Fuel cap increasingly difficult to remove/insert, 2011.

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
Gnosisdog
675cc
675cc
City: San Francisco
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: Fuel cap increasingly difficult to remove/insert, 2011.

Post by Gnosisdog » Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am

This looks like the solution. Will ask my dealer this week. Hope that KTM is as accommodating in sending the new one.

Scott-er-ized
50cc
50cc
City: Livermore
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by Scott-er-ized » Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Obviously an interferrance fit. You can lift up on the cap and look under it to see why it's stuck. I trimmed away some of the red plastic and guess what? All fixed.
Expanding gas tank? New flange? What? Just trim the plastic!

Dunk
125cc
125cc
City: London

Post by Dunk » Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 pm

I wondered what was going on when I first road my bike home a few weeks ago and pulled in to get petrol. It took me several minutes to get the cap off. I find that pulling the tube off the back of the cap loosens the cap and allows it to come free easier. Could it be some sort of airlock forming?

125cc
125cc
City: METAMORA

Post by 000 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 am

kevxtx wrote:Thanks for that do you have the part number of the new part?
I called the dealer and talked to the guy that got the replacement bottom part. He said there was no paperwork included with the part and there wasn't any part number referenced on anything. They (KTM USA) just sent the part in a bag...

I asked if he had a breakdown of the parts in the gas cap and there isn't a breakdown down of the cap parts. I was hoping that the dealer would have access to a more detailed parts breakdown but he said what we see online is the same parts list they have.

I would suggest that you call the KTM office in your country and try to talk to someone who is knowledgeable on the issue.
I'm the only one that has an SMT that my local dealer knows of, so they are not getting flooded with complaints on the issue.

Best Regards
Jeff
Current Bikes
'11 KTM 990 SMT
'10 KTM 300 XCW
'09 KTM 450 XC-F
'08 Yamaha FJR1300
'08 KTM 530 XCW

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 am

000 wrote:
kevxtx wrote:Thanks for that do you have the part number of the new part?
I called the dealer and talked to the guy that got the replacement bottom part. He said there was no paperwork included with the part and there wasn't any part number referenced on anything. They (KTM USA) just sent the part in a bag...

I asked if he had a breakdown of the parts in the gas cap and there isn't a breakdown down of the cap parts. I was hoping that the dealer would have access to a more detailed parts breakdown but he said what we see online is the same parts list they have.

I would suggest that you call the KTM office in your country and try to talk to someone who is knowledgeable on the issue.
I'm the only one that has an SMT that my local dealer knows of, so they are not getting flooded with complaints on the issue.

Best Regards
Jeff

Thanks Jeff we will find the part number over time.

Dunk
125cc
125cc

Post by Dunk » Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 am

I've been looking into getting my petrol cap fixed. The dealer that I got the bike from (no longer an official KTM dealer) isn't interested in the problem and directed me to a main KTM centre. I contacted The KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead and they were really helpful and looked into the problem but apparently there is no official part recall on the problem part so I guess here in the UK you are on your own if this occurs. The KTM Centre did offer to have a look at it for me but at £50 and hour I'll have a go at some DIY first.

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Mine's getting tricky as well, so I've added it to the job list for a service it's having next week.

I've made it clear that I consider it a warranty issue (and got the chap at the dealer to try removing it himself so he could see what a pain in the arse it is) so I'll see what happens on Wednesday. I don't fancy having to dick around with it as it is four times a day with a tankbag fitted.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Dunk
125cc
125cc

Post by Dunk » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Just took 20 minutes with my Dremel and the problem is solved. I thought that was quicker and easier than bothering going through my dealer.

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Dunk wrote:Just took 20 minutes with my Dremel and the problem is solved. I thought that was quicker and easier than bothering going through my dealer.
I don't mind getting busy with the Dremel but I like to have a spare handy just in case I (almost inevitably) cock it up.
ogden

Dunk
125cc
125cc

Post by Dunk » Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Ogden: I don't think you can mess it up.

Take out the fuel cap (allowing 5 minutes of frustration to do this).

I used one of the cylindrical stone attachment for my drill.

Then very lightly smooth out the ridge at the top of the red plastic insert that causes the problem. It is this catching that stops it coming out easily. Smooth/thin it out, clean it up so there are no bits hanging off that can get into the petrol tank and try putting it back into the tank. Repeat until it goes in without a problem. Go slowly and you can't go wrong.

