Keys!!

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
neiljitsu
500cc
500cc
City: Dublin
Year: 2010

Keys!!

Post by neiljitsu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi. I picked up my 11 smt today. It is awesome, but there is only the orange key and a copy. No black keys and no key card.
There has also been a new ignition fitted on it.
So, can I get black keys cut and coded off the orange one or am I done without the key card?

lew-hand-93
675cc
675cc
City: Liverpool
Year: 2012

Re: Keys!!

Post by lew-hand-93 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 pm

The orange key is the master key so don't lose it!!! Go to your nearest dealer and that will sort it

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Keys!!

Post by neiljitsu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

Hi guys, tried to code a new black key off my orange one with no success. I have one copied key that works. Can I code a key off this or am I goosed? On closer inspection my bike has had a new ignition in it at some point.

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm

ok, I got a key cut for bike from a ktm blank. I tried coding this key from the orange key with no luck. what are my options for getting a spare key? I called my ktm dealer and they haven't been very helpful.
Should the orange key start the bike or not? I have had conflicting reports on this one. My bike has had a new ignition in it at some stage, would this be the the cause of the problems? The joys of buying used. :oops:

lew-hand-93
675cc
675cc
City: Liverpool

Post by lew-hand-93 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 pm

The orange key would start the bike but I wouldn't because if you lose it your in trouble.

You should have a card with the key code so you should go to your dealer and tell them to order a key which relates to that code

downunder
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mount Gambier
Year: 2014

Post by downunder » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Don't use the orange key to start it. Been there done that (2010 bike). Didn't end well.
To quote KTM (and Kev when he told me off when I did it :oops: ) "The orange programming key must only be used for activating and deactivating!"
One of the few times in the manual that KTM actually use an exclamation point.
Gone but not forgotten: '74 Honda XL100, '75 Suzi TS100, '76 Suzi T500, '78 Yam XT500, '80 Suzi GSX1100ET, '81 Suzi GSX100EX, '84 Honda VF1000R, '99 Honda CBR900RR, '10 KTM 990SMT

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Keys!!

Post by neiljitsu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 pm

No key card, and the orange key does not start it. The lads I got it off are not ktm dealers, so not familiar. It has a service history but nothing in it about a new ignition.

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by Muppet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm

I think I'd be contacting my local KTM dealer to find out the score on getting the spare key properly coded, as well as getting a new key card as well. Then, when you've found out the cost, go back to the guys you bought it from and ask them to stand the cost. Shouldn't have sold it without the correct keys IMHO.

Cheers
Clive
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Fucking keys :evil: Ktm are telling me I need a new lockset as they couldn't program the spare off the orange one. I have had conflicting reports about the orange key, does it start the bike or not?
New lockset is 485 + 180 to fit.
Still love it. :D

downunder
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mount Gambier

Post by downunder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:59 pm

I assume through all this you have read the manual re:keys?
Have a go at it yourself. I know the KTM dealer has had a go, but you never know. Long winded instructions (could not work how to add attachment).
I guess if this does not work you are up for a new lockset.

Activating/deactivating the ignition key Info
The orange programming key must only be used for activating and deactivating!
If a black ignition key is lost or replaced, the black ignition keys must be activated/deactivated using the orange programming key.
This will also prevent the vehicle from being operated without authorization with the lost black ignition key.
You can activate or deactivate up to four black ignition keys. Only the black ignition keys trained during an activation procedure are
valid. All black ignition keys not trained in the activation procedure are invalid, but can be retrained in a further activation procedure.

Loss of a black ignition key (second black ignition key available):
The following procedure deactivates all activated black ignition keys that are not included in the procedure.
– Press the emergency OFF switch into the ON position .
– Insert the orange programming key in the ignition lock.
– Switch on the ignition by turning the orange programming key to the ON position .
FI Warning lamp (MIL) lights up, switches off, and then starts to flash.
Immobilizer indicator lamp lights up.
– Switch off the ignition by turning the orange programming key to the OFF position .
– Pull out the programming key.
– Insert the black ignition key in the ignition lock.
– Switch on the ignition by turning the ignition key to the ON position.
Immobilizer indicator lamp lights up, switches off briefly, and lights up again.
– Switch off the ignition by turning the ignition key to the OFF position.
– Remove the black ignition key.
– Switch on the ignition by turning the orange programming key to the ON position .
Immobilizer indicator lamp lights up, switches off briefly and flashes;
the number of flashes equals the number of functional black ignition keys including the orange programming key. In this case, twice.
– Switch off the ignition by turning the orange programming key to the OFF position .
The lost black ignition key is deactivated.
The existing black ignition key is reactivated.

Loss of both black ignition keys (no black ignition key available):
This procedure is important to prevent misuse of the lost black ignition key.
– Press the emergency OFF switch into the position .
the number of flashes equals the number of functional black ignition keys including
the orange programming key. In this case once, since all black ignition keys are deactivated.
All black ignition keys are deactivated.
– Order a new black ignition key according to the key number on the KEYCODECARD and activate it.

Activating the ignition key:
– Press the emergency OFF switch into the position .
– Insert the black ignition key in the ignition lock.
– Switch on the ignition by turning the ignition key to the ON position.
Immobilizer indicator lamp lights up, switches off briefly, and lights up again.
– Switch off the ignition by turning the ignition key to the OFF position.
– Remove the black ignition key.
– To activate further ignition keys, repeat the last 4 steps with the respective ignition key.
the number of flashes equals the number of functional black ignition keys including the orange programming key.
All black ignition keys are activated included in this job sequence are activated.
Gone but not forgotten: '74 Honda XL100, '75 Suzi TS100, '76 Suzi T500, '78 Yam XT500, '80 Suzi GSX1100ET, '81 Suzi GSX100EX, '84 Honda VF1000R, '99 Honda CBR900RR, '10 KTM 990SMT

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks for reply. Yes, I tried that. No joy.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am

If all fails remove the SMT ECU & fit a Super Duke ECU that has no immobilizer.

Otherwise you can go with these guys. http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-990-1190-RC8 ... 25829beb41

http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-990-1190-RC8 ... 4aa5f5d4f7

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks lads. I will post up how I get it sorted. I would prefer to spend money on a rottweiler box and a set of cans!

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Sorted. Got a key cut by auto key in Ireland. Works perfectly, also discovered that the previous owner broke a key in the ignition and I don't have a new ignition on it just replacement bolts. If the key card came with the bike there would have been no problems.
I now have 2 working keys and piece of mind. Thanks all for your help with this. I can now concentrate on performance parts and end cans. :D

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 am

Which years of Super Duke don't have immobilizer?
------
So, since you didn't have the key code, how did you get a key to work? And congrats on the money saving!
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

neiljitsu
500cc
500cc

Post by neiljitsu » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:32 am

The guy in the shop took my working key apart and removed the chip. He removed the chip from another key and fitted it into a blank key and cut it. Took him around 30 mins. He did an excellent job and said he enjoyed the challenge. Highly reccomend them. Auto key.ie :D