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/14/906a0078279aa4e23e850294597e966b.jpg[/img]
I notice that you have removed the SAS. I was under the impression that if you are using a cat, better leave the SAS on. Or is it not the case?

How did the sound change with the Arrow cat? I am running catless at the moment, but I dislike the smell. The original cat makes the bike sound like there is a potato in the muffler, so that is going back only for inspection.

It won't be too much of a problem with the small cat within the arrow. It generally gets ridden hard when I take it out and if it needs attention it would be easy to clean if needed. But with the amount of k's I do on it I don't think that I will ever have to clean it.
Current stable: KTM1290SDR(14), KTM1190ADVENTURE(14), BMWS1000RR(12), KTM690R(12), Husky TE250(13)

Previously loved: KTM990SMT(11), WR450F(10), F800GS(09), KLR650(08), KTM450EXC(05) FJR1300(04), KTM200EXC(03), XR400(03), CBR1000F(90), XR600(88), KR1(86)

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc
City: NSW NORTH COAST

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:01 am

steve12lear wrote:I'd like somebody to make a exhaust the same shape and size as the Cat? Would that be so hard??
That would be ideal, I looked at lots of different options & came up with this>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVW-ZhIPkAk

Shmee
125cc
125cc
City: Victoria

Post by Shmee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:57 am

Hello, New guy here who is about to pull the trigger on a New-Old-Stock Black 2015 1290 R in the next week or two, and I have been reading and reading trying to figure out what Exhaust option to go with...

Now I have searched all over the net, and on this site as well, but does nobody have the Carbon Yoshimura pipe on their duke?
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/product/ktm ... 0e0220.asp

I have been a big fan of Yosh pipes on a number of other bikes, but from what I have found, absolutely no love for them from the Super Duke crowd?

Right now, it's a toss-up between the Comp Werkes Exhaust in Velvet Black (if they still make it as it is not listed on their site anymore) and a Yoshimura Carbon R-77 with an Aero or Remus Link-pipe. I'll be adding a lot of Carbon to the bike over time and keeping with the mostly blacked out look, so the Yosh can is sort of the front runner in keeping with that theme. But the Comp Werkes exhaust would allow me to go with the CW Limited Fender Eliminator, unless I can find a way to make it work with the stock passenger pegs or an aftermarket exhaust hanger.

I'm curious if anyone has pics and/or video of a Carbon Yosh can on a Black Duke.

Cheers
Mitch

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 am

mmm yes exactly the correct wording....no love for the Yoshimura, a Japanese exhaust on a euro bike come on! the fact that they look hideously huge on the 1290 does not help either, they might sound OK with a de-cat link pipe fitted but there is lots of other options out there that would surely weigh a lot less too
I read somewhere that someone had one fitted on a 1290 Superduke & it blew apart at the seems or rivets, pretty poor for a rather expensive product
They do make some nice exhausts but I have never been a fan of Yoshimura at all, to me they have always been just a bling item that people fit to be like their mates

I did come across the Yoshimura to suit the BMW S1000RR which looks very similar to the Akrapovic BMW muffler I fitted (above), not sure how one of these would go but the clamp on fitting would be the same, simply cut a link pipe & clamp it on>

675cc
675cc

Post by 1290 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 am

The AR gp2r is very short and replaces the cat at the same time but I dont think AR make it anymore.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:13 am

Yeah I sold my Hi slung Austin Racing setup to make the Akra setup which has 58mm internals the same as the link pipe, nothing to do with brands or anything I just much prefer to keep the muffler internals the same size as the link pipe

+ a few people have the Austin Racing setup, being an automotive exhaust fitter/welder & a fussy prick I like to do things that are different, mine is the only one in the world so far with a genuine BMW (Akrapovic) muffler fitted, there is one other person that has an Akrapovic version, same muffler basically but it has the typical red & yellow Akra logo which really does not look good on the black & orange Superduke to me
Last edited by SUPERDUKEINOZ on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DukeNukem
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cork

Post by DukeNukem » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:52 am

Shmee wrote:Hello, New guy here who is about to pull the trigger on a New-Old-Stock Black 2015 1290 R in the next week or two, and I have been reading and reading trying to figure out what Exhaust option to go with...

Now I have searched all over the net, and on this site as well, but does nobody have the Carbon Yoshimura pipe on their duke?
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/product/ktm ... 0e0220.asp

I have been a big fan of Yosh pipes on a number of other bikes, but from what I have found, absolutely no love for them from the Super Duke crowd?