Duckman
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Year: 2012

Post by Duckman » Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm

I took a different approach. I removed the black plastic base from the tank and slightly enlarged the opening with my finger and a bit of sandpaper. The scariest part of going this is getting the screws in and out without dropping one into the tank. :)
Mike
'06 Ducati 999, '07 Ducati S2R1000, '12 KTM 990 SMT
(Sophia, Gina, Brunhilda)

Dunk
125cc
125cc

Post by Dunk » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 pm

I considered this and thought that I would somehow definitely manage to drop a screw into my tank so with a damage limitation mindset I opted to go with modding the actual red plastic part. It is a lot easier not to mess up.

As long as it works.

I'm surprised that dealers aren't aware of the problem and that KTM isn't publishing anything related to this.

Duckman
500cc
500cc
City: Houston

Post by Duckman » Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 pm

I chose the cheapest route incase I screwed it up. The flange cost $4 and the gas cap $190. :)
Mike
'06 Ducati 999, '07 Ducati S2R1000, '12 KTM 990 SMT
(Sophia, Gina, Brunhilda)

Dunk
125cc
125cc

Post by Dunk » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 pm

If I'd have know that before hand, I think I'd have got my dealer to sort it out.

ogden

Post by ogden » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 pm

KTM have approved the warranty claim for my duff fuel cap, but the new part's not arrived at the dealer yet. Not sure whether they're sending a whole new cap, or just that rubber bit for the bottom.

In the absence of the new part, and with me only having six days left to departure, I let the dealer shave down the swollen part enough that the cap now goes in and out without any resistance. Problem solved for the time being, and hopefully permanently once the replacement part comes in.

I wasn't looking forward to doing five fill-ups a day with it as it was. Driving me nuts.
ogden

VisciousCycle
125cc
125cc
City: Atlanta

Post by VisciousCycle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm

1- remove fuel cap and disconnect vent line.
2- trim the "lip" using a razor knife or dremel tool
3- re-install.

ogden

Post by ogden » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Had exactly that done on mine. It wasn't perfect, but it was better.

Two weeks of touring later, with up to five fill-ups a day, and it now comes out easily. I think being rough with it did the trick.
ogden

Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Post by Windblown » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 pm

VisciousCycle wrote:1- remove fuel cap and disconnect vent line.
2- trim the "lip" using a razor knife or dremel tool
3- re-install.
This^

I had to do mine today. It had become so bad that I thought I wasn't ever get the cap back off again. I went one extra step and pulled the pin so I could trim the orange flange while it was off the cap. All I left on the orange flange were the little spring perches. Problem solved for good. I thought about going to KTM for warranty but decided that a another replacement poorly thought out over engineered gas cap was not going to be a long term solution.

milq
500cc
500cc
City: Fairfield
Year: 2010

Post by milq » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:12 am

Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone....

I had trimmed the red plastic a bit and was getting along fine, although I had complained to the dealer about it. Dealer ordered a new cap (which came with a properly coded key, so there''s that) and I swapped them out a few weeks back.

Now I wish I had the old cap back! New cap hasn't shown any issues with selling, but the darned thing is VERY difficult to turn the key lock. I worry that I may break the key off, it's that bad. I good solid push downward on the cap does help a touch, but not a lot.

I'm going to try disassembling the cap and lubing it in a few weeks, when the weather drops below freezing and I'm not as keen on riding every day. I think I'll also measure the key cylinder and turn a new shaft to replace it with, then I'll use the EDM machine to burn a square hole into it and carry the male mate on my key chain....if that description makes any sense. (Like a square drive on a ratchet fits into the socket) That would retain the locking feature and would prevent braking a key off, since it wouldn't be needed anymore.

If that doesn't work out, I'll get a CJ Designs filler neck and screw-on cap or make something similar. I like the triangular cap, it looks good on the bike but I don't see how the current set up will last indefinitely without work.

ogden

Post by ogden » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Mine's now had the warranty claim dealt with for the filler cap problem, and the fix is a new fitting for the tank, rather than a change to the cap itself.

The black triangular bit at the opening has been replaced with a silver one with a bigger aperture, and the problem's completely gone.

Good to get there in the end.
ogden