"Twitchy" throttle - rode two SM-Ts back to back

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: "Twitchy" throttle - rode two SM-Ts back to back

Post by kevxtx » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 am

Pull those 2nd flies out & load a decent map, been proven so many times. The Akra standard map is not very well made.

Lee600
125cc
125cc
City: Portland
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by Lee600 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 am

Get a Dyno ECU Tune, the best thing you can do to get rid of the Twitchy Throttle. Cost me $150.00 and it made all the difference. The throttle is smooth even at slow stop light speeds. The best is in tight twisty stuff. When you crack the throttle in the turn no more jerking. Almost as smooth as my BMW.

The only mods are the Akro Slip-On's and a 16 T front sprocket. The Slip-on's and the 16 T sprocket I ran for several months before the Tune and the bike lost some of the twitchy throttle but not all and it was still a pain to ride in slow traffic. Since the tune it's like a whole new bike.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 am

+1 nothing better than a custom tune.

ttamg
125cc
125cc
City: London
Year: 2010

Post by ttamg » Sat May 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi All

My SMT (2010) was very twitchy too. Tried other throttle cams, adjusting throttle, everything but nothing really helped that much.

It's the remap that did the job. Completely different bike now and with major benefits too. 10% leaner fuelling now so 10% more fuel efficient !, and a few extra BHP at the top end. Excellent result! Cost me about £200 from BCD in Peterborough who were excellent.

Here is the link for the guys I used
http://bsd.uk.com/ktm-smt-990-full-ecu-remap/

I would describe the difference so: Before the KTM was a bit like wrestling with a rhinoceros around town. Now it ride much more like a stallion. Punchier but also a bit more controllable.

Matt

ttamg
125cc
125cc
Year: 2010

Post by ttamg » Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 pm

You can't see the 10% leaner fuelling on this, but this also shows the better torque and power. .... and the smoothness! :P

dave1100xx
500cc
500cc
City: Salt Lake City
Year: 2011

Post by dave1100xx » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 am

My SMT needed a custom tune to become smooth and predictable. I did it with a Powercommander and 2 channel autotune, but think a dyno tune might be even more precise. My autotune showed one cylinder way different than the other. Either way I've gone from pulsing throbbing jerky to buttery smooth. Don't do half measures. The difference is pure pleasure.
Full Akro (w/baffles), Motohooligan Airfilter and Secondaries, SAS/cannister/airbox removed, US Fuel at 4000-8000 feet elevation. PowerCommander and 2 channel AutoTune.

Sailcycle
125cc
125cc
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Sailcycle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 am

dave1100xx wrote:My SMT needed a custom tune to become smooth and predictable. I did it with a Powercommander and 2 channel autotune, but think a dyno tune might be even more precise. My autotune showed one cylinder way different than the other. Either way I've gone from pulsing throbbing jerky to buttery smooth. Don't do half measures. The difference is pure pleasure.
Dave, can you tell me what equipment you purchased? I presume you had to buy a Power Commander and then get the bike custom mapped? I just got a 2013 SMT with a set of Wings cans. It's not so much the twitchy nature of the throttle, but the surging delivery. It's worse on small, steady throttle openings or on really bumpy roads.

dave1100xx
500cc
500cc

Post by dave1100xx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:55 am

A powercommander and a custom map would probably be best least hassle way to go.

I used a powercommander with a powercommander accessory call an autotune 300 (2 channel one for each cylinder). One can go 13.2 air fuel ratio AFR for a bit more power. Like Kev, I use 13.6 above 4000 rpm in the cruise range of throttle settings and am getting very good power and fuel mileage (40mpg). The AT is nice if you make future mods that require adjustments to the mapping. I see you've done wings, but an intake system really makes a big difference and I'd go with that and then get it tuned to match.
Full Akro (w/baffles), Motohooligan Airfilter and Secondaries, SAS/cannister/airbox removed, US Fuel at 4000-8000 feet elevation. PowerCommander and 2 channel AutoTune.

dave1100xx
500cc
500cc

Post by dave1100xx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Sailcycle,

On second thought, given that you have a pair of slipons and nothing else, Powercommander has a map for that for US bikes (US bikes like to run a bit richer because of the 10% ethanol we get in our gas). Maybe purchase a PC5 and load their recommended map. I've done that in the past and it will get rid of the surging. It will definitely get you very close and if it doesn't, you will be setup with the PC5 which is needed for a custom dyno tune.

