Anthony
125cc
125cc
City: Baltimore
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Full Akro vs. Akro Slip-on and Arrow mid pipe vs. KTM Side Bags

Post by Anthony » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm new to the forum after picking up a left over 2017. I managed to put on the break in miles in the past couple weeks despite the weather up here in the North East.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the exhaust. I'm willing to lay down the money for the Evo full system, but it's incompatible with the KTM Side Bags.

I run errands on my bike daily and do light touring during the summer. I've looked at other bag solutions, such as the Wolfman Beta Plus Rear Bag. I want something I can throw loose items in and get on and off the bike easy, however. I don't like messing with straps and the Beta is better suited for longer trips instead of carrying around loose items. I like the look of the KTM bags and I'm pretty sure I want to stick with those.

I'm considering the Akro Black Titanium slip-on with an arrow mid-pipe and a Rottweiler airbox. A local dealer will load the full Akro map with this setup and even said they'd help with the intake installation and SAS removal. How would this setup compare to the full system?

I'm primarily interested in increasing throttle response and smoothing out the torque and power curves, especially at lower rpms. I don't want a setup that is too loud, just with a broader, deep rumble. I've read that the full Akro system is just that. Would the arrow mid pipe be louder, or somewhere in between the full system and stock? I don't want anything obnoxious.

I've also considered just installing the slip-on and air box, but leaving the cat. But I don't think loading the Akro map would be appropriate in this case?

Thanks
Last edited by Anthony on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Full Akro vs. Akro Slip-on and Arrow mid pipe

Post by Spiff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:59 am

Check out these bags. Don't know how they interact with an Akrapovic, but they tick all of my boxes. If I buy saddlebags this is what I'll do.

https://youtu.be/BKGGmjvlCgI

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Post by mrossk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 am

Both Hepco Becker and SW Motech make detachable sidebags which are, in my opinion, a) nicer than the KTM bags, and b) fit with the full Akra . Options for you...

martinm
125cc
125cc
City: leicester
Year: 2015
Model: SMT

Post by martinm » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am

hi.dont have the need for any luggage on my bike but did buy the arrow decat mid pipe and ran it with the stock can with and without the baffle in the can. it was loud so put a baffle in the arrow mid pipe.ran it with the akra map loaded.ran well.unfortunately still had the obsession with the akra full system so went ahead and bought one. still loud.as loud as the arrow and stock can.put a baffle in the akra centre silencer, bit quieter now. dont think the akra gives any more power than the other set up BUT it is worth the money just for the look and quality in the system. just bought the rottweiler intake set up and soon the weather here will allow me to play. have fun. 8-)

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 pm

I used a bodis midpipe with the akra slip on and akra map and got slightly different results from my 2015 than my 2016 and I think the 2017 is similar to the 'GT' models in that just swapping the mid pipe and downloading the map will screw things up! if you have the arrow with the small cat built in you maybe allright , BUT I found the with Akra map I had to relearn using the first 3 gears and I decided I didn't need to install the 16t front after all and the torque curve was actually more pronounced on my 15 there was more of a dip around 6k then around 7-8k the front tire was coming up again. My 2016 is smoother with the same mods with the bonus of tighter throttle response and a less noticeable dip in the mid band. The reason I replaced my 2015 with a 2016 instead of the new model was mainly not wanting to deal with euro4 until I have to.
Enjoy