Faulty kill switch

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Faulty kill switch

Post by limeyduffa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 am

I had to use the bike for a few rides over a week to confirm that I had fixed fault. My kill switch was faulty and causing a bizarre start up fault. I don't normally use my kill switch (I power on bike by turning the key). When I would turn the key to ON position, the bike would briefly power up: Tacho would power on, but no sound from relay switches. After tacho deflected the needle, bike would then go dead. This happened a half a dozen times over a period of a few weeks (and on every ride I did). It did it in bad areas of the city. I was worried I would have a break down. Anyway, the confirmed fault is my kill switch. I pulled it apart, gave it a clean, checked for any electrical faults. The assembly is well made, however possibly a bit underrated ?

Since I seldom use the kill switch and with the bike being hardly ridden over the past 3 months due to the bad weather, and now being parked in a wet farmers shed (due to selling my house), It looks like this switch was in a high resistance state when closed. Looking at the schematics, this switch looks like it carries a fair but of current (enough to be effected by fretting/muck etc). It powers a few relays and the cluster. So, I can understand it failing if not used. I guess I have to start using it !

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: Faulty kill switch

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi limeyduffa

I always "work" the switch when parking the bike (not killing the engine by using it though).
(It has happened once or twice I forgot to switch it back when going to start the engine and found out that "nothing" happens when turning the key... :-) )

/M
-

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Faulty kill switch

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:20 am

Looks like it's not just me then :). Pull the switch out and give it a clean with some WD40 or CRC. Give it a work out for about a minute. Should fix the problem.