Pulse generator failed

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Pulse generator failed

Post by ogden » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 am

Ho hum.

Apart from the smoke, and the hilarious oil consumption, the SMT's been pretty reliable since it had all the leaks fixed earlier in the year. Until about a week ago, when it cut out on me riding home from work, and flashed fault code 02 at me (pulse generator circuit failure). I let it sulk for a few minutes, cycled the immobiliser as a precaution, and it fired up and worked fine after that, so I filed it away with all the other little minor tantrums it's had over the years.

Until yesterday, when it did the same thing while warming up in the car park before riding home. Started, ran for a couple of minutes til warm, then cut out. Started, cut out. Started, cut out. Then refused to start, flashing the same fault code. Let it cool down, it starts, wait a bit, it cuts out. So the problem only happens when the engine is warm.

Fortunately I broke down next to a few decent restaurants, so Isent my pillion to the nearest shop for a few cans of beer and called for recovery. The AA sent a mechanic, who listened to my description of the fault, called a mate quickly to confirm, and agreed that recovery would be the only option. No point trying to find a dealer in the evening, so it had to go home. And it was going to be two hours before anyone turned up.

So I dumped the heap of shit on the pavement (next to a KTM pushbike, definitely the more reliable option from Mattighofen) and took my pillion for dinner, as there were a bunch of decent restaurants nearby. Sitting outside with textiles over my suit, with my jacket off, from the waist up I looked like I was in the right place, and from the waist down looked like I should be eating at a burger van in a lay-by off the A21. The waitress and manager took pity, and gave us pudding on the house.

So, anyway, it's home, and it doesn't run for more than a few minutes before conking out. I'm assuming the pulse generator is the crank pickup sensor, the wiring for which disappears into the generator cover on the left hand side, so I'll have a rummage around and see what the resistance is when hot and cold. Other than that, anything else worth checking out? Is it just a case of taking the cover off, replacing the sensor, and reassembling? Easy job on the R6 - I've had to replace the pickup cover on that a couple of times after crashing - but I've not opened up the LC8 before.

And does anyone want to buy a 39k mile, 61 plate SMT that smokes like a chimney? After four and a half years of KTM ownership, I'm starting to think it's time to buy a Yamaha.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
City: manchester
Colour: Black

Re: Pulse generator failed

Post by budgesrsv » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Go on you know it makes sense :lol: Chucked mine in for a MT10 a fortnight ago loving it :D

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by Thirdway » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 pm

budgesrsv wrote:Go on you know it makes sense :lol: Chucked mine in for a MT10 a fortnight ago loving it :D
I'm told the suspension is rock hard on the MT10 ? How does it compare with the SMT. Tank distance. Comfort ?

I like the sound of the engine and the flat plane gives it a bit of character.

One thing I noticed on the SMT the other week, by accident I shoved it into neutral and ended up coasting down the notoriously bumpy cobbled Alston Main Street. Normally I'm fighting the bike like being on a motocross circuit as it bucks backwards and forward, but blow me down, in neutral it was a magic carpet ride. I was doing a steady thirty completely serene. It's the bloody, intractable engine, I mean I definitely get it now, it's like fooling around with a rocket attached to a pushbike, but then, in the moments you just want to get a bit of an easy time, it can be a bit brutal.

Nordic09
250cc
250cc
City: Helsinki

Post by Nordic09 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Mt-10 suspension travel is much shorter and therefore it can never been as good other than smooth surfaces. Other thing was that saddle is probably uncomfortable on longer rides. Motor and handling was very nice. With touring screen and saddle probably very good.

SMT engine and supermoto style frame and suspension is still the best when trying find agile and fun bike with touring cabability. Let's hope my mechanical problems do not hit too often.
KTM SMT 2010 (Rottweiler and map in, secondaries, SAS and O2 off)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2013 (too little torque)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2011 (stolen)
ex Honda CR125 1989
ex Suzuki RG125 1985
ex Yamaha YZ80 1987

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
City: manchester
Colour: Black

Post by budgesrsv » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply ive been on hols :D
Yep the MT10 suspension is rock hard :!: When I first got it I thought I would just ride it before twiddling with things, the suspension was on standard settings. It was tying itself in knots down one of our local bumpy roads :(
After much adjusting ive got it something like ok but the SMT was a magic carpet by comparison. The general consensus is that the rear is under sprung and over damped, the front is over sprung and over damped :o
Ive no doubt things should loosen up a bit after a few more miles as ive only done about 750 up till now but I know of at least one guy who has had a stiffer spring put on the shock.
Other than that theres a couple of other niggles, the brakes aren't brilliant and it guzzles juice with fuel stops at 100 miles, the standard seat is a plank and the pillion pegs are a joke :(
Its worth putting up with the faults though for the engine alone :D

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by Thirdway » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:22 pm

budgesrsv wrote:Sorry for the late reply ive been on hols :D
Yep the MT10 suspension is rock hard :!: When I first got it I thought I would just ride it before twiddling with things, the suspension was on standard settings. It was tying itself in knots down one of our local bumpy roads :(
After much adjusting ive got it something like ok but the SMT was a magic carpet by comparison. The general consensus is that the rear is under sprung and over damped, the front is over sprung and over damped :o
Ive no doubt things should loosen up a bit after a few more miles as ive only done about 750 up till now but I know of at least one guy who has had a stiffer spring put on the shock.
Other than that theres a couple of other niggles, the brakes aren't brilliant and it guzzles juice with fuel stops at 100 miles, the standard seat is a plank and the pillion pegs are a joke :(
Its worth putting up with the faults though for the engine alone :D
Crossed off the list of potential replacements :lol:
My mate has bought a 09 Tracer, he upgraded the suspension K tech rear and some fancy internal from Italy and it bloody flies. It's light, gets 200 miles from a tank riding quickly and according to him it's very comfortable. It's the closest I've seen to a potential replacement and appears very reliable- unlike the BMW XR 1000 beast. Good price too. Maybe not quite as characterful engine wise and a bit boring in the looks department, but definitely one on the list.

Gnosisdog
675cc
675cc
City: San Francisco
Year: 2010

Post by Gnosisdog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:18 am

Why can't Yamaha seem to get suspension right anymore? Waiting for an MT09R or some variant with Ohlins.