Stator Cover Oil leak

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
OscarFox
125cc
125cc
City: Fallon
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Stator Cover Oil leak

Post by OscarFox » Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 pm

So it seems I have a small leak near wear the stator wires come out of the top side of the engine cover. At least that is where I believe it to be coming from. There is excess oil around the wires and the it will eventually run down the cover and drip underneath.

Does that seem feasible? I did some searching and did not run into any other issues that seem similar...

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Re: Stator Cover Oil leak

Post by Bagsweat » Fri May 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Pic please

OscarFox
125cc
125cc

Post by OscarFox » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Doesn't look like much in the picture, but if I wipe it clean it takes a few rides to collect there again. Could it be collecting there from somewhere else. Having some issues tracing the source...

OscarFox
125cc
125cc

Post by OscarFox » Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 am

Here is another picture after my ride today. There seems to be oil splatter all around the left case. It is covering some of the wires as well that run inside the frame up towards the throttle bodies. I don't think it is a countershaft seal leak..

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Strange.
Lift off the tank and remove the air filter box to see if it´s oily inside. I don´t know why it should be oil inside there... but... just to exclude one "maybe" factor.

I had some oil coming out from somewhere and replaced the shaft seal ring, but that was not the problem.
The copper washer on the bolt above the oil jet was the "guilty" part! Quite interesting how much oil could come out from there and spread at many parts of the bike...

/M
Last edited by Magic Wand on Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OscarFox
125cc
125cc

Post by OscarFox » Mon May 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Theres was a little bit of oil around the breather tube, which is one of the areas that seemed to be collecting oil as well.

I checked the breather tube, only thing that came out was what appeared to be white assembly grease, and there wasn't much of it.

Not sure where to go from here, is there anything else I should check while the tank is off and I've got some access to things?

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA

Post by linehand » Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Maybe give the bike a good wash with a degreaser and then take it out for a romp so you can narrow down where it's coming from...maybe finish the ride on a dusty dirt road. I'm not sure if it's just the picture but it looks like theres oil everywhere.
If indeed it's the stator grommet then that could be a pain to fix. I haven't had mine apart on the smt but usually they're permanently assembled on the stator harness so even if you could find a replacement you'd have to cut and splice to get it on. Not a big deal just something to consider, but it looks like you need to pin point the problem or problems.

OscarFox
125cc
125cc

Post by OscarFox » Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 am

Pretty sure it's coming from the area around the stator wires. Gonna dump the oil and pull the cover and have a look. Luckily it's not a bad leak and I can still ride around while on my vacation before I have to do that.

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA

Post by linehand » Mon May 29, 2017 5:07 am

You might be able to get away with some rtv. Slide the grommet on the wire and clean everything real good, dab on some rtv then slide the grommet back in place. Same on the outside surfaces that contact the case. Might hold you over for awhile anyway.

Superdukeomatic
50cc
50cc
City: Los Angeles
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Post by Superdukeomatic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm

HI OscarFox. I just picked up a 2014 SDR with 3,400 miles in Eugene, Oregon and road it the 1,250 miles to Los Angeles over the course of 3 short days to get acquainted with it. Amazing road bike, wonderful blend of comfort, power, and performance. Also quickly learned on my ride along with some forum snooping that KTM QC is maybe not industry leading. Bike is superb otherwise, I think fixing a few quirks will be worth the price of entry.

My issues are...
#1) Same leak as you experienced (either the stator wire rubber seals or perhaps from the side cover itself between the seals). (see attached pictures). I cleaned the engine with S100 and Engine degreaser and sprayed it white aerosol foot powder to quickly isolate the leak.

(Did you ever find a fix for your leak OscarFox?)

#2) One of the mounting castings for the taillight assembly broke off around the bolt. I've already assessed this is appears to be fairly common as it happened on Motorcyclist's Magazine's long term test unit and to a few people on the forum. My bike is a 2014 so not likely KTM will take care of this as it's no longer in warranty. Anyone of a fix or aftermarket solution?

#3) I get some on/off contact of the front brake pads to the rotors that I can hear and feel at the lever with each slow speed rotation of the wheel. I don't notice any pulsing under fast or hard braking or diminished performance but I have read quite a few people online commenting on warped rotors. Is there an issue with the rotor carriers being misaligned or a good after market rotor solution if mine do get worse and start to really pulse?

Thanks in advance OscarFox for any new info on your oil leak and anyone else for any informed responses. Glad to be a new member of the community and experience my first KTM. (previous street ride was a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S).
Attachments
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG