SMT Reliability

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
jontymyt
125cc
125cc
City: Finchampstead
Year: 2009
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

SMT Reliability

Post by jontymyt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:54 am

Had my SMT since May, 2009 model with 5.5k miles on it. Bought from a KTM dealer in near mint condition, as you'd expect for the miles.

Awesome bike to ride, love it - hard to see anything which can deliver as much fun and all-round capability (had a blackbird before this) - BUT it's a daily commuter and the number of annoying reliability problems is growing. I've now added 10k miles in about 6 months and replacements needed:

Headset bearings
clutch slave cylinder
clutch push rod (corroded) and it's oil seal replaced
exhaust gasket
oil pressure sensor

It now needs new chain and sprockets (has a scottoiler, so thought the sprockets would have a bit more to give) and has a few other small things need sorting. So nothing that major - but I'll probably need to get something else for commuting if this is typical for SMTs

Be good to get some opinions and what other gremlins are common to the bike (I now know clutch slave cylinders are a weak point)

Thanks all . . .

MotoMike723
500cc
500cc
City: Baltimore, MD
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Re: SMT Reliability

Post by MotoMike723 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 am

12,000 miles on my 2012. Only problem was a leaky water pump gasket.
2012 SMT White
My mods
Akapovic exhaust - baffles removed
SAS block off plates
2nd flies removed
Rottweiler air box
Throttle tamer
Michelin PR3 front and rear
Short/standard stacks
Running Kev's #20 map.

Hellboi
675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara
Year: 2010

Post by Hellboi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:12 pm

I had the fuel pump go out early on, also the lower head bearing seized, wasn't a speck of grease on the thing when I pulled it. Might want to get in there and lube it.
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:03 am

Always sucks sorting a used bike. Most of the issues you listed are in here somewhere.

Make sure you have gone through the full list from the 15k Km service. You will want to drill drain holes in the swing arm and the next time the rear wheel is off pull the chain adjuster bolts and put anti-seize (slip?) on them. Brake fluid change is important. On many models (the SMT is one) the fuel fill cap grows (well, when using US grade fuel) and becomes very difficult to remove. Oh, and that the swing arm was removed and greased.

Used bikes have there own list of failures, and the KTM seems to be particular to being well cared for. Nothing that is too difficult, but it does appreciate regular care.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

jontymyt
125cc
125cc
City: Finchampstead

Post by jontymyt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks - looks like I may have been a touch unlucky, which is good to know. I'll continue to run it through the winter, try some of the suggestions and see how it goes.

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:46 am

Nearly 53,000 km here on my '11. I replaced the slave early on with an 'Oberon', but not because the OEM failed. Other than the fuel cap expanding (easy to repair) I've yet to have a single issue with this bike. It gets ridden hard and often (but never abused) and I'm convinced a bike that sits unriden deteriorates quicker than one that sees daily use and is looked after. Original brake pads, clutch, fork seals, etc. (hard to believe!) The squealing rear brake quieted down as it mated. Replacing a front headlight bulb is a PITA, but it's the only criticism I have of the design.

The only "warning" I would offer has to do with fasteners that can easily strip the soft alloy cases: This is one bike that requires threadlock and a torque wrench, "good-n-tighty" will easily damage threads: I've HeliCoiled two before I learned that lesson!

Have had one valve inspection, did not even need shims (everything within spec.) Bike is bulletproof!

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:02 pm

I've put 31000 miles (50000 km) on mine in just under three years from new, and apart from the first six months of duff alarm induced awfulness, I've had the following:

Gear position sensor failed & replaced under warranty
Swollen filler cap cut down & tank mouth replaced under warranty
Leaking gear sensor o-ring replaced under warranty
Rear brake master cylinder failed & replaced
Chain adjuster bolt seized & sheared, yet to sort that one out
Gear position sensor starting to fail again

None of which is really the end of the world, and not bad given it's seen three British Winters and two continents.

It's also had a set of fuel filters and a new fuel pump fitted while trying to diagnose the alarm problem. Really.

Also got through one (almost two) chain(s), a set of front discs, god knows how many front and rear tyres, and several gallons of Motorex 10W50 between services, but I was expecting that.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Oh, and the fasteners are all, without exception, shit.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

lcjohnny
675cc
675cc
City: Bristol
Colour: Silver

Post by lcjohnny » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 am

Reliable if clattery and easier than a Ducati to work on

Only probs I had in 8000 miles to 18000 miles were
1) leaking clutch slave cylinder - (replaced with Oberon)
2) chain and sprockets at 10,000 (replaced and fitted loobman oiler - only needed to adjust chain 2 times since)
3) 3 sets of tyres PR2 then PR3 then Dunlop Street smart
4) seizing chain adjuster - (Remove, re-tap the threads, put drain holes in the bottom of the swing arm to release 1 pint of water & replace with new adjusters)
5) low charge rate due to short journeys (under 5 mile commute) - use an optimate
6) failing sidestand switch - (fitted an eliminator)
7) 2 headlight bulbs replaced
Jon
-------------------------
Sold it. Got an Aprilia Shiver

terrydel
675cc
675cc
City: Dublin
Year: 2013

Post by terrydel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Bootworks wrote:Nearly 53,000 km here on my '11. I replaced the slave early on with an 'Oberon', but not because the OEM failed. Other than the fuel cap expanding (easy to repair) I've yet to have a single issue with this bike. It gets ridden hard and often (but never abused) and I'm convinced a bike that sits unriden deteriorates quicker than one that sees daily use and is looked after. Original brake pads, clutch, fork seals, etc. (hard to believe!) The squealing rear brake quieted down as it mated. Replacing a front headlight bulb is a PITA, but it's the only criticism I have of the design.

The only "warning" I would offer has to do with fasteners that can easily strip the soft alloy cases: This is one bike that requires threadlock and a torque wrench, "good-n-tighty" will easily damage threads: I've HeliCoiled two before I learned that lesson!

Have had one valve inspection, did not even need shims (everything within spec.) Bike is bulletproof!
Original brake pads after 55k kms?!! Are they made from something Nasa found at Area 51 or what?!!

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:31 am

LOL! I guess I'm from the old school: Don't use brakes much, because they may slow me down!

Seriously, I can't think of the last time I went back for OEM pads: I did in this case, they work so well! Predictably the rear howl is back (only when nearing a full stop) but I'm confident that will disappear in time as it did with the original ones.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Wed May 13, 2015 11:02 am

Bootworks wrote:It gets ridden hard and often (but never abused) and I'm convinced a bike that sits unriden deteriorates quicker than one that sees daily use and is looked after.
I have owned two KTM Vtwins over the past 10 years, and read articles about who and who hasn't had issues with their bikes. I reckon you are right.

My 2012 SMT has been very reliable in the last 3 years I have owned it (Odo: 21000km). I am a weekend rider and it gets moth balled during summer. I'm thinking now I should register it all year, and commute on it and ride it a bit in summer (both which I hate doing). However, last weekend, I was walking past it and by chance, I saw some coolant leaking out the front head cylinder head gasket. It leaked for about 10 minutes.. just a few drops of coolant escaped, and then stopped (the bike had not been ridden for a week due to heavy rain and work commitments). Hasn't leaked again. The bike's in the dealer at the moment. The tech is deciding whether or not to split the cases or monitor. I'm convinced this problem wouldn't have happened if I rode it more.

terrydel
675cc
675cc
City: Dublin
Year: 2013

Post by terrydel » Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

limeyduffa wrote:
Bootworks wrote:It gets ridden hard and often (but never abused) and I'm convinced a bike that sits unriden deteriorates quicker than one that sees daily use and is looked after.
I have owned two KTM Vtwins over the past 10 years, and read articles about who and who hasn't had issues with their bikes. I reckon you are right.

My 2012 SMT has been very reliable in the last 3 years I have owned it (Odo: 21000km). I am a weekend rider and it gets moth balled during summer. I'm thinking now I should register it all year, and commute on it and ride it a bit in summer (both which I hate doing). However, last weekend, I was walking past it and by chance, I saw some coolant leaking out the front head cylinder head gasket. It leaked for about 10 minutes.. just a few drops of coolant escaped, and then stopped (the bike had not been ridden for a week due to heavy rain and work commitments). Hasn't leaked again. The bike's in the dealer at the moment. The tech is deciding whether or not to split the cases or monitor. I'm convinced this problem wouldn't have happened if I rode it more.
Totally agree with you both, leaving a bike idle can be as bad as not looking after a well used bike imho.

roblund6
250cc
250cc
City: Worcester
Year: 2010

Post by roblund6 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:39 am

It's the same with cnc machine tools. If they're left not running 24 - 7, batteries die causing data loss, spindle bearings, axis bearings and linear guides, that are pre-loaded get what we call 'static indentation'. It's a classic case I've seen countless times over the years, so I'd agree, it's the same with not only bikes, but also cars, any type of machinery.