Fuel cap increasingly difficult to remove/insert, 2011.

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
ultrachrome
675cc
675cc
City: Seattle
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Fuel cap increasingly difficult to remove/insert, 2011.

Post by ultrachrome » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:06 am

ogden wrote:Mine's now had the warranty claim dealt with for the filler cap problem, and the fix is a new fitting for the tank, rather than a change to the cap itself.

The black triangular bit at the opening has been replaced with a silver one with a bigger aperture, and the problem's completely gone.

Good to get there in the end.
Did you get a part number? I see this listed on the fiche:

2 76507008050 FLANGE TANK CAP superceeded by 76507008150

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 am

I didn't, but I've just dropped my man an email to ask for the part number. If I get a useful response, I'll post it here. If I don't, I'll try and remember to ask next time I pop over there.

I now have a bike that doesn't cut out, doesn't piss oil, tells me when it's getting low on fuel, and doesn't object to having the filler cap removed. Regular viewers may understand just how remarkable this is. And just as well, the warranty runs out in seven weeks and there still doesn't seem to be any option for extension.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Year: 2012

Post by adcolor » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 pm

FYI, the generic red swollen orifice filler (not a bad twist of the tongue) is NOT fixed by replacing the filler mouth with the metal part (though I do not mind at all that it is now metal).

I have a new filler cap on order (warranty). Then the shop gets to fight with swapping out the lock assy. They are already looking forward to it.

Fortunately, good riding weather AND clean (no salt or icy patches) roads this time of year are very rare, and the shop is ok if I just bring in the filler cap to swap them out.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Lee600
125cc
125cc
City: Portland

Post by Lee600 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 am

adcolor wrote:FYI, the generic red swollen orifice filler (not a bad twist of the tongue) is NOT fixed by replacing the filler mouth with the metal part (though I do not mind at all that it is now metal).

I have a new filler cap on order (warranty). Then the shop gets to fight with swapping out the lock assy. They are already looking forward to it.

Fortunately, good riding weather AND clean (no salt or icy patches) roads this time of year are very rare, and the shop is ok if I just bring in the filler cap to swap them out.

Yep, same here. Replaced the filler with metal part but still had to have cap replaced also. Took a few weeks, under warranty, but now it works find. I guess the cap was on backorder because so many of them had to be replaced. :roll:

Big G
Supporter
Supporter
City: Ayrshire
Model: SMT

Post by Big G » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I have had problems like before but as of yet not on my smt yet.
Grease on the rubber seals in the neck of the tank or Vaseline as its cleaner if you get it on your clothes has always helped it might be worth a try.

Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Post by Windblown » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 am

My cap got so bad I almost couldn't get gas one day while far from home. When I go home I modded it and it will never give me trouble again. Thought about getting a replacement under warranty but decided I'd rather keep what I have than risk ever having a problem with it again.

Here's my cap after a bit of modding. No more skirt to catch in the tank lip!

razteo
250cc
250cc
City: SoCal
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Tried that ^ only slight improvement

Post by razteo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Windblown wrote:My cap got so bad I almost couldn't get gas one day while far from home. When I go home I modded it and it will never give me trouble again. Thought about getting a replacement under warranty but decided I'd rather keep what I have than risk ever having a problem with it again.

Here's my cap after a bit of modding. No more skirt to catch in the tank lip!

I did the same thing, but is far from good. It is a slight improvement, but still a pain. I may end up getting the Billet Fuel Filler Neck ( http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/bi ... 0-990-smt/ ) before I break the key..

yzinger
125cc
125cc
City: Kansas City

Post by yzinger » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:04 am

weld86 wrote:Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a used 2010 with 2000 miles on it. I think I know why the first owner sold it. You couldn't get the fuel cap off. The first fill up for me was hilarious. I think I have found the problem and a fix. The problem is in the gas cap itself. Going in the tapered orange plastic cover compresses to fit the flange opening. When it is all the way in, It is able to expand out a bit because the top of the plastic cover is below the flange. This is very easy to see if you remove the cap and unscrew the 3 screws holding the flage to the tank. Insert the cap in the flange and you will see the interferance.

The fix is to shorten the plastic cover with a razor knife. See photo.
Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.
2010 SMT - stock
2006 YZ250 two-stroke

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington

Post by Thirdway » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 pm

I've had issues with the cap as well, cutting the skirt shorter worked perfectly.

Sweetlou
500cc
500cc
City: Islip

Fuel cap increasingly difficult to remove/insert, 2011.

Post by Sweetlou » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Add my 2013 cap to the list. Covered under warranty

jimr1
50cc
50cc
City: Penn Yan NY

Post by jimr1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I just purchased a 2011 SMT last weekend, with only 2,400 miles, and although the mileage was low, the gas cap was difficult to remove. After researching on this forum, I looked closely at the cap and noticed the plastic sleeve expanded as some here have mentioned. I initially tried to remove a portion of this plastic, but found it difficult to perform surgery on, so I next removed the mating part on the tank itself and with both in hand could now see where the problem lied. Using info from this forum, I used a grinding attachment to my cordless drill and started removing plastic off the tank piece and through trial and error was able to remove enough of the plastic so that there's no resistance what so ever. And, after filling the tank, there's no sign of leakage, so that's a relief. In the removal of the part attached to the tank, I also had concerns over dropping the small bolts into the tank, but remedied this by placing a piece of cardboard over the opening to prevent that from occurring. Thanks everyone for your advice.

ultrachrome
675cc
675cc
City: Seattle

Post by ultrachrome » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 pm

jimr1 wrote:...so I next removed the mating part on the tank itself and with both in hand could now see where the problem lied.
That's the way to do it.

stinkerbill
250cc
250cc
City: Virginia Water

Post by stinkerbill » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:23 am

I had the same issue with my recently bought 2011...

So here's what I did...

I'm gonna spend some more time tidying it up, but problem solved!

The key is still a bit stiff to turn, but I guess that's just the internal mechanism. I've oiled it, but it's no better.

Still, it's not 'key-breakingly bad' for me
KTM 990 SMT... by way of... Yamaha MT-OS, BMW 1150 GS "supermoto'd", Buell XB12X 'bomber' custom, Buell XB9 'TT'd', KTM Duke II, Aprilia Pegaso Strada, BMW F650 CS, Suzuki SV650, Various Scooters

Sweetlou
500cc
500cc
City: Islip

Post by Sweetlou » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I used a Dremel with a round sander attachment and just sanded down the same area you "chopped." Worked great. Dealer was going to replace it under warranty but the new cap would more than likely just expand again.

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Just wrapped a sheet of sandpaper around mine and went at it until I took enough off to make fit easier. Switched to high octane fuel as it has less or no Ethanol which causes the swelling. It also hardens and cracks rubber fuel lines so use high octane in the Morgan too.