BTW, love you Oregon and N. California back roads.

Regards - D

Sailcycle
125cc
125cc

Post by Sailcycle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 pm

dave1100xx wrote:Sailcycle,

BTW, love you Oregon and N. California back roads.

Regards - D
Thanks for the advice, Dave. My "Portland" is the original one, not the one in OR. We have great roads when they're not covered in snow. The frost heaves are better taken with the SMT suspension. ;)

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Colour: Silver

Post by Scutty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:46 pm

'The original one' - I think the little folk of Portland in Dorset might disagree :)

Wikipedia: "Portland has been inhabited since at least the Mesolithic period (the Middle Stone Age)"
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:03 am

Scutty wrote:'The original one' - I think the little folk of Portland in Dorset might disagree :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKz4s14ly-o

So good, they named a stone after it.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Sailcycle
125cc
125cc

Post by Sailcycle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Scutty wrote:'The original one' - I think the little folk of Portland in Dorset might disagree :)

Wikipedia: "Portland has been inhabited since at least the Mesolithic period (the Middle Stone Age)"
I keep forgetting how "new" we are over here. :lol:

Agentwomack
125cc
125cc
City: Eugene

Post by Agentwomack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 pm

I rolled a brand new SMT (zero miles) off the floor last week, and let me say that first ride was sketchy!!! Extremely touchy, sensitive & flat out twitchy throttle in the first two gears...
I read about all the mods and remaps that can be done and quite frankly was a little pissed that I had to consider such things with a brand new bike!
Well long story short I have put a hand full of miles on in the saddle and the bike is definitely coming into its own with each and every ride!
Maybe I've just learned what it likes, or maybe it does need to break in. But in any case the twitchy throttle is remedying itself.
I am putting this out there for anyone else that May have concerns with this. If your like me and not looking to dump more money into an already expensive bike, I would suggest hopping on that beast and just put in some time.

Cheers

pwbike
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by pwbike » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 am

Mine was similar (I've had it about 3-4 weeks now), very twitchy and difficult down low and rough/chugging at slow speed in first or second gear.
It improved somewhat up to the first service at 1000 km, after that I put on a 16T front sprocket and that made a good improvement to slow speed operation.
Roundabouts, traffic and so on are now much easier and smoother.

As you note it improves as the bike runs in further, I found it steadily improving as I've ridden it more. No doubt some of that is me getting used to the bikes characteristics and some of it is the drive-train running in more. I came off a Suzuki 650 inline four so the change to the big V-twin was a big difference.

bushy1962
50cc
50cc
City: Dudley
Year: 2009

Post by bushy1962 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Had the same problem on a test ride of a 20,000 miler, which i brought, thought i would get used to it but did'nt so took it Projex racing engineers in Cradley Heath [close to me luckly],£120 and an hour on the dyno and its like a different bike, hardly any snacthiness, only at very low revs when pulling away then its far smoother and more responcive, can't recommend it enough! :D

bushy1962
50cc
50cc
City: Dudley
Year: 2009

Post by bushy1962 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Sorry ment to say the £120 was for an ECU reprogram. :oops:

jimr1
50cc
50cc
City: Penn Yan NY
Model: SMT

Post by jimr1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:29 pm

OK guys, new to this forum and bike. Just picked up the SM-T last weekend and rode it for a short while, but through town and in tight turns at low gear, the throttle is difficult to control. From reading through the posts here, it sounds like the options are.......just deal with it through clutch control; give it time, and it'll work itself out; have the ECU reprogrammed; or replace the throttle with a less aggressive cam. What's the general consensus here? My bike is completely stock and only has 2400 miles.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens

Post by xaotikos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Remap ECU, new throttle cam and 16 front sprocket usually works well. I manage to get rid of it with complete modding :)

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012

Post by Thirdway » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:32 pm

With Akropovic cans.
Turned off the emission gubbins and closed loop control then a pro tuner altered the map slightly at the bottom end just to smooth the throttle response. Worked fine and still has the rapid fire throttle response of a competition bike without the need to use the clutch at slow speed. I didn't want it to be too tame, just easier to use.

I did buy an alternate throttle tube but didn't fit it. The OEM throttle has to be turned quite a lot as it is so I reckon it would probably be more of a pain to have an even more progressive version of the cam. It's all down to personal taste.

As for the 16 tooth sprocket ? I did that on the Ducati and it really didn't improve things, it just made top gear more of a useable gear and saved shifting down on motorways.