Ignition wire problem

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
Herb
125cc
125cc
City: Lutterworth
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Ignition wire problem

Post by Herb » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm

After my clutch slave failed last week, I have another, seemingly unrelated issue with the wiring to the ignition switch now. I could scream with frustration right now. The bike was dead when I move it from the garage. A bit of investigation and it seems that the wire to the side of the ignition barrel must be damaged. If I put the slightest pressure on this wire, everything comes on. Take the pressure off, and electrics go off again.

What is this wire? It seems to be moulded to the plastic housing. Can it be removed to check everything? Can this part of the harness be replaced?
image.jpg

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Ignition wire problem

Post by linehand » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:52 pm

It sounds like you've certainly located the problem.
I haven't had mine apart but it looks like the plastic shroud should come off...I'm sure you can get it apart and make repairs depending on how in depth you feel like getting. Worth a try in my opinion cause I'm sure the replacement cylinder isn't cheap!

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm

I put a monkey on it it's the key antenna. It's not physical (CRC won't work !). You'll have to split the cases and go in. Better than replacing the base gaskets :lol:
1.jpg

Herb
125cc
125cc
City: Lutterworth

Post by Herb » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Sorted. I understand problems with the wiring in this area are common, certainly on the adventures at least, mostly due to poor cable routing. So I thought I'd share my solution in case it helps anyone in the future.

After stripping out the ignition wiring, it seems my problem was a dodgy connection to the switch module, which screws onto the bottom of the barrel. I think this might have been caused by me raising the forks through the yokes. The wiring is corroded and fragile and I must have damaged it.

Here are the 2 cables in question:
IMG_0232.JPG
The top cable is the part of the loom that communicates with the chip in the key. Fortunately that wire seems ok.

My problem was the bottom wire. I tried to clean and repair the switch unit, but to no avail. I spoke to KTM and the part is not available separately. You have to buy a complete assembly for £360 and then have the keys recoded to the bike.

I was able to buy a complete barrel for £14.50 on eBay, not from an SMT, but from another KTM model. (Hopefully an SMT one might come up in the future.
IMG_0234.JPG
The wiring was slightly different, but I was able to solder the old connector to the correct switch wires. (I had to go to the cables rather than direct to the spade connectors, as I didn't want to risk damage to the only connector I have).
IMG_0237.JPG
I consider this a temporary fix, I'd rather get the correct part if I can, but desperately times call for desperate measures. At least I can make my trip this week. I was starting to panic.

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by linehand » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Nice fix Herb, I bet it lasts the life of the bike.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

Nice one Herb. Looks like I lost the bet :lol: