3k rpm without throttle. HELP!

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
bartman_ita
125cc
125cc
City: Catania
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

3k rpm without throttle. HELP!

Post by bartman_ita » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:56 am

Hey guy sometimes happens that when I start my SMT it goes up to 2k rpm (at 3k after a couple of minutes of use.) does it randomly, but this time it looks to be permanent! :-(

Driving in this way it's very difficul. The motorcycle is accelerated. It seems like I'm speeding up without touching the throttle.

The Someone one of you have/had the same problem?
How did u solved it? Any Idea?

Tnx alot

I apologize for my bad English.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: 3k rpm without throttle. HELP!

Post by kevxtx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:41 am

The only electronic device that can raise the idle is the idle motor.

Do you have a Tune ECU cable to check for fault codes?

If you do have a Tune ECU cable & there are no fault codes, carry out the throttle cable adjustment, then reset the idle motor using Tune ECU.

bartman_ita
125cc
125cc
City: Catania
Year: 2009

Post by bartman_ita » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am

thanx for your reply man. I will buy a tune eco cable very soon! :(

shrinkray
125cc
125cc
City: Oceanside
Year: 2010

Post by shrinkray » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Short answer/opinion:
Do not ride the bike. Have your dealer come pick it up and find the problem. It's not safe. I'd hate to hear that you were hurt, and the bike damaged because of an accident caused by this.

-----

Questions:
Is the bike stock?
If not, what modifications have you done?

If it's stock, I'd check my throttle connections and cable routing to make sure nothing is binding up. Then I'd check my airbox to make there were no loose fittings/air leaks.
I would check all my electrical connections, and oxygen sensor links. Just please please please dont ride it until it's safe.

quirofanero
50cc
50cc
City: Huelva
Year: 2011

Post by quirofanero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm

I had the same problem, and the solution is reprogramming the ECU. In your KTM shop, must to do it.

It´s a small problem and the solution is easy.

;) ;)
KTM 990 SMT 2011 WHITE POWER!!!

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I have found a solution to this problem as my bike has done it.

After working out what was going on I found the sticking throttle higher rpm with the throttle closed only happened after I took the free play out of the throttle cables on my SMR.

What I found on my bike is the idle stepper motor did not adjust it's self back to the preset rest idle position which should be around TPS 0.6V if the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly, every other key cycle on & off it will try to do a throttle reset by completely closing the throttle plate which has a TPS voltage of 0.54V, if there is not enough free play in the throttle cables the throttle plate will not closed completely to the 0.54v & the ECU learns this new closed position but really the throttle plate is still open due to the tight throttle cable, now with the new learned closed throttle position & tight throttle cables the ECU will adjust the throttle plate open to the new idle position 0.74V my reading, with this new learned idle position the idle motor will keep the throttle plate further open at times when the twist grip is fully closed with a TPS voltage of 0.74v & make the bike rev around 2 to 3000rpm. The funny thing it did not effected the ilding much when stopped, but as soon as you rode the bike it will rev high with the twist grip closed.

The solution
1/Go to your dealer
2/ In Tune ECU there is a setting for adjusting throttle cables, click adjust throttle cables this will force the idle motor to to pull the throttle plate to the full closed position 0.54v, adjust your throttle cables free play, turn the ign key off then on. In Tune ECU go to adjust idle motor the ECU will then calculate the idle throttle opening which on my bike is around 0.64v.

So to sum things up the bike has adaptive learning for the idle control & will do a basic reset after a few ignition cycles, if your throttle cables are not adjusted correctly it can make the bike rev higher when the twist grip is closed.

Rasher
500cc
500cc
City: Margate
Year: 2012

Post by Rasher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Maybe you adjusted the free play in your throttle cables without realising that the ecu must be connected to the KTM diagnostic tool before making any adjustments. I found this out the hard way when I bought my bike, 1st time I've ever needed any diagnostic type device to adjust a throttle cable free play but there you go , live and learn as they say. It is mentioned in the owners manual page 153.
However, it did give me the desire to learn to use tuneecu where as Kevxtx has pointed out there is a program there that allows you to make such adjustments yourself. In fact read all of the modification topics that Kevxtx has done and you too will be hooked.

Hunter1
125cc
125cc
City: Medellin
Year: 2008
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Hunter1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I am having with my 2008 990 sm. A little info about the bike first:

wings slip ons
cpr rottwiler air filter
second flies removed
o2 sensors turned off with tune ecu

Whats happening is that the bike is going crazy with idle. When I try to ride it idles to 3000-4000 rpm. Lots of decal popping and some backfiring. Sometimes stalling too. I noticed with tuneecu that the MAP sensor readings are way off from each other. Cyl 1 is showing a reading of about 350 hpa and cylinder 2 at about 540 hpa. Last time I checked this (about 1 month ago) they both read about the same. I had my bike to the local dealer and they have no idea whats going on. I have switched the map sensors but the readings don't switch with them. We have set the TPS and it is in spec. Have tried different maps and 15 min resets with no luck. Battery voltage is fine. I have a power commander 5 waiting to be installed but I need to try and fix this problem first. Does anyone have any ideas? Im stuck

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Post by xaotikos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Resurrecting that one but I have a question.
Installed rc8r throttle cam today, adjusted front cable (pull) with tuneecu but the other one (push?) seems have no substantial tension. Do you adjust it at the throttle body? What does it actually do?? What is the optimum slack for this one?
Thanks