Gear Lever Adjustment (Again....)

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
Fitnessxl
125cc
125cc
City: Epsom
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Gear Lever Adjustment (Again....)

Post by Fitnessxl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi all

I know this has been done before but either I've lost my touch or something ain't right.

Checked this forum, followed the manual: Remove the lever mounting bolt. Remove lever. Replace lever in desired position. Refit bolt. Simple.

Except the lever isn't coming off. Pulled. Pulled some more. And now at a point where only the rubber mallet would give more.

Am I missing something to slide the lever off??

Deepsix
250cc
250cc
City: Winchester
Colour: White

Re: Gear Lever Adjustment (Again....)

Post by Deepsix » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm

The more I read posts like this the more I realise that I must strip lots of bits off and replace them with a copaslip coating sooner rather than later; Wheel spindles, front sprockets etc. It seems that KTM are a bit shy when it comes to assembly lube. A small puller should do the trick, even a cheapish battery terminal/wiper arm one should do it after a bit of WD40.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-BATTE ... 1119204115

Fitnessxl
125cc
125cc

Post by Fitnessxl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Deepsix wrote:The more I read posts like this the more I realise that I must strip lots of bits off and replace them with a copaslip coating sooner rather than later; Wheel spindles, front sprockets etc. It seems that KTM are a bit shy when it comes to assembly lube. A small puller should do the trick, even a cheapish battery terminal/wiper arm one should do it after a bit of WD40.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-BATTE ... 1119204115
Cheers Deepsix. They must be running short. This is on a 2012, 3500 miler, previous owner cherished machine. I may try the gentle tapping and then go for the puller after penetrating with WD.

Reading that back, I'm sure things like that have been said in other forums that don't come up in search history! :?

Deepsix
250cc
250cc
City: Winchester

Post by Deepsix » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 pm

I know that Kaivalagi (Mark) had major issues getting his front sprocket off. Next time I take the rear wheel out the sprocket's coming off too for some good ole copaslipping.

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich
Year: 2011

Post by kaivalagi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Didn't I! In the UK we are up against more than most...our climate / environment is a bit hard on metal compared to the drier parts of the world.

I just make sure whenever something is removed when it goes back in it's got a layer of copper grease on it (if suitable)

Also worth getting the ACF-50 can out and spraying everything (minus discs) with the stuff, I just gave my bike a good wash and "repainted" all the nuts/bolts with the stuff to form a barrier.

I've got to remove the main bolts for my center stand soon to fit a sump guard on, they're not been touched since the bike was new! That's going to be fun I suspect...

The only recommendation I can make when trying to remove stubborn bits and pieces for the first time is to get some decent penetrating oil / "stuff" applied and left for some time before you do something you really regret! I think Kev suggests a mix of oil and acetone (nail polish removed) to really really get into nooks and crannies...whatever you use make sure you don't put it where it don't belong ;)
My other bike is a rocket ;)

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Never could get mine even though it was new, learnt to live with it :roll:

Fitnessxl
125cc
125cc

Post by Fitnessxl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I can't believe it's such a mission. My a GSXR one just lid off!

Doing house up at the mo and garage has no manoeuvring space and ran out of daylight by the time I'd fulfilled my to do list.

ACF-50 and copper has been ordered and will be applied after the next wash. Swear by it for the winter.

I shall persevere and come back. Getting annoyed at missing second tear and grabbing a handful of empty revs.

Cheers for the advice gents. Much appreciated.

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
City: manchester
Year: 2011

Post by budgesrsv » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm

There is a major difference between KTM and Jape bikes, most bikes have a parallel splined shaft which the gear lever clamps around with a pinch bolt. The KTM uses a tapered shaft and lever with the bolt up the centre of the shaft forcing the two together. I found that pulling and wiggling on the end of the gear lever whilst using a pinch bar under the boss eventually released it.

Fitnessxl
125cc
125cc

Post by Fitnessxl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

budgesrsv wrote:There is a major difference between KTM and Jape bikes, most bikes have a parallel splined shaft which the gear lever clamps around with a pinch bolt. The KTM uses a tapered shaft and lever with the bolt up the centre of the shaft forcing the two together. I found that pulling and wiggling on the end of the gear lever whilst using a pinch bar under the boss eventually released it.
Ah. That's right. I remember now. Makes more sense.

Cheers for the tips. Shall be put in to practice alongside the others.

lcjohnny
675cc
675cc
City: Bristol
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver
Model: SMT

Post by lcjohnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 am

budgesrsv wrote:There is a major difference between KTM and Jape bikes, most bikes have a parallel splined shaft which the gear lever clamps around with a pinch bolt. The KTM uses a tapered shaft and lever with the bolt up the centre of the shaft forcing the two together. I found that pulling and wiggling on the end of the gear lever whilst using a pinch bar under the boss eventually released it.
What he said +1 jon
Jon
-------------------------
Sold it. Got an Aprilia Shiver