Hard to start, leaning out

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Hard to start, leaning out

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:52 am

It always pays to go over a mechanics work :)

I did Kev's full fueling mods at the start of last month. I rode it with those mods for about 300km (a few rides). Then I took it to the dealer for it's 30k service. They were that busy, I had to wait a month. Bike was sitting unused for most of that time.

I get the bike back and the assigned mechanic did a really good job. He was a new young mechanic, very friendly and it showed that he had attention to detail. When I got the bike home, I did a quick spanner check (without removing the tank etc). Dealers always like to over tighten the chains (presumably to compensate for most owner's lack of maintenance).. so I like to back it off a bit.

Anyway, over about 4 rides, I noticed the bike getting harder and harder to start. Last week, I went to the movies. It was a hot day, and when I fired it up, it was basically running on 1 cyl for about 20 seconds until it kicked it. Further more, when I would be riding along in 3 or 4th gear and gassit, the engine would ping for about 1-2 seconds. I thought, that's weird !. I've never noticed that before ?. Today, I decided to pull the bike apart, tank off to inspect what the mechanic had done..

Nb/ I got 220km out of a tank without the bingo light coming on !!.. I thought, surely Kev's fuel map can't make the bike run more fuel efficient !, or the fuel level sensor is faulty.

When I went to take the tank off, the tapes were closed tight !. So, the mechanic (when refitting tank) had forgotten to switch the taps back on. So, all the time, the poor fuel pump had been struggling to suck fuel through those closed tapes !

I'm going to ring up the mechanic next week to let him know (not to be nasty or anything.. I like to give feedback, good or bad. Nobody improves if you don't). Lesson learnt is to always go over a mechanic's work, especially during high tempo periods.

I checked the rest of the mechanic's work. All in order, so it was just the tapes he had forgot to switch back on.

The dealer I take my bike to are very good. This is the first dealer induced fault I have ever discovered from them.. and hey, shit happens. It's a busy time for them at the moment what with the strange weather we are having here and everybody wanting their bikes serviced at the same time... so, understandable.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Re: Hard to start, leaning out

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi limey!

I feel envious to you at this time of the year. The WINTER has arrived to Sweden... cooollldd.... brrrr...
Last week there was nearly 40 cm (!) of snow on the streets!
In about... 4 months we are able to "un-dust" our 2-wheelers and start´em up again!

Could you explain exactly what had happened at dealer´s place/workshop? I don´t understand what kind of "tapes" (taps?) the mechanic had forgot to switch back on.

/M

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Hard to start, leaning out

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:18 am

MW

It's getting hot here. I hate riding in hot weather want to swap ? :lol:

The mechanic at the dealer forgot to switch on the fuel tapes connected at each bottom/side of the fuel tank.

However, I have error in my logic above (not sure if you're hinting at this ? hehe). The tapes will only cut off supply to the right side of the tank.

Still.., I figure fuel must have been slopping over from the right hand side to the left hand side as I was riding with the left hand side tank empty or near empty. The engine and the starting problems were definitely caused by fuel starvation. I also noticed the fuel pump making a different noise when starting it up (during the period of the closed tapes). The equalisation line that connects to the two tapes was bone dry when I removed it (normally fuel runs out of it when you disconnect it).