set throttle cable

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
Vleesklak
125cc
125cc
City: City
Year: 2012
Colour: Silver

set throttle cable

Post by Vleesklak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

I've read in the owners manual that you need the diagnostic tool or TuneEcu to set the throttle slack. A few of you mentioned this earlier on the forum. I just want to know why this is and what happens if you set the cable without these tools.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: set throttle cable

Post by kevxtx » Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

The diagnostic tool closes the idle stepper motor all the way closed, you then adjust both cables, then you reset the idle motor using your diagnostic tool.

If the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly & either one is to tight or in the incorrect position it can cause the bike not to crank over, the idle motor goes through a basic setting from stop to stop points every other key on/off cycle, if the cables are not adjust correctly & the motor does not reach it's stop points the result can be the motor will not crank over or incorrect idle speed. Incorrectly adjusted loose cables will have no effects on the running of the idle stepper motor or the cranking of the starter motor.

The ECU knows the stop points of the idle stepper motor it can see the voltage from the front throttle TPS voltage.

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I just adjusted most of the slack via one cable no probs. annoyed the hell out of me all that slack.

KTMatt
125cc
125cc
City: Surrey
Year: 2010

Post by KTMatt » Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I had a bit of a problem with all this very recently. The bike was idling to high, but only sometimes, throttle wasn't touched from when it had a new ecu fitted by a dealer. So you would think that its all set in the right position.
I figured it most be to tight, not closing off properly. I don't like to much slack in it, but gave it a bit more just to see if this was the case.
AND then the bike would sometimes idle rough very low revs and stall, happened 3 times. Not having a lot of faith in this bike, booked it in to dealer for ecu read, set throttle just sort it out!
Turns out 1 fault, throttle position sensor, if the bike starts with the throttle open it gets confused. I don't touch it when starting. But now the throttle had been adjusted the ecu needed to be told where it was. They did all this with the computer and he has put the throttle back in the correct position. I was told by the mechanic that the position needs cheeking and making sure not to tight when its on full lock. Makes sense obvious, but why it started messing around I don't know as didn't touch it until that happened.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 pm

If the dealer fitted a new ECU they should have done the basic settings for the idle stepper motor as new ECU would not know where the stop points where, so it is their fault that the idle was messing around.

Vleesklak
125cc
125cc
City: City

Post by Vleesklak » Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am

I've set the throttle cable a while ago without using TuneEcu. Never thought there was a problem, but now that you mention it. It happened a few times, when I stop at the traffic lights, the engine keeps idling at 2000rpm. When I blip the throttle, it's gone. I'll check this out...

Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Post by Windblown » Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 am

I set mine today because it had way too much slop and made on/off throttle control difficult. With the motor off I snugged it up until the play was gone, then backed it off a little bit to ensure the cable was not too tight. Checked for proper operation of the throttle. Fired up the bike and went for a ride. Seemed to work fine.

Duckman
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: White
Model: SMT

set throttle cable

Post by Duckman » Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 am

Vleesklak wrote:I've set the throttle cable a while ago without using TuneEcu. Never thought there was a problem, but now that you mention it. It happened a few times, when I stop at the traffic lights, the engine keeps idling at 2000rpm. When I blip the throttle, it's gone. I'll check this out...
Hummm, me too. I hate having any slack at all in the throttle. I think I just learned something new. :)
Mike
'06 Ducati 999, '07 Ducati S2R1000, '12 KTM 990 SMT
(Sophia, Gina, Brunhilda)

helienduro
50cc
50cc
City: San Jose
Year: 2010

Post by helienduro » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I've been having a lot of problems regarding high idle with my 2010 SMT. It happens occasionally but is a real PITA! Yesterday I rode for over 500 kms and all was fine until the last 50 when the problem reappeared: when shutting the throttle it would keep the RPS's high; at first at 2000, then 3000 then 4000. Scary! I would shut the engine, wait for the FI cycle, restart it and left it idling a bit (sometimes while coasting with the clutch in) and the idle would be fine for a while, but then the problem reappeared.

Today I disconnected the battery briefly, reconnected it, started the bike and left it idling for 15 minutes. At first fine, but later no change, it still keeps the idle very high. Maybe the fact that yesterday I rode under a lot of rain has something to do, or maybe it's related to the throttle that I feel is a bit hard and seems to me has too much slack (5-6mm).

My bike is still totally stock except for a K&N air filter partly because I am not sure if I want to keep it: it's a love-hate relationship and I wonder if I should go back to a carburated 950 (I had a black 2004 and an SE) as fuel handling are the problems I've had with the SMT (clogged filters and high idle). If I get this fixed, then maybe going through the mods process (cans, SAS, O2 sensors, re-map, airbox, etc) as per KEVXTX will make me love it again. It does ride great and is a very fun tourer (Costa Rica to California on it last year). As I do not have an ECU cable, I guess a visit to the dealer is what's left and no riding today. Bummer...

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc
City: Johannesburg
Model: Adventure

Post by Roadhawg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Windblown wrote:I set mine today because it had way too much slop and made on/off throttle control difficult. With the motor off I snugged it up until the play was gone, then backed it off a little bit to ensure the cable was not too tight. Checked for proper operation of the throttle. Fired up the bike and went for a ride. Seemed to work fine.

I'm definitely gonna try this, I feel like there is way too much slack in the cables. Shot.

oldf4rt
250cc
250cc
City: Skipton
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by oldf4rt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 am

My experience with off road bikes tells me that if you have no slack in the cable sometimes when you hit a bump you get small "involuntary" throttle openings.
You ALWAYS have slack in the throttle cable for this reason !

This has happened to me a couple of times on the SMT at low speeds (once when putting front wheel back down after a wheelie !) Not something you want a low speed on a 120HP road bike !

I've just put some slack into my cable to prevent this. My thoughts are that there is a stop screw that determines the closed position and the cable slack can't affect that so should be OK. It just means that when closed I have a bit of movement before opening throttle.

Haven't ridden since the adjustment.
Watch this space ....

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Year: 2011

Post by Scutty » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 pm

The stop position is set by the ECU during start up - you can watch it happen if you have removed the stock airbox. I run mine with no slack and much prefer it that way. The other mod that helps is the throttle cam/tube mod.
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

Hunter1
125cc
125cc
City: Medellin
Year: 2008
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Hunter1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I am having with my 2008 990 sm. A little info about the bike first:

wings slip ons
cpr rottwiler air filter
second flies removed
o2 sensors turned off with tune ecu

Whats happening is that the bike is going crazy with idle. When I try to ride it idles to 3000-4000 rpm. Lots of decal popping and some backfiring. Sometimes stalling too. I noticed with tuneecu that the MAP sensor readings are way off from each other. Cyl 1 is showing a reading of about 350 hpa and cylinder 2 at about 540 hpa. Last time I checked this (about 1 month ago) they both read about the same. I had my bike to the local dealer and they have no idea whats going on. I have switched the map sensors but the readings don't switch with them. We have set the TPS and it is in spec. Have tried different maps and 15 min resets with no luck. Battery voltage is fine. I have a power commander 5 waiting to be installed but I need to try and fix this problem first. Does anyone have any ideas? Im stuck