Right now, it's a toss-up between the Comp Werkes Exhaust in Velvet Black (if they still make it as it is not listed on their site anymore) and a Yoshimura Carbon R-77 with an Aero or Remus Link-pipe. I'll be adding a lot of Carbon to the bike over time and keeping with the mostly blacked out look, so the Yosh can is sort of the front runner in keeping with that theme. But the Comp Werkes exhaust would allow me to go with the CW Limited Fender Eliminator, unless I can find a way to make it work with the stock passenger pegs or an aftermarket exhaust hanger.

I'm curious if anyone has pics and/or video of a Carbon Yosh can on a Black Duke.

Cheers
Mitch
The US made Yoshimura kit never does it for me!
Although I had a full r77 system on a cbr1000 a few years back and was great for that bike!
However that carbon Yoshimura US made one for the 1290 looks huge!!
Too big for a relatively small(in size) bike IMO

Shmee
125cc
125cc
City: Victoria

Post by Shmee » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah, I was actually thinking of cutting the muffler in half to shorten it for looks an a little less sound absorption... It definitely does stick out a lot!

However, I think I'll just end up with the Newly redesigned Competition Werkes exhaust once they are done with it. They will also be producing a PCV map for the exhaust.

stwil
50cc
50cc
City: Łódź

Post by stwil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Hello Guys,

At the beggining sorry if topic has been repeated and if is putted incorrectly.

My KTM1290SDR'15 has new exhust - slipon only but sounds awesome :) :twisted:

My dealer loaded new akra map
but unfortunately without dBk I've been overtaken by old yamaha ...600 what made me angry.
I have no idea what is wrong (my dealer is not able to help me - I've suggested them that maybe similar as with my previous KTM, this one needs second map for throttles? - but he is not able to answer me because on the PC ther is only load button and nothing more )

Any idea guys, for Your information the "IT" has been built based on the movie and comments on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZozaFu4 ... L&index=23
so why my is weaker :?

Have a nice day

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Can you tell me where you bought the muffler? it does not look anything like a genuine Akrapovic muffler, im sure it will work just as good but it certainly looks like a cheaper fake Akrapovic muffler

Aside from that I dont know what exactly what the problem is? (what is the DBK you mention? Decibel Killer?) sounds to me like you simply need to try another dealer, have they loaded the re-map correctly & it is 100% the correct map?

Genuine BMW S1000RR Akrapovic with a baffle / DB killer installed>

stwil
50cc
50cc
City: Łódź

Post by stwil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:26 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Can you tell me where you bought the muffler? it does not look anything like a genuine Akrapovic muffler, im sure it will work just as good but it certainly looks like a cheaper fake Akrapovic muffler

Aside from that I dont know what exactly what the problem is? (what is the DBK you mention? Decibel Killer?) sounds to me like you simply need to try another dealer, have they loaded the re-map correctly & it is 100% the correct map?

Genuine BMW S1000RR Akrapovic with a baffle / DB killer installed>

muffled has been delivered by guy who made the pipe connection - I'm not sure it is a fake or not but sounds delicious :)
anyway
yes I've meant db killer and a problem is that my bike has less power without it - I'm sure it shouldn't has

I've also visited the the another one but there has only the main map...so You can imagine what I feel :)

BTW
Do You know what map has been load on Your bike and how Your dealer did it?

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:07 am

dflowers wrote:Short video of sound with no muffler and with Akra. Done with phone so not great. Also done in the garage. Outside would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iulIz-B2uw
That sounded epic. The soft roll-on made my ears jizz themselves. If only you could get a similar sound out of a baffled shorty.

This is the only thing I've found similar to your no-pipe sound, which is just a tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3FSvDx ... =bursigcom

Love the sound, but I don't hate my neighbors that much. :twisted:

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:18 am

Stark wrote:
dflowers wrote:Short video of sound with no muffler and with Akra. Done with phone so not great. Also done in the garage. Outside would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iulIz-B2uw
That sounded epic. The soft roll-on made my ears jizz themselves. If only you could get a similar sound out of a baffled shorty.

This is the only thing I've found similar to your no-pipe sound, which is just a tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3FSvDx ... =bursigcom

Love the sound, but I don't hate my neighbors that much. :twisted:
They are 2 totally different exhausts in them videos, not sure how you found them to be similar??? dflowers is an Akrapovic system without the muffler & the video you linked is the stock cat with a useless piece of pipe on the end of it, would have only been fitted for looks & does nothing at all to the sound

My baffled (DB killer fitted) S1000RR Akrapovic muffler is a bit louder than running just the stock cat
Without a DBkiller it makes my 1290 sound like a drag car....way too loud