Blank clocks

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Blank clocks

Post by ogden » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 am

The bike's just coming up to its first birthday, with no major problems in almost seven months, so it was about time something went wrong.

Got home last night with the fuel light just on and 0.2 miles on the F trip meter. Went out this morning, turned the key and hit the button. Fired up straight away, perfect. Except what's this - no clocks. ABS and immobiliser lights are working OK, but the tacho's sitting at zero and the entire LCD panel is blank. The backlight's on but nobody's home. Not the end of the world, but clearly a fault, so I took it to work, paying extra care near speed cameras, stopping for fuel on the way. Tried it at lunchtime, same deal - backlight on, but no life on the tacho or LCD panel.

Come hometime, I do the same, and everything's working again, except the fuel light's still on and the trip meter's still in F mode showing 0.2 miles. Half a mile later and everything's back to normal, though the miles from the morning commute are still missing.

So, what's the betting there's water in there somewhere? I can't imagine it evaporated while sitting outside my office with the ambient temp just above zero. Anything else I should look for? I would throw it straight at my dealer, but with everything seeming to be OK again it's not ideal for diagnosing a fault.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

LenFerguson
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014
Colour: Black

Blank clocks

Post by LenFerguson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 am

My money is on water. These clocks seem to be touchy to even the smallest amount. Mine did a similar thing when I first got it and I noticed some condensate on the clear cover. Clocks were not working properly. Then left the bike in the sun for half a day, not intentionally just the way it worked out. Water condensation gone clocks have worked perfectly ever since. I am sure that this will come back to haunt me when the corrosion takes effect in a year or two. Bit for now all good. Told the dealer on the first service and guess what as predicted, "sorry sir, nothing wrong from what we can see".
Current stable: KTM1290SDR(14), KTM1190ADVENTURE(14), BMWS1000RR(12), KTM690R(12), Husky TE250(13)

Previously loved: KTM990SMT(11), WR450F(10), F800GS(09), KLR650(08), KTM450EXC(05) FJR1300(04), KTM200EXC(03), XR400(03), CBR1000F(90), XR600(88), KR1(86)

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Re: Blank clocks

Post by Rangoonruns » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am

My money is on the KTM female hormones that wreak havoc every now and again with these bikes, they are great fun to ride but every now and then they test your resolve by having a monthly on you!

I will take a flyer and predict water ingress or as i found out, the vibes from the 990 twin causes fretting of the contacts which will result in periods of working ok to fecked again, I hate to break this to you but I think once they have started playing up they will continue.

So next time get a quick picture and get on to your dealer, on a positive note, since i opened mine up and went wild with the glue i have experienced no readout problems in 1400 miles. Everyone please cross fingers now for me!

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich
Colour: White

Post by kaivalagi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Sounds like you ought to make a nuisance of yourself down the dealers.....at least so it's on record in case it happens again
My other bike is a rocket ;)

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

kaivalagi wrote:Sounds like you ought to make a nuisance of yourself down the dealers.....at least so it's on record in case it happens again
Oh, I will be. Tried yesterday, but the boss is away and had trouble getting through to anyone useful. Assuming it doesn't do it again straight away, I'll get on to him early next week to set the ball rolling.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 pm

See my post below yours, same issue, noticed condensation in the clocks since day one, bike left standing for about two months so im guessing water really corroded the pcb and went blank first day out after the idle period.
Trouble is now KTM being a pain in the ass and not replacing the clocks as a matter of course instead preferring to repair and replace the outer casing as its apparently improved.

Needless to say with the lack of support such as a replacement bike instead i get a set of incompatible 690 clocks for the time being and KTM's unwillingness to just straight swap the clocks for new on a 6month old bike and a part they know is extremely common from poor design, i dont think i'll be buying another KTM.

discoed
125cc
125cc
City: Hebden Bridge
Year: 2013
Model: Adventure

Post by discoed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:19 pm

I have exactly the same issue - did you resolve it?

I left the bike in the garage for two weeks whilst away and on my return the clocks were dead aside from ABS light and backlight. I removed the clocks and dismantled them to inspect - no signs of any moisture ingress so re-assembled them and re fitted and they worked! put the bike away, went down to the garage again today and not working again!!

There must be a reason - it'd be good to know but I'm pretty sure it isn't water in the clocks mine were bone dry inside and have never misted.